Vancouver Vis Condition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another prefect day at Porteau. While it was a bit chilly this morning, it warmed up nicely. And while the wind on the surface kicked up some waves, below it was pretty decent. 20'+ vis at the stern of the Grant Hall at about 55' or so.

We took a 30 deg heading from the Grant Hall over to where a few of you have found a gpo under some sheet metal (??). We didn't find the sheet metal, but we found some debris and weren't sure if it's part of the stern of the Nakaya or what?. Please let me know what it is (see last picture).

Regardless, underneath the large structure that was metal or concrete there contained a very pleasant surprise in the form of a friendly giant. I took a few pictures, then I placed my hand close to the den, flat, against the bottom and she literally unfurled a tentacle that rolled out to my hand like carpet. I moved my hand away slowly before she actually made contact, but it was still pretty damned cool.
great dives for sure. Can you e-mail me some of the pics so I can forward them to Natalie.

Nice dive at Porteau today (Oct 29th). John Randy and I visited all the wrecks and found plenty of big octos home (I lost count after 4 or 5) plus one mutha of a Ling cod. They have also taken all the floats off the Nakiya so it's our little secret now.

Because it is falling apart, big time. There are some pretty tempting holes in the side and on the top deck but the thing is ready to implode. Dive today was awesome. We found her in almost 100fsw heading north of the Granthal. About a 5-7min swim. Tide was coming in. Visibility was excellent. 20ft+

BTW Dale you where lucky Randy and I fought off that Lingcod cuz he was going to eat you.

ry:
Next time I gotta find it, pm the bearing?
I think it's actually 30 degrees North/Northeast from the Granthall mid port side. If you drop down at the last white marker buoy at the North end of the park you will be within 20 feet of the Nakaya wreck. Then a 210 heading will take you back to the Granthall from the new concrete anchor near the Nakaya. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but we have done that route many times back and forth from the Nakaya to the Granthall both ways.

Ha Ha! You may be right Stuart. Ry, you'd better remove that thanks you gave me. The bearing 330 is for finding the VT-100 in Bedwell Bay. Perhaps my bolts are too tight :shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom