Vancouver Vis Condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aug 12/09 Look-out express (Look-out to Whytecliff)

Vis 30+, some places upwards 50' but nothing less than 30'

At 100', tons of ambient light, very nice for a change. Did not need a dive light. Only used the light to look under rocks and such.

And dam that was a long dive, 112 minutes when all was said and done.

Just scud 1, using a AL80 stage for the first part of the dive then back gas. Then AL40 of 02 for deco, so about 220 cft gas was used in total. FYI we were down at 100' for 50 minutes.

Aug 16th 2009 Hut island wall howe sound 50 feet vis. Boyer Island north pinacle around 40 feet. 2 great dives off the Sea Dragon. Octopus on both dives, grunt sculpins, Irish lord I think, Puget Soung King crab on both dives. On the wall you could see the surface from 60-70 feet.

Aug 23rd Porteau nakaya 30-40feet vis. Huge ling, at least 5 feet, under the stern and an octopus under a steel sheeting thing about 20m on the way to the granthal. Rest of the park around 25 feet vis. The octopus under the slab at the granthal was home too. Looked like the arm I saw was about 4 inches tall.

Porteau had about 30' vis below 40' depth. Above was varying murkiness. Found an octopus den at the base of those big rectangular concrete things (near the girders) and a school of millions of small schooling fish (too small to be herring I think...). Also a big school of tube snouts.

Another prefect day at Porteau. While it was a bit chilly this morning, it warmed up nicely. And while the wind on the surface kicked up some waves, below it was pretty decent. 20'+ vis at the stern of the Grant Hall at about 55' or so.

We took a 30 deg heading from the Grant Hall over to where a few of you have found a gpo under some sheet metal (??). We didn't find the sheet metal, but we found some debris and weren't sure if it's part of the stern of the Nakaya or what?. Please let me know what it is (see last picture).

Regardless, underneath the large structure that was metal or concrete there contained a very pleasant surprise in the form of a friendly giant. I took a few pictures, then I placed my hand close to the den, flat, against the bottom and she literally unfurled a tentacle that rolled out to my hand like carpet. I moved my hand away slowly before she actually made contact, but it was still pretty damned cool.

Attachments

• PICT5575.jpg
    PICT5575.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 47
  • PICT5576.jpg
    PICT5576.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 44
  • PICT5577.jpg
    PICT5577.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 43
  • PICT5572.jpg
    PICT5572.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 51
That's the other octo. We saw that saturday in the adv/drysuit course I was doing my DM intern at.

Didn't get a chance to check out the other spot I saw one at.

Back
Top Bottom