Trip report "Its all Bobs fault, Pow wow, and "The Squeeze"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, you learned a good if painful lesson about diving when you're congested. You might enjoy watching this video on equalization (warning: It's long).

I've had one bad sinus squeeze, and I agree, it's like an icepick being driven into your face. Horribly painful, and very much to be avoided.

One thing I'd like to comment upon, though -- You don't give the profile you were diving, but if you still had 1700 psi in your tank, it would be my guess that you had not been terribly deep or been there terribly long. If, in fact, the max depth was the 58 feet that you list, a direct ascent to the surface was not only possible but highly likely to be safe. Staying to do a safety stop at 15 feet when you are distressed and barely maintaining is neither necessary nor prudent.

It's really useful to do some further reading about nitrogen loading and decompression. What you get in an OW class is very minimal, and doesn't leave you with much information on which to make decisions on how to handle a situation like the one you found yourself in. You and your companion could have made a different decision and shortened your ordeal, at little or no risk to either of you. But you need to understand WHY that is true.

Edited to add: Every diver should have his own gauges. Doing anything else makes you entirely dependent on someone else for your safety. If you get separated from your buddies (which can happen!) you have no way of knowing where you are in the water, or how fast you are ascending if you abort the dive.

One thing I'd like to comment upon, though -- You don't give the profile you were diving, but if you still had 1700 psi in your tank, it would be my guess that you had not been terribly deep or been there terribly long. If, in fact, the max depth was the 58 feet that you list, a direct ascent to the surface was not only possible but highly likely to be safe. Staying to do a safety stop at 15 feet when you are distressed and barely maintaining is neither necessary nor prudent.

It's really useful to do some further reading about nitrogen loading and decompression. What you get in an OW class is very minimal, and doesn't leave you with much information on which to make decisions on how to handle a situation like the one you found yourself in. You and your companion could have made a different decision and shortened your ordeal, at little or no risk to either of you. But you need to understand WHY that is true.

Edited to add: Every diver should have his own gauges. Doing anything else makes you entirely dependent on someone else for your safety. If you get separated from your buddies (which can happen!) you have no way of knowing where you are in the water, or how fast you are ascending if you abort the dive.

Thank you for your response, I will definilty check out that video. As far as the time down, it was 25 mins, including the 5 mins I took to get to the surface. I learned after that I possibly would have been fine to not take my decompression stop but at this time and so early in this world I am glad that I stuck to the checklist of what I should do. I knew I had more then enough air to do the decompression and it was me who stopped the ascent to do the decompression. Afterwards I did learn the whys but even still Im satisfied of making the decsion to take the 3 minutes, and I knew that taking the decomp would not add to the injury where as at that point I wasnt taking a chance even if it was highly unlikey that Id complicate matters more with the stop.

Also to clarify, I had my own gauges, I however did not have my own watch or the computer which had the watch built in. I knew my depth at all times and my air, it was only that wonderful little count down to decomp being over that I was lacking.

LM

Glad to hear (read) you're recovering. You and Nathan had a good dive going up to the squeeze incident, and your handling of the problem - including keeping your wits about you and following Melissa's lead was excellent. Sorry I had to leave the BBQ before the bonfire started - duties at home called. Get well and get back in the water!

Another great dive log! I enjoyed reading about the whole experience. Personally, I blame Bob. Had he allowed ya'll to dive Hamilton Pool none of this would have happened. OK, that's probably not true, but we can blame Bob anyway! :D

In fact, the advice TSandM gave you is very good. The 3 minute stop at 20 feet is a safety stop...not a decompression stop per se. Safety stops only add a margin of safety. They aren't necessarily mandatory. Don't take this the wrong way. I'm not recommending that you start blowing off your safety stops. They are a good thing, and you should take them every chance you get as they do give you a chance to do a little more off gassing. What I'm trying to say is that in the event of an emergency it's a good idea to skip the safety stop and surface rather than take it and face more severe consequences.

