Use a backup SPG with air integration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An O-ring on the spool in my 2 month old SPG assembly blew after I turned my gas on and had walked away, heading for my truck (10 feet away).
You have had a spool oring 'blow'? What audibly? Like a loud bang? Had it been bubbling beforehand?

Lifting the tank by using the pressure transducer as a handle does seem likely, although I have never seen or experienced it.

A few years ago I had the pleasure to dive one of the cenotes in the Yucatan. I was paired with a husband/wife couple who indicated that they were both instructors. On the way down to the entry, I asked one of them to check my tank valve. She said that it was closed and she then began to open it. A few seconds later, she showed me my transmitter and said that the valve had just come unscrewed in her hand. Needless to say, I removed my rig, replaced the transmitter, and triple checked everything else.

I guess that could be considered another concern if someone mistakes the transmitter for the tank valve.

Lifting the tank by using the pressure transducer as a handle does seem likely, although I have never seen or experienced it.

A few years ago I had the pleasure to dive one of the cenotes in the Yucatan. I was paired with a husband/wife couple who indicated that they were both instructors. On the way down to the entry, I asked one of them to check my tank valve. She said that it was closed and she then began to open it. A few seconds later, she showed me my transmitter and said that the valve had just come unscrewed in her hand. Needless to say, I removed my rig, replaced the transmitter, and triple checked everything else.

I guess that could be considered another concern if someone mistakes the transmitter for the tank valve.

Huh? That's a new one to me, a dive instructor that can't tell the difference between AI transmitter & tank valve. I won't let stranger touch my gear once the reg & BCD are on the tank.

Several issues I have with hosed AI computers
They do nothing for you other than provide instant SAC rate or DTR for you. They don't remove a hose, they don't make checking things more convenient, etc. all of which are advantages of WAI.
They bind the computer to the reg set vs. a WAI computer that can still function if you want to/have to use a different reg set and can't swap the HP hose over
They're quite expensive, and none of them are computers that I would want or recommend even if they were wrist computers...
Thank you for your input. Noted.

This may be over kill but I bought one of these when they were SubGear for about $275. it's about the size of an SPG and it clips off to my Hip D-Ring and I forget about it.

You have had a spool oring 'blow'? What audibly? Like a loud bang? Had it been bubbling beforehand?

Yes. The whole reg set was only about 2 months old and came pre-assembled, including the SPG. There were no prior signs. One day, I assembled my rig, turned on the gas, walked away towards my truck, and heard a medium loud pop and then hissing.

Fortunately, I had a bunch of spare O-rings that included spool O-rings, so I took it apart, replaced the one O-ring, and carried on with the day's plans.

This has been asked many times before. I also keep a small SPG on the thin Miflex hose clipped to the left waist D ring. Not only does it back up one of the most important readings of the wrist computer, but there are times when the computer does not yet display the pressure or it's not turned on yet. I can easily see the pressure as soon as I turn the valve on. Also the test where you look for pressure fluctuation while breathing off your reg works better with an analog gauge .

This has been asked many times before. I also keep a small SPG on the thin Miflex hose clipped to the left waist D ring. Not only does it back up one of the most important readings of the wrist computer, but there are times when the computer does not yet display the pressure or it's not turned on yet. I can easily see the pressure as soon as I turn the valve on. Also the test where you look for pressure fluctuation while breathing off your reg works better with an analog gauge .

I agree with this. A backup mini Spg on a thin hose takes almost no space, it weighs next to nothing, it rolls up tight for storage and travel, it's easily tucked behind your BCD, it makes it really easy to get an immediate tank pressure reading during the pre-dive check when your AI computer might not be reading the tank because you weren't close enough to it, and you've got the piece of mind of knowing you won't have to end a dive or guess at your air pressure for part of a dive if you have a failure of either the transmitter or receiver. If you lose signal during a dive (which happens all the time) you don't need to worry because if there is a problem you know you've got that mini spg tucked away, so it's peace of mind. It's like the spare tire in the trunk of your car. You almost don't even know it's there until you need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom