Twinnies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everybody, I must thank you for all the advice. I feel much more knowledgeable in the decision I must make. Evidently, If I go steel, that entails a drysuit, which is reasonable. I don't really want to pulling myself up a string line from 45 mt whilst wearing steel doubles, either. The Aluminum alternative won't really be useful into the future, but is a good springboard into using double tanks and should trim nicely, and is much lower cost/committment. At this stage I think it's a better purchase, and should provide me with enough gas for light deco. And, as everybody has stated, I shall get more tanks into the future, and yes Kern they will be 12L x 232bar.

A bit of administrivia. Which AL80 is which. There is a 240bar 11.5L tank and 207bar 11.1L tank. Which one do I want? Secondly, what type of weighting will I use to combat the extra positive buoyancy of the aluminum tanks. I know some people use V-Weights... But they're not ditchable. Together with a Stainless Steel Backplate, that's just the same as having steel tanks. So.. What do people do?

A bit of administrivia. Which AL80 is which. There is a 240bar 11.5L tank and 207bar 11.1L tank. Which one do I want?

Sounds to me as though the 240bar 11.5L cylinder is what our American brethren call an AL100. Yuppers ... at rated pressure that comes out to about 97.5 cft. So it probably is an AL100.

You want the AL80 or S80 which is the 207 bar 11.1L cylinder. The AL100s are beastly heavy and quite large and I don't know about their buoyancy characteristics.

Seems that Luxfer has recently changed their tank lineup. The SA series is no longer available. Some have been folded into the S0 series, & some discontinued. I think what they call an aluminium 80 in the US is an S080, 11.1lt x 207 bar, it actually holds 77.4cft. Anyway, that's the most likely one you'll get in Oz these days as it has an ISO7866 standard stamp. See chart below;

L6X® aluminum cylinder specifications - Luxfer: Setting The Standard Worldwide

Seems that Luxfer has recently changed their tank lineup. The SA series is no longer available. Some have been folded into the SO series, & some discontinued. What they call an aluminium 80 in the US is an SO80, 11.1lt x 207 bar, it actually holds 77.4cft. See chart below;

L6X® aluminum cylinder specifications - Luxfer: Setting The Standard Worldwide

Hehehe... That's the exact chart I was looking at before, trying to determine the difference between the 11.5 and 11.1L cylinders.

...But does that mean I'll have some difficulty finding AL80's, or Al77.4's in Melbourne Australia?

I think it'll be a special order for most retailers. As long as Aquanaut, the Oz distributer has them in stock, it shouldn't be a problem or take too long.

Just ask for a Luxfer aluminium 80, seems strange for a metric country, but scuba tanks hear are often referred to as capacity in cft.