In your example it doesn't sound like the safety stop was mandatory. You weren't diving deep or for an extended time, nor were you going to be diving more after your sinus squeeze. That said, you probably didn't have a lot of off gassing to do. Of course, this is all pure speculation since I don't know exactly what your dive profile was.

On the other hand, the injury you described was not exacerbated by taking a safety stop for 3 minutes. It's your ear/sinus, your pain, and you know what you were feeling better than anyone. If you felt like you could do the safety stop then there was no reason not to complete it.

Just a little more info to mull over. While taking a safety stop is an excellent practice I don't want you to think that safety stops are mandatory under all circumstances.

Bill thanks, it was enjoyable, although the bonfire well with that all you missed was boys making to big a fire and then having to use the hose to kill it lol

K-Valve , yes all Bobs fault lol thanks, Im glad someone agrees, as far as the safety stop yes I see both your points, I know I need to learn more on the theory and such. As far as making the choice to take the stop, at the time I did not know I had a choice, in my mind I was thinking "okay ear and eye suck but if I dont stop I will end up with the bends" Which would suck more. I was aware enough to remember the stop so that pleases me a bit, I truely felt like I could do the safety stop and like you said that made it to where i had no reason to not complete one.

I look forward to learning more and in no way do I feel you are suggesting I blow off my training, I had this talk a bit with the dive master yesterday, I will never in this sport or anything in life do something I am not comfortable with, but I do appreciate knowing that had the situation been worse and my eyeball was literally poking out then I would have been okay to surface without the stop.

One day I suspect Ill know more and understand where that line is, the line between what I can and cannot get away with but for now I will keep an open mind but know that with how new I am that I will error on the side of caution. I would appreciate any links for additional education on this topic.

BTW to me 58 ' is deep lol, remember this was dive 8 for me, I read you all talking about going to 120 or more and I think "buttheads are not very smart, dont they know thats deep, "

Biggest thing now is learning my own body more, learning when I am congested in the sinus area and learning when NOT to dive. I got it down on WHEN to dive, its the not part I need to perfect. Had I been aware of myself this whole incident would not have happened, but its still Bobs fault!

I would bet that Bob is not even a diver. Being 4 against one, I'm surprised you guys didn't just jump him and do the Hamilton Pool dive anyway.:D

Bob - "Boss, these 4 people jumped me at the gate and went diving in the pool after I told them not to"

Boss - "Yeah, right. Now, about that random drug test..."

It’s all Bobs fault, pow wow and “The Squeeze” « Carolynbennett’s Mindless Thoughts

Warning, its once again long, appreciate any feedback on my incident. Thanks

What a bummer. :shakehead: I hope you get well soon and that equalization will become easier with the more dives you do. Sounds like you got the dive bug like the rest of us thinking about the weekend diving and all during the week. :D Best to you diving in the future, practicing and having much more fun.

Regards,

Shawn

I would bet that Bob is not even a diver. Being 4 against one, I'm surprised you guys didn't just jump him and do the Hamilton Pool dive anyway.:D

Bob - "Boss, these 4 people jumped me at the gate and went diving in the pool after I told them not to"

Boss - "Yeah, right. Now, about that random drug test..."

Me and Melissa thought about it, but the guys were a bit scared, they didnt want to be saved by girls. I tried to explain to Chris and Bill it was okay and if they are scared to just say they are scared.

What a bummer. :shakehead: I hope you get well soon and that equalization will become easier with the more dives you do. Sounds like you got the dive bug like the rest of us thinking about the weekend diving and all during the week. :D Best to you diving in the future, practicing and having much more fun.

Regards,

Shawn

The thing I am most upset about is taking time off. Even when I was in pain I was pissed when I surfaced and realized I had so much air left, I mean seriously that was half a dives worth of air... if Im gonna get squeezed it would have been nicer for it to happen when i was at say 700 psi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom