Tropic Air Belize Baggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwakeman

New
Reaction score
Going to Belize next week and noticed the baggage allowance for Tropic Air (which we are flying from Belize City to San Pedro on Amebergris Caye) is only 1 bag @ 35lbs + a carry on. This isn't nearly enough for my dive gear, clothes and photo equipment (housings, flashes, ports, etc.)

Any one have experience with Tropic Air? How tight are they with this policy?

Thanks,
Doug

I use Tropic many times a year, and they always carry anything you turn up with. I've arrived internationally with three large and very heavy bags - they took them. I've arrived from Belize City with a bicycle - they took it. Never any suggestion of charging extra. Everyone else I know has the same experience. You need have no concerns over Tropic.

I've done three trips to Belize, and have never had a problem with my luggage going from BZE to San Pedro. If the plane is overweight, they will take luggage off, and you may see your luggage on the taxiway as your plane departs. Don't panic. Your luggage will be right behind you on the next flight. In fact, it will probably be on the next Mayan Island Air flight so you won't have to wait an hour for the next Tropic Air flight to come in.

And if they do have to send you luggage on a later plane and your hotel is marked on the bags, they'll get then to your hotel at their expense.

I was just there about a month ago and flew with Tropic three times with a fifty pound bag plus a fairly heavy carry-on and experienced no problems other than my checked bag missing my flight and arriving on the next one. Just leave enough connection time between flights and you should have no problem.

I've used Tropic Air every time I've been to AC and have never had issues with luggage allowances. I take 2 50-lb checked bags, plus a carryon and a backpack. Like the others said, if the plane is too heavy, they will take suitcases off, but they are very good at getting it on the next plane. If it doesn't make the next plane, they get it to you as soon as possible and will bring it to your hotel (no cost to you). The most I've ever had to wait was 2 hours, not a big deal at all. Just pack a swim suit in your carryon and if you do have to wait an hour or 2 for your suitcases, suit up and head to the pool bar! :14:

Yes, I've flown Tropic many times. This limit at least up to now has not been commonly applied. I have never had a bag refused. I have frequently brought the max wt allowed by American - Two full bags and two carry ons. I am not aware of this limit -practically speaking unless it is a recent occurrence.

thank you for this thread! I was just rading the baggage restictions on the Tropic Air website and freaked! There is no way I could get my gear and photo equip tomeet their posted weights. Let alone my wifes bags...

We will conintue planning now after my small stroke clears up.

I hope it really does clear up!

Back on t(r)opic, I arrived on a much delayed international flight well after dark, long after Tropic were due to stop operations for the day. Nonetheless, they kept their desk open and flew several planes over to San Pedro that night (I landed well after 8pm). The last one just contained the luggage they hadn't been able to get onto the passenger flights, AND they then organised a fleet of taxis to get the bags to people's hotels that evening.

They REALLY do go that extra mile.

Awsome! This is giving me a very good feeling about the trip. I thrive on customer service, something that is hard to come by. its impressive to hear these accounts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom