Trilobites, do you really need one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you should totally have one and wear it somewhere very easy for you to comfortably retrieve it when you need it. Get it now before a fisherman hooks you and you wish you had one.

Definitely want redundancy here; I carry a cutter (Hollis), shears and small fixed blade Spyderco knife distributed throughout my BP/W straps (1 on shoulder, two on opposite waist straps). Make purchasing at least a cutter (e.g. Trilobite) and if possible shears as a priority since they greatly improve your safety (both will cost around $50).
GJS

+1 for line cutter. Probably the least obtrusive, and potentially valuable, piece of ancillary kit available.

I am a fan of the Trilobite, but I also carry a small AL blunt tip knife.

I have a varied background from Commercial Salmon fishing boats in Alaska to long backcountry desert, forests jungle backpacking and would never be caught dead without at least 2 cutting devices. I see those environments, as well as underwater, to be "high danger potential." Therefore best to be prepared.

Knives can be such versatile, useful tools in the right hands. Wedging, prying, twisting, stabbing, swiping, Snacking, you name it!

That said, so far, my Trilobite gets 99.9% of the cutting tasks underwater. Usually its clearing some snagged strands of line (fishing line, mooring line, buoy lines, w/e). The Trilobite is soooo dang good at cutting....so effortless, that the knife has been demoted to the above."additional took usages" underwater :p

A big f***** knife might be overkill or the wrong tool depending.

I wouldn't suggest a BFK to anyone now, as there are better choices now for cutting devices, not to mention lighter. I keep using mine because it's been on most of my dives since '62, and I'd probably wind up swimming in circles if I took that weight off my right calf.

Although I keep it sharp, and cut myself out of the above mentioned monofilament, the most use has been as a pry bar. I have had to cut anchor line, not entangled, and the Trilobite or shears would not work due to the size of the line. The DIR steak knife intellectually sounds like a good solution, but I stick with what has worked for me over time, the old dog and new tricks thing.

If you know what you are going to encounter, taking only the tool needed is fine. If you don't, then plan accordingly. When I dive where I know fishermen use downriggers, a steel line and weight to hold the fishing line at depth, I bring along a pair of diagonal cutting pliers in case the shears are not up to the job. Of course I'm a bit more paranoid since I dive solo.

Bob

Okay I'm not talking about that group of extinct marine arachnomorph arthropods, but the cutting device......ya I looked that up, I'm not that smart!

Actually I think my title should have been "How often do you use one", or any other type of cutting device?

I am relatively new to the hobby and whilst I understand the need to carry a cutting device "just incase", how often does one really need it?

I see mixed signals when it comes from the more experienced diver, "you can always spot a noob from all the stuff he/she carries", to "you noobs should be carrying more kit, especially two cutting devices"?

Whereabouts are you running into the need to use one, and has it really been a "life or death situation", or more of a "I should clean that up so some fish doesn't get caught on it" scenario?

My goal is to find the proper balance between being a smart new diver versus looking like a new diver with a smart new kit.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and share your stories, I truly value your opinions.

GB...

They were all the rage a few years ago...don't leave home without one...$40+ dollars...cut you out of anything...buy two...blah...blah...blah...

If you've never needed one...you don't need one...just another gadget...''never used tool kit fodder''...

Attached...a much better...more versatile option...solid titanium...less expensive...if you don't lose it...you'll never need another...

Best...

Warren
titanium DGX knife.jpg

Not nonsense at all...spend all the money you like on something you'll never use...
Apparently you are not reading this thread...see post #11 for example, and several others. The fact that you perhaps have never used one doesn't mean no one has.

Apparently you are not reading this thread...see post #11 for example, and several others. The fact that you perhaps have never used one doesn't mean no one has.

You're correct...apparently...

Nothing I can't do with my skeleton knife...

W...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom