Value of PST 120

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmorg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an oppertunity to buy a HP steel PST 120. It is out of hydro and VIP.
The seller wants $125 for it. What do you think is a fair price?

How far out? If in good shape, I wouldn't bat an eye at the $125 myself . . . a new HP 120 goes for more like $360 . . .

- Tim

Last year I purchased a used PST HP120 that was out of hydro and vis for $50. It cost me $20 for a hydro, VIP, and fill.
The PST HP120 is a rather tall tank. For the majority of my local dives, I actually prefer my Worthington X7-100s and PST HP100s.

How bad do you really need that tank?
How motivated is the seller to get rid of it?
In judging the value of the item, it all comes down to supply and demand in your local market for used steel scuba tanks.

If you really need a tank and you were going to get a HP120 anyway, then you'd be saving a great deal of money by buying this used tank vs. a brand new one.
If you don't really need another tank and the HP120 wasn't really what you were looking for, then you could always make a lower counter-offer ($75?) and see what happens. If someone else wants to pay more for it, good for them.

If it is already out of hydro/viz then pop the valve and have a look see. That is a good price.

Definitely a great price if it passes hydro. I used to dive exclusively with these tanks and loved the ability to get 2-3 dives out of a single tank. However, my oldest one failed hydro due to overexpansion (believed to be due to hot fills from a local topside station) and my second one failed visual 14 months after its second hydro (most likely due to wet fills on California dive boats). Your mileage in Illinois may vary substantially. I now dive with neutral buoyancy Al 80s.

Great price and I would take it in a second.

I bought 2 of these in February for 200 (total) - so a little less than yours - but that was from someone selling off everything and wanted it all gone in one day. They were both old and both out of hydro. Both passed no problem. I love these for single tank diving - they hold 122.5 at 3500!!!

I agree with akdeepdiver's suggestion. If it passes, be careful about wet fills (probably not a problem in Illinois like it is on California dive boats).

Thanks all for the reply's. I picked up the tank from the guy yesterday.He is a dive shop owner that closed his buisness a few years ago.He said he tumbled the tank before I went to get it.He also said there are no refunds with this deal,the transaction is final.So not being much of a gambler, I went for it.The tank still has a year and a half left on hydro, It is a sherwood genisis HP 120.I got it home and cleaned off all the old stickers .
I will take it up to DIVE RIGHT IN in plainfield to have it VIP'ed soon. I will let you know how it turns out
tank002.jpg

tank001.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom