Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay referred me to this thread (he is responsible for getting me hooked on dry gloves)

Tons of great info here! I love the piece of wood! That is the reason he sent me the link to this thread. I just inherited a pair of OS Systems "Del-Ring" Dry Glove System. I'm having issues installing the gloves on the rings. Still trying to get more info on these, the appear a little out dated but in mint condition. I can upload a pic or two but essentially they look like a prototype version of the waterproof Ultima rings.

The gloves go on the glove-ring the same, one large o-ring, however they use two small o-rings to mate to the suit-ring and do not snap or click-in but they do seem failry bulletproof. Lower profile and I believe smaller diameter than SiTech rings as well.

I have already DIY'd a pair of Showa 660's on a set of DUI Zipseals. (I own a DUI) I am planning to permanently install these rings to a set of zip seal rings so if it doesn't work out, I can remove them. I have some 720s, 281, 282, and 379's i'm anxious to test out!

Has anyone heard of or tried the Del-Ring DryGlove rings by OS Systems? I Will make a video of the entire DIY process and upload it.

Here is a link to my YouTube Channel for those interested:
SSPDIVING

Hey bud!

Great to see you here... You're a great source of information too, and I can't wait to see your video!

The homemade zip gloves that you made out of the SHOWA 660s are just awesome. How are they holding up?

I've looked at using those 379s too... They seem like clones of the 720s, except green. I bet they'd be pretty cool - and the double-dipped palm may make them an even tougher choice. I've not tried them myself because - well - they're GREEN. :) But hey - who knows - you might be a trendsetter. :)

I'd love to see those rings, too. Never heard of them.

Looking forward to your input here! :)

New pair 282’s came today......

And mounted, it took about 6seconds, give or take.

The right hand leaked so I just replaced it, and will get them back in the water.
If they stay dry I’ll put the other ones on my second set of rings and give them a try before putting them into the back up roll. It could of been a wrinkle or hair like CJ said.

I’ll post up when I get them back in the water.

Sounds like I need to post some pics lol I'll do that in a bit.

The 660's leaked on one of my first dives at a finger tip, could have been a defect, I got it patched up with some aqua seal but after about 15 more dives, the aqua seal peeled off. I covered the entire finger in aqua seal and it wants to peel at the edges but holds just fine. I have about 50 or so dives on these with 25 dives being geoduck harvesting dives where the gloves see a ton of abrasion. Sand, gravel, broken clam shells, including razor clams. they have only gained only 2 more holes surprisingly for a total of 3. Riding them until the wheels fall off.

I will look at the specs on the 379's but the glove feels twice as thick as the 720's. I am not fond of the color either lol but they do look great for thermal pro. As far as dexterity, I put them on and got them wet, rubbed them together and they were quite slippery. The Double coated palm does not grip nearly as well as the 720's but the only real way to tell is an underwater test.

Also, I found some "Ansell" Brand liners that are really thin and toasty warm! only 7 dollars at the fishing supply store.

Ansell is our other sponsor. We have tested a ton of their summer wet gloves, and found a few that we liked... But never gone through their sealed gloves that could be used as drygloves.

I just looked through 27 pages of gloves that they make... And there's probably a dozen contenders for drygloves... Some of which are even blue nitrile with good cut and abrasion numbers. They have several PVC options that are almost identical to the SHOWA 660s.

That said - I'm honestly a little partial to the fit of SHOWA gloves. They just seem to be a little better cut than the Ansells. But hey, that's personal preference. The only way to really know is to order a sample set. All Ansells that I have used seem slightly shorter and stubbier than SHOWAs. I guess it's a matter of what fits you best.

I'm about over drysuit (and therefore dryglove) season... Tomorrow I dive for the first time in about two months (due to injury)... Doing some indoor pool work for the US Marine Corps. I'll be in a 3mm suit and a set of SHOWA STEX376s, which are my go-to for all wet-glove work.

This year SHOWA is making an STEX377, which simply has the nitrile dip a little further down the hand than the STEX376s... I've already ordered a run of STEX377s. I'm sure they're awesome. :)

For those of you in the PNW that never go out of drysuit season... I'm actually a bit envious - which is probably the first time you've heard that from a SE diver that thinks that 80* water is cold. :) Y'all need to keep this thread going until I can rejoin the hunt for great drysuit gloves in November or December.

As of this writing, my favorite are the SHOWA 720s, and I'm very curious about the 281s - which show a lot of promise but are oddly short. I'm not sure if this would be a problem or not for me. I'm not a fan of furry gloves, so for me the 282s are out - I prefer to use a glove liner when I need some fluff inside.

...Speaking of which, kudos to the new Fourth Element Xerotherm glove liners. They're impressive - although I'm going to have to put a few dozen more dives on them to really shake them down and have a qualified opinion on them.

Sekeli, are these Ansell glove liners true liners, or just warm and thin gloves that work well as an underglove? Either way, what works, works, and I can tell you that Ansell makes some nice stuff. Are they wool? Acrylic? Polyester?

I just got the 720s and SeaJay was correct, they stretch nicely. I've set up three sets and will try them out once our storms subside. I have a trip to Canada in three weeks so I may have to try them out in the bathtub. :)

_DSC0959.JPG

_DSC0960.JPG

_DSC0961.JPG

_DSC0962.JPG

Hahahahaa... Listen, I blew a knee out and have been unable to dive for like 6 or 7 weeks. I totally get the bathtub diving thing. :)

Yay! I'm excited about those 720s. I was feeling a little guilty about recommending the NSK24s after they were a bomb for you. Those 720s look great on your rings. Smooth, stretchy, and perfectly fit. Weird part is - they're thinner and more flexible than the PVC 660s, yet warmer and tougher. Ah, the miracles of modern materials... :-D

I can't wait for your review.

...So no problems keeping them on the rings like Ean had with the 620s?

I love how you use a Home Depot clamp to load your gloves onto the rings. You should make a video and show us how you do that. I'd love to see it, and I bet Sekeli and Ean would too.

I takes about 45 seconds to put a glove on the ring with the clamp, nowhere near as fast as the wooden block idea. I need to get my saw out.
I used 620s for years but had the same problem. When they stayed dry they were great. When they leaked (about 20% of the time) they got pretty cold. Without wrist seals I frequently had water past my elbow. All I really need is a glove that stretches smoothly over the rings, is long enough for long arms and resists cuts. I don't know about the cuts yet, but the 720s are the best glove I've used so far.

Awesome.

Without trying to go into a long explanation of hazard ratings, here's how the 720s stack up to the 660s and 620s (EN388):

Abrasion (0-5, 5 being most abrasion-resistant)
720 - 3
660 - 4
620 - 3

Cut (0-5, 5 being most cut-resistant)
720 - 1
660 - 1
620 - 1

Tear (0-5, 5 being most tear-resistant)
720 - 3
660 - 2
620 - 2

Puncture (0-5, 5 being most puncture-resistant)
720 - 2
660 - 1
620 - 1

Bottom line? The 720s are MORE puncture and tear resistant than the 660s and 620s... Have the SAME cut-resistance as the 660s and 620s, and are only slightly less abrasion resistant (3 is still excellent - most gloves never even make it on the scale, placing less than zero).

...All while being softer, stretchier, warmer, and overall more comfortable and easier to load on the rings than the 660s or 620s.

I think they're a winner.

Nice-looking, too... Still blue like the 660s, but a bit more toned down and conservative. :) You know, if that's important and all. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom