Trilobites, do you really need one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive often in limited visibility where lines are a hazard, and as a result I have been significantly entangled three times. Once with PowerPro (or similar) offshore fishing line that a gorilla probably could not break and I certainly cannot break; twice in nylon line from someone's reel. Happily, all of these are easy to cut. Steel fishing leader is another story. For that, I carry shears.

On my left computer strap is a blunt tip knife, and it's what I generally use. On the right computer is a trilobite. On my waist are the shears, where I can reach them with either hand. Overkill? I dunno. But I have a strong desire to surface.

I carried a BFK for many years. After it got entangled once (not one of the above times), I moved it to the inside of my calf. The second time (likewise not counted above), I moved it to the "spares" box in the garage, where it has since lived.

Just my 2 PSI.

They're small, light, stay out of the way, and may be needed.

No reason not to spend $20 and carry one... just my opinion, yours may be different...

In open water I carry a blunt tip knife, tribolite, and trauma sheers. Sheers are for steel leader line and the other two are for thinner lines. These items are all quite small and can be stored out of the way. I honestly don't even notice they are there unless I need them.

In the cave I only carry two trilobites since the only thing of concern for entanglement is cave line.

In 300 dives I have never personally had to cut myself free but I have used it cleaning up fishing line on the wreck. I have had two different buddies become entangled. One in a cave and the other inside a wreck. Both of their situations went much easier being able to simply cut themselves free and continue the dive.

Like others, I've never had to cut myself free, but I have used a cutting device for reef clean up. Just yesterday I along with a few other divers got rid of huge net draped across a reef. For this I used a shear and it was fantastic. It cut through rope and netting with ease quickly, while not posing as a cutting risk when you are trying work quickly since it 90+ft. A great plus when I had to spend some of the time cutting a huge crab out of the net.
I also have a ceramic blade trilobite on my left shoulder strap, but I've never used it, yet. Just there for redundancy.
I see no reason not to have one too, but if you decide on just carrying only one cutting device, I would recommend a shear.

Actually I think my title should have been "How often do you use one", or any other type of cutting device?

A better question to ask is "What's going to happen if you do need one and don't have it?"

"you can always spot a noob from all the stuff he/she carries"

Line cutter really wouldn't qualify for a "christmas tree" diver designation.

where a person dives has a lot to do with the entanglement risk, some of the wrecks I've been on up here have a lot of fishing lines, and with the poor visibility, that makes it worse. I also do a lot of fishing and the recent popularity of braided line makes the risk worse since it's common for 30 lb test or more and that is almost impossible to break by hand.

I have cut line off of myself, other divers and most recently my float line when a fisherman decided to reel me in.

Most dive knives make great probes, hammers or pry bars. They seldom hold a really good edge, so for cutting they suck (but are better than nothing). A line cutter will go through lines and straps like nothing.

Given a choice of only one, I would say go with a ceramic line cutter, sharp forever, small and cheap to buy.

I second @Marie13 with the opinion that it is better to have and not need to use it than to need it and not have it. Never had to use one yet but would have to weigh up diving without a knife or cutter carefully (such as diving in a marine reserve where they are prohibited).

I currently dive with a knife, shears but am considering a Trilobite which will probably stay under my Perdix.

I second @Marie13 with the opinion that it is better to have and not need to use it than to need it and not have it. Never had to use one yet but would have to weigh up diving without a knife or cutter carefully (such as diving in a marine reserve where they are prohibited).

I currently dive with a knife, shears but am considering a Trilobite which will probably stay under my Perdix.

Trilobite lives on my Perdix strap. I add shears at my waist when I dive the Great Lakes. I’ve seen steel fishing line leader on at least one of the wrecks I dive in Lake Michigan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom