Tried Split Fins... Not Impressed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using Atomic Blades for all of my extensive 20 dive career. :wink: Last weekend, I bought a dry suit and a set of Hollis F-1s. I spent a bit over 2 hours in the pool on Sunday using the F-1s.

I mention the F-1s because they have a good reputation around here and I don't see much on the Atomic Blades. My opinion after my little bit of experience is that the Atomic Blades are very good fins. And they are neutrally buoyant, so a good choice for warm water. Comparing them to the F-1s, it seemed like the Blades gave a bit more propulsion from flutter kicks, about the same as the F-1s for frog kicks and helicopter kicks, and the F-1s seem to work better for back kicks.

I hope that helps.

I've been using Atomic Blades for all of my extensive 20 dive career. :wink: Last weekend, I bought a dry suit and a set of Hollis F-1s. I spent a bit over 2 hours in the pool on Sunday using the F-1s.

I mention the F-1s because they have a good reputation around here and I don't see much on the Atomic Blades. My opinion after my little bit of experience is that the Atomic Blades are very good fins. And they are neutrally buoyant, so a good choice for warm water. Comparing them to the F-1s, it seemed like the Blades gave a bit more propulsion from flutter kicks, about the same as the F-1s for frog kicks and helicopter kicks, and the F-1s seem to work better for back kicks.

I hope that helps.

How stiff are the Atomics? I so want to like them for student gear... but haven't had a chance to try them out myself.

How stiff are the Atomics? I so want to like them for student gear... but haven't had a chance to try them out myself.

I don't have much basis for comparison. I now have the F-1s. I looked at/held/felt the Mares Power Planas and some SP Jets. In comparison, my impression is that the Atomic Blades are "medium" stiff. Definitely not as stiff as Jets. But, not all floppy, either. They feel a bit different than the Jets and F-1s, too, I guess because they are not a solid rubber fin, like the F-1s and Jets. Sorry, but that's probably about the most "help" I can offer. Other than you are welcome to come down, get in our local quarry with me and try 'em for yourself. I'm sure I'll be looking for dive buddies this summer, for any excuse to get in the quarry and swim around. :D

I dive with what is any earlier incarnation of what is Atomics Smoke on the Water, and love them, including to Frog kick. My wife has split fins that I hate, but she loves. THe point here is that not all split fins are created equal and neither are divers. What suits one divers personal comfort and type of diving will totally wrong for someone else. "Split fins" is a term that covers dozens, if not scores, of different designs , materials and stiffness. Don't maqke the mistake of lumping them altogether. After you try a few you may find one you like, or you may not. That's ok with me. Just don't take my atomics away.
DivemasterDennis

"Just say NO to split fins!"

"Just say NO to split fins!"

Just say "no THANK YOU"

There's no reason to be rude.

:d

---------- Post added April 14th, 2015 at 06:31 PM ----------

That's just silly. And say YES to cramps?

Interestingly, while I'm not as anti-split fins as I may come across (ok... I might actually be worse) everyone I know who dives splits does so because they got cramps... and as soon as they switched to splits the cramps went away. Of course they all had horrible finning technique as well. The only thing I can conclude is that apparently one of the benefits of split fins is that they allow people with horrible finning technique to continue to use that horrible finning technique without getting cramps.

From a physiology standpoint cramps are caused by one of a handful of things:
- using muscles inappropriately (wrong muscles and/or wrong motion and/or over extended/overexerted)
- magnesium and/or potassium deficiency
- dehydration
- a physiologic or morphologic issue reducing effective circulation or innervation to the impacted area

I think I'll offer any student who has leg/foot cramps and wants to spend $200 on split fins to get rid of them... a $100 propulsion clinic. If their cramps can't be fixed by fixing their finning technique... I'll give them their money back. (Along with a potassium supplement and some stretching exercises.)

:D

So, to recap what I've gotten so far...

• Dive Rite seems to have a fan base and good recommendations
  • Atomic Blades aren't bad either
  • Some folks LOVE their splits, some not-so-much
  • Slingshots, powerbands and the like are nonsense. (as I sort of suspected)
  • I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "You're going to die" :D

I may check around the dive club, see if anybody has a set of atomic blades I can borrow to try out. I know that nobody has the dive rite fins yet. Maybe I can find a used set on ebay or scuba gear swap and sell on facebook.

Keep the comments coming.

Steve

The fins you use should dictate what you are doing. Photography? You definitely don't want split fins. Doing 800 yard/meter swim tests for your dive master program? You definitely want split fins. When you have to haul ass, split fins are your friend. I use Hollis F1 fins that I love, but they are nowhere near as fast as split fins when it comes to swimming hard.

---------- Post added April 14th, 2015 at 03:55 PM ----------

I had the Apollo Bio fins. I'm going to redo the 800 yard swim test with them, as one of the other candidates was just hauling ass with his.

Back
Top Bottom