Underwater MP3 player

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an H2O audio, it doesn't have 1GB, I think it's 520mb, it's enough for maybe about 20 songs probably less whatever that is. It's goes plenty deep (at least 130), it has really good sound quality, there are earphones that can be affixed to the mask strap, but I usually just drap them around my neck since it's loud enough. The player hooks onto a D ring on the BCD, it takes one 9volt battery and 1 or 2 AA and doesn't burn through them too fast.

I am a musician, a music teacher and a performer. I could not imagine taking my topside music down to hide the music under water. The bubbles, the critters, the situational awareness of the magic of where I am. There is nothing mute about the environment underwater. The difference in the sounds of the critters between a day dive and a night dive is magical. Take some time, listen.....

bob,

thanks for the great opinions. i think i will hold back on buying an underwater device for now and heed your advice. i'll still take opinions and suggestions on devices though :)

thanks again, bob,

steven

Nevian, I can't provide any recommendations about the player ... but I would like to address the rest of your post.

Like yourself, I am a very music oriented person. I love listening to music while I'm doing things. But I don't take music underwater with me ... not even as a pretty experienced diver.

The difference between diving and all those other activities you mention boils down to environment.

We're not designed to be underwater. All those other activities you mentioned occur in an environment in which we have spent, essentially, our entire lives. Because we're used to that environment, inhibiting one or more of our sensory inputs has little impact.

Such is not the case when we place ourselves in an environment we aren't designed for ... particularly one in which awareness and equipment are so inextricably linked to our survival.

The equipment we use to go underwater limits our senses. We've grown up accustomed to having a peripheral vision that provides our essential awareness of what's going on around us. Putting on a scuba mask removes our peripheral vision, and limits the scope of our visual feedback. Our other senses are also inhibited by the underwater environment in various ways, and we rely on them less for our awareness. Hearing becomes an increasingly important part of our awareness because it's the one sense that actually improves underwater ... although in a way that reduces our sense of where it's coming from.

Developing a sense of awareness underwater is a learned skill ... similar in some ways to when you learned how to drive (and for many of the same reasons). Until those awareness skills become very well-developed, it isn't generally a good idea to be inhibiting them anymore than you absolutely have to.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

can you give me some feedback on your experience with the iDive 300? have you had problems using your iphone or updated iPods? how does it sound underwater? is it bulky? buoyant? thanks!

I own an idive300 and bought an older ipod device just for that. For me, 1-2 hour or longer decompression obligations are easier to endure while listening to music or watching a movie.

hi jill,

what model do you have from H20 audio? i don't see any devices on their website that go beyond 15'? can you please give me more details on it and your experience with it?

thanks,
nevian

I have an H2O audio, it doesn't have 1GB, I think it's 520mb, it's enough for maybe about 20 songs probably less whatever that is. It's goes plenty deep (at least 130), it has really good sound quality, there are earphones that can be affixed to the mask strap, but I usually just drap them around my neck since it's loud enough. The player hooks onto a D ring on the BCD, it takes one 9volt battery and 1 or 2 AA and doesn't burn through them too fast.

good lord some people need a life.

if it doesn't suit you don't bother stopping by and posting something negative. maybe you have enough problems in your life to appreciate the silence the underwater life has to offer- others' lives are enhanced by music and sounds that accompany us in our daily lives. it is patronizing and condescending to suggest that your choice to listen a mute world is somehow better than my inclination to listen to something I feel will enhance my experience. no one wrote a book on what the proper underwater, aural experience should be like so you should think more than twice before offering up your unqualified, arbitrary judgments. above all, you should probably follow one single rule in life that would make life around YOU a little better- if you don't have something positive to say keep your mouth shut.

this may be my first time posting here but I'm a forum veteran and I know I'm not wrong in suggesting that piece of advice. keep your negativity and self-absorbed statements to yourself.
If you think its "a mute world" under there you really DO need more situational awareness over a mp3 player..
You can hear anything from fish and boats to leaks and where your buddy is if you use your ears..
The sound of parrotfish chewing on the reef or a lobster snapping his claws at you does give a pretty good idea of how bad an idea it is sticking your fingers in there :p

well, OP. I have a good solution for you. A couple new cases have hit the market and made a good showing at DEMA for a price i would think you may like.

Waterproof iPad Case and Waterproof iPhone Case - by Dry Case

I have taken the case down to 220. Granted I did not trust it much and instead of using a ipod or iphone, i put in a dive computer (whats the worst that could happen if it flooded)

I did notice the smallest amount of water in it but i wonder if it was condensation of some sort. It did not seem to be from the outside. I really this helps answer your question. Ignore the haters

I had to get home to look at it....Maybe they don't make it anymore 'cause I can't find it online either, but maybe you can find it used - it's rated to 200ft . It was made in partnership with Oceanic, the DV series. The MP3 player is the iRiver2. I have a 256mb version, but it looks like they made them up to 512. Good luck on your search.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MP3Player
this was it

I fantasized about having an MP3 player while diving until I saw a diver diving with it. Diver was so out of it that every time we needed to get his attention we had to swim up to him and shake him to get his attention. I could not subject myself to that kind of danger of not having a clue of where my dive buddies are.
Another thing that I will never do is listen to music while mountain biking. Every time I hit the trails I always come up against a few goons who cant hear you come and wont let you pass or even worse if anyone is hurt they would not hear cries for help.

In interest of personal safety no siree bob.

I am a musician, a music teacher and a performer. I could not imagine taking my topside music down to hide the music under water. The bubbles, the critters, the situational awareness of the magic of where I am. There is nothing mute about the environment underwater. The difference in the sounds of the critters between a day dive and a night dive is magical. Take some time, listen.....

My career is/was exactly what yours is. I agree that it is silly to take music underwater, but that's what the OP wants to do. By the way, we can't hear squat here with our 7 mil hoods, not that it matters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom