Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow... GREAT review!

I just bought some more ring systems for my other drysuits. I therefore have a few sets of gloves preloaded on rings sitting around and haven't needed to search for extras.

If anyone can get some, it'd be Dive Right In Scuba. www.diverightinscuba.com.

I am super interested in seeing you load gloves onto rings using both your jig and the lip of your workbench. I'm building a new workshop and was planning on duplicating your offset disk idea - but now I'm not sure. Can you show me? Video maybe?

The 720s are better gloves in every way for this purpose. They're stretchier, easier to load onto the rings, and more durable too - so they'll last longer and you won't have to load gloves as often.

...But an unexpected advantage of the 720s is that they're warmer than the 660s. Nitrile just does a better job insulating than PVC does... So you might find that you're less reliant on undergloves than you used to be.

I bought the whole system... One for each of my drysuits.

Here are pics of the "improved" jig....I made a new one after realizing that having that top round block the same diameter as the block that the rings sits around made it difficult to stretch the o-ring and glove cuff over.

With v2 of the jig I made the fixed block slightly larger in diameter to better fit the inside diameter of the glove rings, and I fabricated a disc of wood to replace the moveable top block.

I tried cutting a disc from the end of a thick dowel but it just fell apart as the end-grain of the wood has no strength. I cut the one in the pics below from some scrap wood and used a fender washer to draw circle on it...I then used my belt sander upside down on the workbench to sand it into a circle. It is plenty strong for the task especially as when it is rotated into position to lock the glove ring in place the long grain of the wood is oriented to provide strength...small detail that matters.

The disc is much smaller in both diameter and height and does a good job of keeping the glove ring in place without getting in the way of my hands while stretching and mounting the gloves, it swings out of the way by pushing on it through the glove or by twisting the glove assembly counter clockwise just like with the larger movable top block on v1 of the jig.

Another change I made was to mount the block offset forward on the base board as it is much more comfortable and manageable having it closer to the edge of the workbench when my hands are cramping and I am cursing trying to get the o-ring and doubled over cuff mounted up.

I will take a video of the jig in use and the method of using the edge of the workbench as a very viable alternative...but it will need to wait as I currently loath the idea of pulling a glove off and remounting it.

For the Dive Concepts PVC coupler type jig, I could only find 90mm, 100mm, 125mm, and 160mm PVC tubing and couplers. I needed between 115 and 120...I believe 125 would be too large of a diameter.

-Z
WP_20180917_20_19_02_Pro.jpg
WP_20180917_20_19_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20180917_20_19_42_Pro.jpg

Cool. I see where you're going with this.

We just used a single wooden disk. No moving parts. If memory serves, we cut the disk out of 1" wood and actually made the cut at an angle - so the disk was actually a little cone-shaped, if that makes sense. When pulling on the ring in any direction, it only made the ring sit down harder.

All of these ideas are super great ones... I sure would love to see your jig work. Let us know when you can post a video.

So I have a 6 month old, made to measure Ursuit drysuit that I love. When I had the suit made, the Slaggo flexible cuffs had just come out. I was assured that SiTech was working on a dry glove solution for the Slaggo and the flexible cuffs sounded nice. So my suit has the Slaggo system.

To date, still no dry glove system from SiTech, despite some e-mails to them, all I've got was a vague "we're working on it" response.

My previous drysuit was a Whites Fusion suit. Had the oval QCS system and I had tried the SiTech Glove Lock system. I'll just leave it at it was a pain in the buttocks. Ended up giving up on dry gloves.

Had been flirting with the idea of trying the Ultima system before I sold my Fusion and decided to buy a made to measure Ursuit.

Saw that Waterproof recently released the Ultima Soft which works with the Slaggo system.......SOOOOO I ordered it up. Placed a call to Showa and asked for two different sizes of 720s to try out as well.

My last attempt with dry gloves I ended up with Showa gloves, I believe they were the 495. PVC gloves, very stiff. I am excited to try a new system that seems to work well, according to the reviews I've seen, and some new gloves which will hopefully provide sufficient warmth and dexterity.

Hey Taath!

Yes... You're barking up exactly the right tree.

I was unaware of the Ultima Soft system for your Slaggo rings... The regular Ultima Dryglove Ring System requires the QCS Ovals that you had on your old suit. If the new soft system fits the same way as the regular system does, you'll be very happy.

Snapping the gloves on while donning (it's the last thing I do before I splash) is simple and very obvious. There is no question when it's sealed... And I have yet to have a leak, 300-some dives with them later... Unlike the SiTech options. Taking them off is a joy, as you can see from the videos... There is no locking ring to spin like on the SiTechs. Consequently, the rings are also smaller and less obtrusive than the SiTech options.

The SHOWA 495 is essentially a 660 with a removable underglove that comes with it. Yes... Very stiff and bulky.

You'll find the 720s not only tougher than a PVC glove, but thinner, more flexible, and warmer too. I like mine with no underglove at all, but if you choose to use one I recommend Fourth Element's new Xerotherm glove. It's very warm and surprisingly thin.

Combined, they're good for waters down into the 30's no problem - depending on how warm you are in the suit.

I think you're going to be a really happy camper with this setup. :)

We expect a full review. :)

Thanks! The Ultima should be in next Monday, hoping the 720s will be in by then as well. I'll give them a trial dive next weekend and share my thoughts.

I looked around for the Fourth Element glove liners, they seem impossible to find right now. I do, however, still have the wrist warmers that also cover most of the palm and back of the hand. I'll give those a shot at first.

Sounds great!

My bet is that you'll be just fine with those.

I can't wait to read you review!

What is so special about the Fourth Element glove liners? Just a go to a ski shop or a sporting goods store that sells ski equipment and get some glove liners, or a cross-country ski-glove. in Europe the Fourth Element glove liners are around 30+ euros...that is way too much to spend on a glove liner.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom