Uncontrolled ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny post-script: so I finally got to downloading the data from my dive computer, and on this dive, I did not exceed 30ft/minute on the ascent!

I did NOT expect to see that. In any case, the ascent was still uncontrolled, just not as rapid as I originally feared. Anyway, I'm diving later today and will apply many of the suggestions on this thread. Thanks!

Your one of the lucky ones that made a mistake and got to learn from it. :)

My wife and I are currently doing our drysuit course. Luckly we get to practice in a 6m diving pool. Hanging upsidedown by your boots on the surface is an interesting experience. Our instructor fills up the suits then turns us up so we get to practice righting ourselves before we hit the surface. Giggles all round once out of the pool but disconcerting while doing it :) Only managed once so far but practice makes perfect eh. Well done for keeping it together though and see if you can find a diving pool (where they do high springboard dives) that will let you practice.

How much air did you have in the suit. Were you using the BC or suit for buoyancy? Remember just enough air in the suit to take off the squeeze and bc for buoyancy control. Much smaller air bubble to manage. The books will say otherwise but they were written with the idea that using two forms of buoyancy control at the same time was too much task loading for a new drysuit diver. In fact it is not for anyone of reasonable intelligence.

Thanks . PADI AOW teaches using only the drysuit for buoyancy which after trying it out really doesn't make much sense. As you said, "reasonable intelligence" quickly tells you otherwise...thanks for the advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom