Use a backup SPG with air integration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During my work i see too much people freaking out on the boat because their sender is not working or does not pair and they have to call the dive.
I have a small Cressi SPG on a normal long HP hose on my right side and i stick it under my cummerbund, so it's there if my sender should make troubles.
Another solution would be to have a shorter hose and route t together with the LP hose for the inflater.
If you don't mind calling or aborting a dive because your transmitter (or air integrated computer) stop working then you don't need a backup SPG.
If you mind calling/aborting a dive, hate pre-dive stress and like a redundant system then shop for a small SPG and install it.
You peace of mind will be much broader...
Chris

P.S. I never had my sender failing, but my Suunto Cobra got damaged during travel to Fernando Noronha (Brasil) and i had to use the dive operations regulators as they did not lend/rented me a SPG.

Just carry an spg in your save a dive kit.

My Perdix AI periodically drops connection. Sometimes I clasp my hands in front of my chest or otherwise have my computer arm in front of my torso, and that's when it seems to happen. I think the steel backplate blocks the signal -- I didn't notice the communication loss before I switched to a BP/W, but I didn't thoroughly test it, either. When I move my arm up into a position in front of my face to read the computer, it immediately reconnects.

If you don't mind calling or aborting a dive because your transmitter (or air integrated computer) stop working then you don't need a backup SPG.
If you mind calling/aborting a dive

I take issue with your wording, because there's an assumption in your post that a transmitter or AI will definitely stop working at some point AND that if it did happen the dive would have to be aborted.

The first part of your post that I quoted is like saying "If you don't mind getting in a horrible accident that could cripple you then go ahead and drive down the highway at 60 mph".

The second part of your post is like saying "If your check engine light comes on you have to walk 20 miles to the nearest town". A broken or flooded or failed transmitter or AI computer does not mean a dive needs to be aborted. Sure if you're at 120' in a wreck and you're 15 minutes into your dive, then the party is probably over a few minutes earlier than expected. But if I'm 5 minutes into a 35 foot reef dive, I know I won't be going anywhere any time soon. I might stay shallow, I might indicate to my buddy to stay close because I have no way to monitor my gas, but I won't be surfacing for at least another 20 minutes.

My Perdix AI periodically drops connection. Sometimes I clasp my hands in front of my chest or otherwise have my computer arm in front of my torso, and that's when it seems to happen. I think the steel backplate blocks the signal -- I didn't notice the communication loss before I switched to a BP/W, but I didn't thoroughly test it, either. When I move my arm up into a position in front of my face to read the computer, it immediately reconnects.

I have a Perdix AI and dive a steel back plate and don't have this problem. I wonder if your tank and thus your first stage with the sender are low down on the BP/W so that the sender is right behind the plate
I tend to have mine high up, and the sender is in a port on the left side with the Perdix on the left wrist.

I take issue with your wording

If you put it as a straightforward proposition: if your transmitter stops working and you don't have a backup spg, you must abort the dive, then says who? is obvious. If you wrap it into a layer of conditional double-negatives, you might be able to confuse a feeble-minded reader into thinking you said something important.

If you put it as a straightforward proposition: if your transmitter stops working and you don't have a backup spg, you must abort the dive, then says who? is obvious. If you wrap it into a layer of conditional double-negatives, you might be able to confuse a feeble-minded reader into thinking you said something important.

I personally wouldn't bother, but thanks for the attempted clarification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom