Triple-L BC's and Products in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ordered the Gemini on 4/20, received it today. Seems like a great product. I really haven't been happy with any of my BC's, ever.

The Gemini L fits me well over my clothing, 5'11', 210, 44C, 36W. The dual inflators will be a little tricky. The rear trim pockets will come in handy, and the quick-ditch is a new feature for me.

I'm used to BC air trapping, as I had a Sherwood Full Stab jacket that was famous for keeping me on the surface. It always floated me face up, no matter how full it was. However, it was a bit large, and finally the inflator hose split on it, and Sherwood won't furnish repair parts (no longer available).

So, I'm interested to jump into the water with this thing, and try out all the gadgets, ditching weights, rear wing use, filling and dumping, etc.

My Orion BC arrived today! I am totally impressed with the overall quality. I do see that the removeable weight pouches will be hanging by the velcro when horizontal, but I don't think I will have to put enought weight in them for it to be an issue. Maybe 3-4 lbs. each. I like how literally every piece is adjustable and or removeable. I let out the cumberbund to close evenly, but the strap for the belly band has way too much length! I will try it in the pool this weekend. If it works in the water as well as it appears its going to, I highly recommend this product!
Curt

smay28:
Let us know for sure how the fit is when it shows up.. Also remind us of your dimensions..

Okay, FedEx just delivered my Orion, and naturally, I opened it as fast as I can! So I put it on and it fits around the waist... but I have to cinch the shoulder straps all the way down and I still have an inch and a half... you think that is okay? Wont it loosen in the water, so that means that it will be even more loose in the shoulders?

Dont know what to do now ?! :06:

mle_osu:
Okay, FedEx just delivered my Orion, and naturally, I opened it as fast as I can! So I put it on and it fits around the waist... but I have to cinch the shoulder straps all the way down and I still have an inch and a half... you think that is okay? Wont it loosen in the water, so that means that it will be even more loose in the shoulders?

Dont know what to do now ?! :06:

Don't know what the water temp is like in DFW area.. Did you try it on with your full wetsuit on your bod?

mle_osu:

Dont know what to do now ?!
06.gif
Ouch...

OK, like smay28 wrote, first try it over your normal wetsuit.

I assume you've got the waistband down below your rib cage? If you're short-waisted, you may not have much room to play with...

I wouldn't think it would stretch much in the water -- that normally applies to nylon webbing, and you're talking about a lot more structure here. But it may feel like it as it gets more flexible, and it sure won't shrink...

Thing is, you're certainly going to have to make up your mind before you get it wet, so you can return it if necessary. If you do have to return it, the biggest issue is going to be whether Triple-L charges you the significant re-stocking fee or not. You'll have to convince them the mistake wasn't your fault; the fact that you're exchanging, rather than returning, may have a bearing on how they call that. I don't think their policy has been quite clear on that.

Best bet would be to carfully measure yourself again, and compare to the size charts. If you're at all within the M size range, then I'd say you've got a good argument... especially following their guidance to go larger if you're wearing a wetsuit.

But if you actually fall solidly into the S range, but ordered a M just because they don't make this BC in S, then you may have a tougher argument... though the wetsuit argument might still work... or just throwing yourself at their mercy.
03.gif

Please let us all know how this works out. I think you've gotten wrapped up into the single greatest potential issue regarding Triple-L BCs.

Hey, worst case... you could just sell the BC privately, and probably still come out ahead compared to having to pay the re-stocking fee and shipping.

Good luck!

--Marek

Well I've had my Orion about 6 months or so, and have about 20 dives on it I'd guess. Still love the thing. It dives (IMNSHO) better than my older (circa. 1970's) Zeagle Concept.

Charley

Marek K:
Hey, worst case... you could just sell the BC privately, and probably still come out ahead compared to having to pay the re-stocking fee and shipping.

Good luck!

--Marek

Great Advise.. If it doesn't work out Ebay it!!!! Someone will snap it up in no time..

Well, after much debate and putting it on, and taking it off, and putting it on again... and getting a friend to look at it, I think I have decided to keep it. I looked at the size charts, and I fit in the waist and bust of a medium, but not the height... and they said the waist and bust are the most important of the sizes. I wouldnt be able to fit in the small, so next step is off to buy a wetsuit and regulator setup!

I'll let you know how it dives!! Thanks for all your help! Looking forward to a summer full of diving!

mle_osu:
Well, after much debate and putting it on, and taking it off, and putting it on again... and getting a friend to look at it, I think I have decided to keep it. I looked at the size charts, and I fit in the waist and bust of a medium, but not the height... and they said the waist and bust are the most important of the sizes. I wouldnt be able to fit in the small, so next step is off to buy a wetsuit and regulator setup!

I'll let you know how it dives!! Thanks for all your help! Looking forward to a summer full of diving!
Yeah, it'd be a tough call... but for the price versus the return policy, it's easier to make the decision.

With a 7mm wetsuit, I'm calculating that it would tighten up the straps by around an inch or so on the surface. And proportionally less for a thinner suit, and/or at depth.

Hard to tell from the website image, but if it's still too loose with a wetsuit, is there any way the Orion shoulder strap webbing could be shortened by un-doing the stitching holding either the male or the female releases, or both; shortening the webbing; and re-stitching the releases back on? See previously in this thread... stitching the webbing is very do-able and secure, with the proper sewing awl and heavy-duty nylon thread. About an hour's work or two, once you get the hang of it. Though hard on the fingers. :eyebrow:

--Marek

First Dive with the Gemini Hybrid.

Pool Depth 12 ft.
Weight:2-2lbs in the back trim pockets, 2x3lb in the left drop pouch, 1-4lb in the right drop pouch.

I was concerned that the BC would trap air, and so went overweighted - 6lbs overweighted, as it turns out.

BC fit perfectly, and performed flawlessly. At the surface, with either bag 1/2 inflated, the BC floated me heads-up. Dumped air easily enough, although the pull-strings in the inflator hose were kind of hard to open. Gentle inflation from the valves. Extremely trim in the water. Weight ditching went without a hitch. Dropped the 6lbs on the left and stayed on the bottom. Pulling the 4lbs on the right caused me to rise (I held onto the bag to keep from launching).

BC was very comfortable unless fully inflated, when it tended to squeeze. Fully inflating the jacket and wings floated me on my back, face up without effort. Of course, it has like 60lbs of lift, so that wasn't unexpected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom