Trying to choose fins - RK3 HD vs F1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novarlynx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good evening,

After having a rough first time trying to dive in my Viking drysuit with my Mares X3 fins and talking to some divers, I want to get an upgrade. Did a lot of research on the internet and I've narrowed down to two - Apeks RK3 HD, and Hollis F1.

So far I am leaning towards RK3 HD but I wanted to make this post --- anyone here whose dived these, can you give your thoughts please?

I want to choose one that will give me good propulsion diving dry, but I can also use pretty well diving in a wetsuit, and won't put a lot of strain on my legs.

Thanks!

Here on Bonaire, I see more and more coworkers switching to the RK3's, even while we sell the Hollis ourself...

Didn't try them myself, but it must say something ...

I tried the RK3 HD and regular. I really like them. I did not need the extra negative weight so I went with the regulars. I switch between wetsuit and dry suit diving regularly. If I was only diving in a dry suit I might have chosen the HD. I have not tried the F1s.

Good evening,

After having a rough first time trying to dive in my Viking drysuit with my Mares X3 fins and talking to some divers, I want to get an upgrade. Did a lot of research on the internet and I've narrowed down to two - Apeks RK3 HD, and Hollis F1.

So far I am leaning towards RK3 HD but I wanted to make this post --- anyone here whose dived these, can you give your thoughts please?

I want to choose one that will give me good propulsion diving dry, but I can also use pretty well diving in a wetsuit, and won't put a lot of strain on my legs.

Thanks!
I've got F1's and RK3HD. Whilst I like both, I wouldn't use the F1's for diving in a wetsuit as they're a bit too negative and cumbersome. On the other hand, great for drysuit.

I've found the RK3HD strikes a happy medium which makes it suitable for both configurations. Just my personal opinion mind you!

I have both the Deep 6 Eddy fins and the RK3 HD.

The Deep 6 Eddy fins are comfortable with my wetsuit. However with my drysuit I prefer using the RK3 HD. The RK3 HD helps keep my feet down.

View media item 209694
Good evening,

Thanks!

Hello. This is an excerpt from one of my post......I didn't know how to copy the link.

My experience with fins is actually limited. I dove U.S. Divers "Blades." along with U.S. Divers "Rocket fins for 20 years. (They were both great fins.) One pair of my Blades were Yellow, purposely bought for visibility working as a Divemaster in the early 2000's. I also had a pair of Scubapro Jet Fins for about ten years. I REALLY liked those.
I am currently diving Apeks RK3 HD's which are both heavier, and stiffer than the RK3's.
I bought a DUI TLS 350 Drysuit in 1999. It was suggested that I try ankle weights "Training Wheels." until I got used to the suit. The blades were fairly light, and I kept weights on my ankles for a long time. The "Blades were kind of light, and the weights balanced out perfectly. (Just a thought.)
Iv'e had numerous.....minor inconveniences I'll say, as far as, fin storage.
The Apeks fins have a hole in the center that you can you to hang them up, saving on damage, or distortion of the rubber.
I am a firm believer in "Diving." with what you are comfortable with, like most S.C.U.B.A. gear this may include "Trial and Error.
Cheers.

https://www.deepbluediving.org/jet-fin-vs-rocket-fin/[/MEDIA]

Back
Top Bottom