For me, it's far more difficult to get Halcyon gear/servicing/warranties. Oxycheq is rather convenient, and it's far cheaper. ...?
Several posters, whose opinions I respect, have suggested that Oxycheq's customer service may be less 'enthusiastic' than that of Halcyon. I have not had that experience, but really haven't needed anything of note from Oxycheq, so I don't have a basis for any negative experience to even occur. I think you summed up your situation very well, 'Oxycheq is convenient' and 'far cheaper'. It would seem a good choice for you and I really don't think there is a demonstrable difference in quality between the two, sufficient to offset cost and convenience. If you work through a LDS in your gear purchase, the LDS becomes your advocate with the company in the (very unlikely) event you have gear-related issues. The point about the corrugated hose differences between Oxycheq and Halcyon is valid. But, I have to say, I actually prefer the Oxycheq ('non-elastic') hose in many ways.
I would consider switching to a stainless backplate for better trim with difference in pricing.
I find that a SS plate works well for me in all diving situations, and the price difference is trivial in the grand scheme of equipment costs. But, I also have bought all of my BPs used, so the prices for my SS BPs have been the equivalent of a new AL BP, or less. I do have one AL BP that I bought (used) about 18 months ago, that I now use for diving heavy steel tanks (double HP130s) with a (3mm) wetsuit, simply because I am so negative in that configuration that I do not need the extra 4 lbs the SS BP contributes. Otherwise I find a SS BP to be great for virtually every diving condition, singles and doubless. My intended point was, however, if you already have an AL BP, you can use it, and won't require a SS BP, unless you want to buy a second BP - not a bad idea, just not absletuely necessary.
So you think a 40lbs wing wouldn't be adequate? I have heard reports of people regretting the added bulk and nonstrealiminess of larger wings.
With a 7mm westuit, 40 pounds would be adequate for AL80s. In fact, it would probably work for HP80s, and 100s. If you have a 40 pound wing designed for twin tanks, it is not unreasonable. I would personally go with a 50, to make sure I had the option of using it with heavier tanks in the future. I don't think you will notice a big difference in bulk and 'nonstrealiminess' between a 40 and a 50 lb wing. (As I initially mentioned, my Oxycheq is a 50 lb wing and it is VERY streamlined, and is probably my favorite wing overall.) Where you see those concerns expressed is with some of the really big wings. For example, I have an older Dive Rite Super Wing - 77 lbs of lift - and it is definitely bulky. But, it is still functional. OMS makes a 94 lb wing and I have yet to fiure out why anyone needs that much lift.
I have heard reports of these Al80's. I believe the metric equivalent is approximately an 11L tank, which sounds adequate for my needs. How are buoyancy characteristics?
As you can imagine, those tanks require that you add weight, compared to double HP100s, for example, or double HP 80s. I love their trim, and they are absolutely my favorite doubles set for relaxed recreational diving on coastal (NC) wrecks. With a drysuit, in fresh water, and a SS BP, I add 14lbs of weight with my 80s. With my HP100s, I only add 8 lbs.
Together with a thick wetsuit, would I struggle to remain neutral at shallow stops?
Not if you are properly weigted to begin with. You can adjust your weight to accomodate whatever tank set you use. You will just have to add more with double AL80s than you would with (most) double HP steels.
what type of weighting will I use to combat the extra positive buoyancy of the aluminum tanks. I know some people use V-Weights... But they're not ditchable. Together with a Stainless Steel Backplate, that's just the same as having steel tanks. So.. What do people do?
Weightbelt, for any added weight that is needed. I mentioned, above, needing 14 lbs when I dive my 80s with my drysuit. I put 8 on a belt, and 6 on my back - I don't use a solid V-weight, rather I stow three 2lb soft weight in the midpoint groove of the tanks, between my wing and my backplate.
Reading a little, I understand the HP 10's have the same working volume as a LP 12, but with slightly worse trim. Considering I'm roughly 6.2, twin LP12's or AL80's sound like better options.
A reasonable point to consider. The 100s are shorter tanks. Tank selection is largely a matter of personal preference. As I mentioned a number of divers in the US express affinity for double 100s. I am 5'11" and love mine. My dive buddy is 6'6" and loves his 100s. I have not heard that the trim of HP100s is 'worse' than that of LP12Ls, but I imagine some divers simply prefer the LP12s to HP100s, and probably find that the LP12s trim out better for them..
4sak3n:
The AL100s are beastly heavy and quite large and I don't know about their buoyancy characteristics.
YES!! I cannot imagine that anyone would want to double up a set of AL100s. Actually, I don't understand why anyone wants to dive them as singles. I have at times in the distant past, and wouldn't go out of my way to ever do so again.
With pockets, I was refering to an integrated system wearing weights on the waistband? Is that not advocated in technical diving circles?
I wouldn't necessarily say that. My own experience is that more techincal divers that I dive with use weight belts, possibly because they (the divers) are older, cheapeskates like me. :) That doesn't mean there is something wrong with wearing weight pockets, or that people don't use that approach. I was just asking to make sure I understood what you were referring to.

Last edited:
Ahhh thanks Colliam. That rather comprehensive post just explained everything. At this stage, I'll talk to my LDS and try to get some more oppinions, and get them to quote some prices.

After that, I'll be back... And give you the verdict.

A bit of administrivia. Which AL80 is which. There is a 240bar 11.5L tank and 207bar 11.1L tank. Which one do I want?

A small detail: I regularly see steel 232bar tanks here in Belgium but I can't remember the last time I've seen a filling station that does 232 fills. They're all compressors with 200 or 200/300 outputs and will fill a 232 tank to 200, no more (haven't tried asking, I'll admit). Dunno how it is in Oz, but I'd check whether or not you can actually get a 240bar fill before you start counting on that extra gas.

The vast majority of tanks used for back gas here are between 232 & 300 bar. I can't claim to have seen every LDS in OZ, but I'v never encountered one who's compressor can't fill well past 232bar. That's not to say many aren't in too much of a hurry, couldn't care less, etc, & will leave you with a short fill if you don't ask for the quick, hot fill to be toped off after they cool down.

Back
Top Bottom