Two missing on submerged Great Wall - China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All it takes is a minimum 300 to 500 mA DC current or 30 mA AC current to induce Cardiac Fibrillation.

It's still possible that this is one of a few plausible scenarios in which two dive teammates can both be quickly incapacitated simultaneously, unable to help each other
-although the high voltage generating boat would have to be deliberately very close and nearly on top of them as noted above. One diver by accident gets momentarily caught/entangled in the cathode catch net, the other teammate goes to assist -and they both are electrocuted on contact:

Rule Out Cardiac Arrest/Sudden Cardiac Death due to Ventricular Fibrillation caused by repeated electro-shocks.
Purported Video showing the effect of accidental mishandling a basic electro fisher probe:

Last edited:
Below are a couple different ways of electro fishing.

The fist one using electric generator on the boat back in my home (Texas) is able to stun fish as big as 8 lbs (4 kg) in deeper water.

The other one, using car battery on backpack is only for stunning little fish on shallow water (< a foot deep).

So, if the electro fishing were a suspect, for stunning the divers, the fisherman should have carried electric generator on the boat.

Let's recoup where the theory coming from someone saw dead fish at the bottom of the lake during the search efforts (dead fish in a lake in China). The smb was found with some fishermen now details how it got there (he could have just picked it up at shore after it was free floating).
There was one article suggests that a boat was seen in their area... But then there was no surface support the other buddy team was supposed to stay down longer and started looking for them... So who saw a boat in their area taking off with their smb... It's a developing speculation that consists of pieces that may or may not be true...

Again I mentioned before it's not totally impossible but I think it's still long long way to go from dead fish on the bottom and smb found to they got electrocuted... Plus the fact that some illegal / wrongful doing will be needed...

1. The fishing boat saw the smb and approached. Didn't notice any bubble around and his greediness got the better of him/her. So he pulled up the smb and left.
2. One of the diver who was holding on the line suffered a massive gas embolism and passed out and .....

This doesn't make any sense since you're not tied to the smb line. You hold it with two fingers just in case a boat run over it...

It is possible that the SMB was already floating away, off from the deceased diver's hand. I guess that's what @Centrals was referring to. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense for a fisherman having a tug-o-war with a diver for something that clearly indicating a surface marker.

Otherwise, it doesn't make sense for a fisherman having a tug-o-war with a diver for something that clearly indicating a surface marker.

You wish.

You wish.

Hmmm, you got me thinking here. I have my DSMB 20-foot string end clipped on to my BCD D-ring. That would be bad if I do a tug-o-war with someone / something on the surface. I guess I would pull my diver knife & cut the line in a hurry to avoid AGE.

Hmmm, you got me thinking here. I have my DSMB 20-foot string end clipped on to my BCD D-ring.
Or in a more simple way: never clip your smb to your bcd (or anything attached to you for what it matters). Unless it's within 30cm of you, then you could...

Hmmm, you got me thinking here. I have my DSMB 20-foot string end clipped on to my BCD D-ring. That would be bad if I do a tug-o-war with someone / something on the surface. I guess I would pull my diver knife & cut the line in a hurry to avoid AGE.
Yeah, bad idea to attach it. There have been people here who had their SMB grabbed by a boater who then gunned it. The one I remember clearly the boaters who did that were the police on the lake....

Yeah, bad idea to attach it. There have been people here who had their SMB grabbed by a boater who then gunned it. The one I remember clearly the boaters who did that were the police on the lake....

OK I'll detach the reel from my BCD D-ring & just put it in my BCD pocket then. Be ready to let the reel go if the SMB get pulled up hard & started to drag me out to the surface.

Back
Top Bottom