Twinnies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ozgarr

Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I am currently in the business of buying a twinset for cold water diving. For the more experienced, this is a good opportunity for flaming, as I will profess my ignorance.

Firstly, I would like to settle a brand conflict. My LDS stocks Oxycheq (which are a very reliable, solid product) but nonetheless, I was considering Halcyon - Just because I enjoy spending money?!?
What are the benefits of each?

Secondly, (here we go), I would like to dive something around steel 10L's. I'm not huge, and with good consumption rate don't think I need twin 12's. Assuming I dive a 7m wetsuit, what lift capacity would be recommended?

Don't have a drysuit, so I will settle for an SMB for redundant buoyancy, no dual bladder. I don't fancy being hung and quartered by the DIRz​

Thirdly, would people recommend an ally plate or Stainless steel, based on the fact I dive 18lbs with a single bp/w with 12L and ally plate (not sure if that helps)?

Fourthly, roughly what amount of ditchable weight would I need... And what pockets?

I think that is all.

Last edited:
Firstly, I would like to settle a brand conflict. My LDS stocks Oxycheq (which are a very reliable, solid product) but nonetheless, I was considering Halcyon - What are the benefits of each?
I don't think there are significant benefits of one over the other. I have Oxycheq wings and Halcyon wings, and find both to be perfectly functional (although my personal favorite wing is an older Oxycheq 50lb wing - very streamlined). If you have a local Oxycheq dealer, I see no advantage of looking to Halcyon.
I would like to dive something around steel 10L's. I'm not huge, and with good consumption rate don't think I need twin 12's. Assuming I dive a 7m wetsuit, what lift capacity would be recommended?
You would be looking in the 45-60lb lift range. A 50lb wing should be sufficient. A note about tanks. I don't know what is 'usual and customary' in Australia with with regard to HP steel doubles. In the US, I think you would find that double HP 10Ls (~80cf) are somewhat less popular than double HP 12Ls (100cf), which are among the favorite tanks of many doubles divers. Having said that, one of my favorite sets of doubles are double AL80s.
Don't have a drysuit, so I will settle for an SMB for redundant buoyancy, no dual bladder. I don't fancy being hung and quartered by the DIRz
In salt water, in a 7mm wetsuit, with double steel 10Ls (and some ditchable weight, anyway), you could probably swim the tanks to the surface even with a complete buoyancy failure.
Thirdly, would people recommend an ally plate or Stainless steel, based on the fact I dive 18lbs with a single bp/w with 12L and ally plate (not sure if that helps)?
You wouldn't go wrong with an aluminum plate - you certainly wouldn't be overweighted even with double 10Ls. Personally, I would go with stainless (I don't think you would be overweighted with SS either), and reduce the weight on my waist. But, if you already have an aluminum plate, stick with it.
Fourthly, roughly what amount of ditchable weight would I need... And what pockets?
How much would you 'need'? Tough question. Even if you had none, you could still probably swim the 10ls up. If you had 4 lbs ditchable weight you would probably have enough to make the difference between negative at depth and close enough to neutral to easily swim to the surface. Not sure I understand the 'pockets' comment. Are you indicating that you don't plan to use a weight belt?

Oxycheq uses faux corrugated hoses. They're just molded plastic with no real stretching ability. Halcyon uses real corrugated hoses.

Although I generally don't recommend Halcyon because of the price premium for their gear, Oxycheq does not have a good reputation for customer service. Do a search here on Oxycheq, and you'll find a number of stories of the company failing to stand behind faulty equipment.

Oxycheq uses faux corrugated hoses. They're just molded plastic with no real stretching ability. Halcyon uses real corrugated hoses.

I put a Halcyon hose onto all my wings.

Not sure if they would fit onto an Oxycheq, but there's no reason why they wouldn't?

I put a Halcyon hose onto all my wings.

Not sure if they would fit onto an Oxycheq, but there's no reason why they wouldn't?

I have an OxyCheq wing and through no fault of the company, the hose needed to be replaced. I use a Halcyon hose and it works fine.

Regarding OxyCheq's customer service... prior to buying a BP/W, I spoke with Patrick at great length (on his own dime as he called me back in Canada) and he was extremely informative and helpful. (On a related note, I spoke with the manufacturer of another line of related products and found him to be arrogant, condescending, and incredibly rude. Yet there are some on this board who carry on about him like he's the messiah. Maybe he gives steep discounts or freebies to those that sing his praises endlessly... :idk:)

Patrick also took time to call me about an issue. There was no gruff or poor attitude. I found him to be both cool and helpful.

Keep in mind that people are much more likely to complain about something or someone than give praise.

I've bought a good deal of dive gear from a variety of manufacturers. I've had one manufacturer (whose gear I buy and pay for . . . and in this case, had bought used) completely replace a wing with a minor fault. I've also had another manufacturer sell us lights that didn't work . . . and replace them with lights that didn't work . . . and eventually stop providing ANY service on such lights, without refunds. I've had a manufacturer (different from either of the above) send me a new bladder for a wing I bought used, and bought WITH the hole in it. I've had a manufacturer FedEx me a part for something at their own expense, so that I'd be able to take the item in question on a trip in three days.

Customer service is a big deal to me. Anybody can make a mistake and come out with a product that turns out to have problems in normal use, but a reputable company recognizes the problem and makes it right. We've seen a couple of recalls of faulty equipment, where that has been done. Failing to admit there's a problem and then just stating publicly that you do not intend to stand behind what you sold writes a manufacturer off for me, for all time, I don't care if their equipment is gold plated and cheaper than anybody else's.

I don't think there are significant benefits of one over the other. I have Oxycheq wings and Halcyon wings, and find both to be perfectly functional (although my personal favorite wing is an older Oxycheq 50lb wing - very streamlined). If you have a local Oxycheq dealer, I see no advantage of looking to Halcyon.You would be looking in the 45-60lb lift range. A 50lb wing should be sufficient. A note about tanks. I don't know what is 'usual and customary' in Australia with with regard to HP steel doubles. In the US, I think you would find that double HP 10Ls (~80cf) are somewhat less popular than double HP 12Ls (100cf), which are among the favorite tanks of many doubles divers. Having said that, one of my favorite sets of doubles are double AL80s.In salt water, in a 7mm wetsuit, with double steel 10Ls (and some ditchable weight, anyway), you could probably swim the tanks to the surface even with a complete buoyancy failure.You wouldn't go wrong with an aluminum plate - you certainly wouldn't be overweighted even with double 10Ls. Personally, I would go with stainless (I don't think you would be overweighted with SS either), and reduce the weight on my waist. But, if you already have an aluminum plate, stick with it.How much would you 'need'? Tough question. Even if you had none, you could still probably swim the 10ls up. If you had 4 lbs ditchable weight you would probably have enough to make the difference between negative at depth and close enough to neutral to easily swim to the surface. Not sure I understand the 'pockets' comment. Are you indicating that you don't plan to use a weight belt?

Thanks for the responses. I shall fire of a couple of questions.

For me, it's far more difficult to get Halcyon gear/servicing/warranties. Oxycheq is rather convenient, and it's far cheaper. I would consider switching to a stainless backplate for better trim with difference in pricing...?

So you think a 40lbs wing wouldn't be adequate? I have heard reports of people regretting the added bulk and nonstrealiminess of larger wings.

I have heard reports of these Al80's. I believe the metric equivalent is approximately an 11L tank, which sounds adequate for my needs. How are buoyancy characteristics? Together with a thick wetsuit, would I struggle to remain neutral at shallow stops?

Reading a little, I understand the HP 10's have the same working volume as a LP 12, but with slightly worse trim. Considering I'm roughly 6.2, twin LP12's or AL80's sound like better options.

With pockets, I was refering to an integrated system wearing weights on the waistband? Is that not advocated in technical diving circles?

Back
Top Bottom