Used Stinger or B/new Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

audiotyro

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Still a newbie but decided to buy a dive computer. For the same price I can get a Stinger that's about 1.5 years old and used for 45 dives. It's my cousin's and in fairly good condition. Or a brand new vyper. Any feedback would be appreciated. thanks.

Hey, welcome to the Board! You have a hard choice. From what I've read, the Stinger is top of the line. I don't think 45 dives should not put much wear and tear on it. Plus, you know its history because you would be buying it from your cousin. On the other hand, the Vyper is a good rig too and is bigger and easier to read underwater. I don't know what price you are going to pay but Leisurepro.com is selling the Vyper and Stinger for $325 and $499 respectively. For my money I would go with a new Vyper as opposed to a used Stinger.

Another vote for the Vyper. Great rig. Don't remember if the Stinger is downloadable or not but the Vyper would at least come with a warranty if you bought it new.....from LP........their warranty but lets not get into that discussion once again!

5615mike:
Another vote for the Vyper. Great rig. Don't remember if the Stinger is downloadable or not but the Vyper would at least come with a warranty if you bought it new.....from LP........their warranty but lets not get into that discussion once again!

You can download data from both units, but if it were my money I would go with the new vyper even if the stinger was my brother's. The stinger is a good computer, but I think overall the vyper is the best choice.

I got a Stinger and a buddy got a Vyper a couple of years ago.....both have had around 150 dives on them. Neither have had any problems, and we both swear by them. I like the stinger beacuse I like the wrist mounted style......he likes the Vyper because his vision isn't that great, and the display is a little bigger.

I don't think you can go wrong with either unit.......
Consider that warranty though.....I've never heard of one needing repair, but they would be expensive buggers to work on!!

Thanks for all the input. I'm glad I found this board. BEst one I've been to. With most of the advice my cousin has just made the decision harder to make, he's giving me payment terms. The algorithms are the same so it's really a choice between warranty and the size. I'm only 5'6" so the Vyper is a bit like a wall clock on my wrist. My eyesight is still okay and had been able to dive with the Stinger last weekend. Lastly, I'm convincing my wife to get a dive comp also. I'm asking her to look at the Vyper. :wink:

Stinger battery replacements are very expensive. I just spoke to someone who got 70 dives out of a batery and it cost him $70 to replace it. this represents a reduction in the cost from a year or two ago, when people were paying $120 for a stinger battery replacement.

We're a little bit lucky here. Battery replacement (w/ o-ring and the film thing) will cost the equivalent of US$16. Must be the labor cost and tax things. However, I just found out they don't have stock of the o-rings for stinger. Another thing consider. Good thing I don't have any dives scheduled in the next couple of weeks. Really have to decide carefully. Thanks to all and wouldn't mind any more comments.

Back
Top Bottom