Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They're thinner without sacrificing warmth.

Fourth Element also makes a G2 underglove (I call them "undergloves" because the gloves themselves already have an acrylic lining), which has been long-touted as the top-end underglove.

The new Xerotherm undergloves are much thinner, and just as warm.

Bottom line? Better dexterity and tactile feel.

To find something similar, you'd have to find a very thin fleece glove that stays warm even when it gets wet. I'm sure there's stuff out there, but why, when it's already available?

By the way... The FourthE Xerotherm glove is $37.50... Maybe 45 or 50 euros? I'm not sure that saving 10 or 15 euros is even worth it.

Xerotherm Glove

...But the 720s are already lined anyway... Thry're not like a latex glove that requires an underglove.

I usually don't bother with any underglove at all unless I'm diving sub 40 degree water.

Update: Gloves came in Friday. Ultima Soft system came in yesterday. Installation on the suit was pretty straightforward and easy (suit had the Slaggo soft rings). Getting a size large 720 onto the glove ring wasn't as tough as I had anticipated. First one went on within 30 seconds, but the o-ring was pretty soft and pliable from being in the delivery truck and being rather warm. Second one took about 2 minutes. No tools, no jig, just hands and bracing it on my knees.

Gave the gloves a quick leak test in the bath tub. Seems to be water proof, will give them a test dive on Friday.

On a side note, anyone know if you can use latex instead of silicone seals for the glove system? Currently using my silicones, but I have a pair of old latex I wouldn't mind cutting down so I can try the "seal-less" version.

Thanks,
Taath

I can't wait for your review! :)

Yes, I've used both latex and silicone as a fully trimmed back seal to make a "sealess" dryglove.

The latex works fine... It's just susceptible to ozone and UV, so it'll only last a year or two before getting either crusty and stiff or gooey and gross... So I use trimmed-back silicone seals instead of latex, which should have an indefinite life. That said, I suppose that that spot, buried underneath of the ring and all, shouldn't cause much of an issue with aging the latex... But I still had more faith in the silicone, so I chose to use that instead.

If it's just something you want to try for a season or two, latex will work fine. If you love it, switch to your silicone seals and trim them instead.

Seals are cheap enough. I will probably get a couple dives with them then trim them back. Worst case, if I feel I need them back, I'll buy a new pair and replace them.

Here's the method I found easiest:

Cut them first - before you install them. Place the lip of the silicone seal against the OUTERMOST part of the ring so that your trimmed silicone seal will be longer than if you'd only put the lip in the second slot.

Use a Sharpie to trace the inner edge of the hard ring.

Then remove the seal and cut it with a pair of sharp scissors, all in one long cut... Just like if you were trimming the seal to fit your wrist. That way, there's less chance of it splitting later.

Reinstall the seal on the hard ring, and lubricate the outside of the seal so that it will slide into the soft ring glued to your suit. Do not lubricate between the seal and the hard ring, so that it will tend to stay on the hard ring during installation.

Carefully slide the hard ring into the suit's soft ring, being careful not to slide the seal out of place. You may need to back up an resituate the seal a few times to accomplish a good installation - but the lip of the silicone seal and the lube will help keep things in place and sliding where're they're supposed to slide. Sometimes I'll put pressure on the sides of the soft ring - kinda "ovaling" it some - if the seal is sliding.

It'z a bit tricky to do, but it doesn't take but a minute or two.

The seal is definitely necessary to keep a watertight seal between the suit's soft ring and the dryglove system's hard ring.

Your installation may vary slightly from mine since I'm using the SiTech QCS Oval soft ring glued to the suit and you're using a different brand.

Good luck. Keep us posted. Take video if you can so it'll help the next guy.

You could potentially make your seal longer than just to the edge of the hard ring... This has the advantage that you can look in and see that the seal is seated properly... But is a little bit "grabby" when you don and doff the suit. I prefer my seals to be fully hidden (cut to the edge) so it's super slick to take the suit off and put it on.

I've done them both and prefer to cut the seal right at the edge of the hard ring.

Your call. :)

Friends, I think I read this here, but want to be sure I have it correct.
If I get a whites fusion with a slt wrist ring set, I can take out the inner ring and replace it with the suit ring from our ultima. And I’m good to go.

???????

Friends, I think I read this here, but want to be sure I have it correct.
If I get a whites fusion with a slt wrist ring set, I can take out the inner ring and replace it with the suit ring from our ultima. And I’m good to go.

???????

Yes if it is the oval ring system...you just pull out the hard oval inner ring of the SLT system that sandwiches the seal against the soft ring glued into the suit. You then put the silicone or latex seal on the round suit side ring of the Ultima system and press it into the soft ring glued into the suit. Then, of course, you can attach the glove side ring to the wrist of the drysuit via the suit side ring. Your suit will no longer have oval wrists unless you swap back to the original oval ring that you removed.

It was designed to work with the SLT oval system...it will not work with the SLT round system as the soft suit side ring of the round system is a different diameter than the soft suit side ring of the oval system and the Ultima System suit side ring will not lock in place properly.

Also the Ultima DGS does not work with the Slaggo flex ring wrist seal system, but Waterproof has developed the Ultima Soft which was designed to integrate with that system.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom