Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perfect... I think most people know the 660's best - so we'll all have a common ground for understanding your perspective.

Excited to read (or watch) your review... Especially of the 282's, which may be your discovery. :)

CFA1992D-7779-4D17-AABD-036B0AA08DC9.jpeg

Awwww yeah. :)

How'd they go on? Easy? Those 660's can be a bear to get on the rings. That's like the biggest disadvantage to the Ultima rings - if there is one... That the gloves can be tough to get on them.

The 720's were a lot easier than the 660's. If the 282's are softer and stretchier, then I bet they're even easier to get on than the 720's. :)

Shiny. :)

I can't wait to see which glove is warmer. :)

So my waterproof ex2 drysuit came with the sitech slaggo flexible replaceable wrist seal system. I ordered it at the same time as the waterproof ultima glove system. Imagine my surprise when the glove system which is advertised to work with the waterproof iss is incompatible with the slaggo system. The slaggo system is also much smaller and incompatible with sitech's own quickcuff/quick glove/glove lock system. It appears that I will have to remove the slaggo system in order to get a dry glove system.

The only advantage that I can see with the slaggo system is the flexible cuff. I can see the little clips popping off during a seal change and going down the scupper.

Anyone want a smoking deal on a new set of ultima glove rings?

Last edited:
I saw that... The new Slaggo rings. I haven't had the chance to test them yet, but they honestly don't look like a good idea. Too many tiny parts - and it looks to be relatively unprotected from daily wear and tear.

It looks to me like you could attach a set of SiTech Quick Lock rings to the seals (clamp style) if you wanted to. No? I mean... It wouldn't connect directly to the sleeve (which is always clean and slick), but it could be done just fine.

...Or you could just send the suit to DRIS and have them remove the Slaggo rings and install the QCS Oval rings... Which are necessary for you to use the Waterproof Ultima rings.

...Or you could just sell me your Waterproof Ultima setup. New it's like $170. Whatcha askin'?

Had my 282’s in the water for the first time today. Over my heated liners. So so nice, much more pliable in the cold. Super comfy and warm, right up to the point when I got leak in my right glove. Unsure why, I’ll figure it out when they are dry. Still reasonably warm even with the leak, but the 12v was getting to me after a bit. On the second dive I put a 660 just on the right, with G2 liner, stiff, thick, hand and fingers cold quickly compared to the 282 on the left. The water temp was 40 today. Pretty typical of most of my dives to depth. Certainly worth figuring out the leak and going at it again.

Last edited:
Nice! Great review so far.

I look forward to seeing why there was a leak. No leaks on the right side after the 660 install? Maybe you had a wrinkle in the 282, where it sealed against the Ultima ring?

I would think that if you planned on wearing the gloves with a heated liner, you'd be better off with a lower pile lining. The 281 is a 282 without all of the "fur." Instead, you have a simple nylon weave lining, similar to the 720s (which are acrylic) and 660s (which are cotton).

Both the 281 and the 282 are a bit short... Shorter than the 720s and 660s by about 30-40 mm (over an inch). For me, this might be an issue - I tend to like my gloves long and rings high on my wrist, and at full extension I definitely use the length. Not sure how things would go, being an inch shorter... But maybe I could do it if I left very little extra glove overlapped in the ring.

...Anyway, I look forward to seeing if you can diagnose the leak and find out if it is a problem with the material or if it was just something odd like a wrinkle or hair or whatever in the wrong place.

So far the 720s are my personal favorite... But the 281s and 282s seem like an awfully good idea - and the numbers favor them over the 720s. :)

Last edited:
For what it's worth... I just picked up a set of Fourth Element's latest glove liner - the Xerotherm glove liner. Compared to the G2s, which I also have, the Xerotherms seem warmer, thinner, stretchier, and more comfortable. Basically, the Xerotherm liners are snug-fitting and stretchy fleece, whereas the G2s are actually blown neoprene (like wetsuit material).

I'm past glove liner season, and injured for another few weeks - so I can't test the liners back-to-back... But my impression is that I would prefer the Xerotherms in every way unless I got a leak... In which case the G2s would act as a wet glove, inside the dryglove.

The G2s may have an advantage, too, in that you could wear them topside at the dive site without dry gloves on... 'Cause if you get them wet, they'd still be warm. I don't think I'd be so eager to wear the Xerotherms at the dive site without something over them to keep them dry.

Next winter when I test all of them out back-to-back, I probably won't care much which glove I use... So long as they're warm and dry. :)

Back
Top Bottom