Trilobites, do you really need one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used one to cut open an MRE pouch recently.:) Very versatile tool.

It is sometimes necessary to eat MREs but I hope you were doing it out of necessity rather than pleasure. I swear I am still constipated from dehydrated pork patties and that was 25 years ago.:cheers:

I am relatively new to the hobby and whilst I understand the need to carry a cutting device "just incase", how often does one really need it?

Short answer, it depends.

If your chance of running into a need for a cutting device is small, a small or medium sized sharp knife would be fine. The Trilobite is an excellent line cutter, however it is limited in the size it can cut. If I only carried only one cutting device, I'd choose a knife.

Since I dive solo and in areas that have entangelment hazards , I always carry a Trilobite, Shears, and my traditional BFK. Depending on what rig I grab, I may also have a small sharp knife.

I did a night dive on the Capt Tony in Boynton Beach. I got caught up in fishing line around my first stage that I could not get out of and was much too strong to break. I pulled my Trilobyte from my waist strap, cut the line, and was on my way.

After using the Trilobite, I wished it had been invented sooner. I got tangled in an illegal long line set out to poach rockfish, before I saw anything I was wrapped with hooks in my wetsuit. Cut myself out with my BFK, but I was sure glad it happened when I still had a lot of air in my tank. F'ed the wetsuit up, used a lot of aqua seal after that dive.

Bob

It is sometimes necessary to eat MREs but I hope you were doing it out of necessity rather than pleasure. I swear I am still constipated from dehydrated pork patties and that was 25 years ago.:cheers:
I must confess that it was pleasure. Some of the newer ones are pretty tasty.

I did a night dive on the Capt Tony in Boynton Beach. I got caught up in fishing line around my first stage that I could not get out of and was much too strong to break. I pulled my Trilobyte from my waist strap, cut the line, and was on my way.

I've carried it for years, this is the only time I used it other than to take line off the reef. You can bet I'm glad I had it:)

Been diving over 30 years and still don't have a Trilobite, or seatbelt cutter. Since I'm kind of DIR, actually Holgarthian, I grab a new steak knife every year or 2 and cut a couple of inches off the end. Years ago I made a couple of sheaths using 2" stiff webbing and I've been happy ever since.

Michael

I carry a ceramic cutter plus EMT shears for harder stuff, like steel line or heavy net. I carry two cutters for when I drop the first. They're small and the ceramic are low maintenance.

Entanglement is a risk you see in incident reports. If you're entangled and don't get free, you're not coming back up. DIR is fairly minimal equipment oriented. They have a cutter/knife on their gear list.

A big f***** knife might be overkill or the wrong tool depending. But not a line cutter, and a backup. I've used mine, but not for entanglement. Lots of stuff is best left ashore. A cutting tool for entanglement isn't one of them.

Back
Top Bottom