Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, probably. Seems to me to be a good plan.

I have a set of NSK24s in a size 11 right here. They're very long and have larger diameter fingers than my 720's in a size 10. Unfortunately, I don't have an NSK24 in a size 10 to directly compare.

You sure about the NSK24/NSK26 being too narrow-fingered?

Either way, you'll probably like the 720s. My favorite so far.

31eYIqKkq8L.jpg

NSK24

660_atlas-back.png

Here ya go, buddy... Made a couple videos for you.

I made a mistake in my first video... Both the NSK24 (and it's brother, the longer NSK26) and the 660 have cotton, low-pile (not insulating) liners on the inside... Although you can see that they are a different texture.

The 720 is the one with the polyester lining that will not absorb perspiration.

All three gloves have similar properties against abrasion, cut, tear, and puncture hazards. The numbers vary slightly, but not much.

I ordered three pair of NSK24-11 after watching the videos. There is a shop in Port Hardy British Columbia that carries a lot of these types of gloves. I stop in there every year when I'm up there to try on different gloves. I've been burned too many times buying online only to find a seam inside the glove that's not shown on the websites. My local hardware stores don't carry a large enough variety or even XXL gloves, so I end up with a closet full of gloves that I can't use. The NSK24s and 720s should arrive around the same time so I'll post which ones I prefer.

I can't wait to read your review.

In my opinion, nitrile is a newer, more advanced material than PVC. It's more puncture resistant, warmer, stretchier, and lighter. I feel like it loads onto the rings easier and provides more comfort than PVC.

The 720s and the NSK24/NSK26 (both nitrile) differ in that the 720s are thinner and more svelte. The NSKs seem to be heavier duty... More like the 660s than the 720s.

I predict you'll like them both - but either favor the svelte flexibility of the 720s or the heavy-dutiness of the NSKs.

Personally I favor the 720s and don't see the advantage to the NSKs... But we'll see how things pan out.

I have yet to dive the 281s and 282s - both of which are polyurethane gloves (one is "furry" inside), which is said to be both waterproof and breathable. I find them unreassuringly thin, and rather paperlike in texture... But their numbers are good... So I'm still on the fence about them. Thin gloves are always great so long as they're tough enough. :)

I did buy that second set of Waterproof Ultima dryglove rings (from divezonescuba on page 10) to put on another drysuit that I have. This gives me two suits - both equipped with dryglove rings - and two sets of glove rings to swap out between them as I see fit.

I'm looking forward to trying out the entire SHOWA line, back-to-back. :)

Last edited:
...And hey, for what it's worth - you can probably call SHOWA in Macon, GA and request samples for free. I've ordered hundreds of them - both drygloves (like we're talking about here) and wet gloves (star of the show is a stretch-chainmail glove by SHOWA) for the company. They're great about getting samples to you, and I'd be thrilled to have some help and a second opinion on the best gloves out there for what we do. :)

Great videos, thanks. I went back to visit the xxl 720’s I bought. I can get my thin liners in but not the g2’s comfortably. I was hoping. I need the g2 warmth or similar. I have used a similar pair of gloves to the xerotherms, they are made by black diamond, after side by side comparison, I went with the g2. And they work reasonably well when wet as you mentioned.
As the water temp here is usually around 40, and my hands are my Achilles heel, my heated liners are thin, putting them in the 282 is a great choice for me if I can keep them dry. I bought a second pair, as I have a second pair of rings as well. I'll put them in place when they arrive and give it a go. I will even experiment with a thin liner in the 282 as well. And see how I do. Being on a breather and having a good solution for a heated vest has gone a long way to keeping me warm for an extended time. I may even get a 283 and put the g2 in to compare. Having the 282 and 660 on at the time has ruined it for me. I’d hate to go back to the 660.

Last edited:
Awesome. I look forward to your review too!

Which rings are you using? I'm not sure that I could get a set of SHOWA 282s on my Waterproof Ultimas (formerly known as Diving Concepts rings). Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it seems like the "fur" would get in the way.

I'd really like to try a set of plain-lined 281s - although I do wish the gloves were a bit longer.

Back
Top Bottom