Closed Updated G250 "wolf"

Sold or no longer available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pre-S-wing, the poppet was replaced in its entirety at service. The s-wing has a replaceable soft seat.
That is not entirely exact. There have been various iterations of the poppet, the oldest one (blue) had no replaceable seat.

images

but then the grey model appeared, with a metal rod for the equilibrium chamber, as the original one, and a replaceable seat hold in place by a pin in the center:

20220715-185002.jpg

And finally we got the S-wing, which employs a mushroom-shaped replaceable seat:
images

Now, is the S-wing poppet really better than the grey poppet shown above?
In my opinion, not necessarily. They grey one is more solid, the metal stem is more durable (I always favour metal parts over plastic), the seat is more simple and easier to find, you can even build it yourself making an hole in the center of a "normal" flat seat.
The only problem of the grey poppet is it was produced just for a few years and it is very difficult to find.

If you want to split hairs you too are incorrect. The s-wing has had two generations, the second adding the additional "whiper" o-ring on the stem. But, we don't necessarily need to be so specific....

If you want to split hairs you too are incorrect. The s-wing has had two generations, the second adding the additional "whiper" o-ring on the step. But, we don't necessarily need to be so specific....
Yes, there have been two gens of the S-wing: single O-ring with short balance chamber (which is compatible with the old 109 and 156 metal-body regs) and double O-ring with longer balance chamber (which only works on G250 - G260):

full-jpg.420645

Brian also has got some "experimental" poppets, which were never mass-produced, so the evolution passed through some additional steps:

"O-ring with longer balance chamber (which only works on G250V - G260):"

Not sure I understand? Assuming I'm understanding your post correctly, with respect, I beg to differ. IME the 2 O ring S-wing poppet works just fine with the short OG G250 et al balance chamber. Happy to be educated if I've misunderstood or otherwise. Cheers.

I mean that the longer poppet with 2 O-rings does not wok in my old 109-129-156 (metal body).
Perhaps it could be made working changing other part, too (spring, balance chamber, lever, who knows?).
But replacing the grey poppet with the long S-wing does not work, while I have seen it used successfully on "plastic" G250-G260.

If you change the lever to a G250V one 11.250.141 it will work in a converted 109 and 156.

I've noted however that sometimes using a long crown balance chamber causes spring "creak" in some S-wing converted G250s but swapping back to an OG short balance chamber solves the issue.

Now why this sometimes happens I'm not entirely sure given I've never experienced this in a G250V.

Could it be something to do with spring pressure and/or a difference in air barrel perhaps? 70% of the time it's fine but the other 30%... I'd love to know what causes this phenomenon.

In true SB fashion, of which I'm not innocent, this thread has gone way off track lol, it's my thread so I'm good with it...apologies to those who are reading it thinking it's still about a for sale item.

The reg has been sold by the way.
I think that it became a very nice thread!
just for completeness of information, in this G250 "wolf", which kind of S-poppet and balance chamber did you install?

Nice, agree.

Initially I used a long crown one, no clicking/creaking but I wanted cracking lower and using a short original BC drops cracking slightly. It was at just over 1.2", using the OG BC dropped it to a fraction just over 1.1".

New S-wing poppet, new .216 spring, new .141 G250V lever, new orifice, original short BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom