Vandenberg report and profile shock!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Horizon Divers in KL and our capt., Mike, exceeded my expectations. We headed out to the Grove for two drops and told him about our disappointing experience with Southpoint Divers. He said on his boat (Pisces) you dive your training and experience. Nuff said. The only thing he said later in the day was, now be careful with your depth with that 36 tank. ;-) that was my second and shallower dive. The dives were great with lots of black and Goliath groupers snatching baitfish. Visibility was about 50 ft with a knot and a half current. I'll definitely use Horizon divers again.

BTW: Captain's Corner said they were doing reefs with wounded warriors. Change of plans as we saw them out there. I wonder if they are better.

Absolutely: I dove the Vandy last year with Cap'ts Corner. The Captain let us know the time the boat would head back to dock and completely let my dive buddy and I plan our first dive, SI and second dive. No one lorded over us. When I want to dive the Vandy again, it will be with CC.

---------- Post added August 2nd, 2013 at 05:18 PM ----------

My wife told me to dive the Vandenberg and stay down for a couple of days - maybe even a week.

She also thought I would really enjoy the Botswana crocodile dive with the 18'ers which ignore you once you're on the bottom.

Should I be worried?

wow, that's weird, my wife told me the same thing, though she added the cage-less great white shark dive in Australia to my bucket list.

She also thought I would really enjoy the Botswana crocodile dive with the 18'ers which ignore you once you're on the bottom.

Should I be worried?

But do they let you dive the limits of your computer? If no, that's a deal breaker for me.

Must read for anybody planning to dive the Vandenberg. Plan was to do two dunks on the Sp. Grove Friday with a non D2D friend. I said hey Chuck let's go to Key West earlier and do the Vandy since I had never done it. I had to act quick and discovered it was difficult to find an operator going there on Thursday. Two of Johnoly 's reliable suggestions were unavailable. So that left me with Southpoint Divers. It's a nice large Newton and there was another couple for a total of only 4 divers. They had been on the boat all week and got their AOW recently, had nitrox and computers. Then came the briefing. The boat sits in 140 ft of water. Your maximum depth will be no deeper than 100', you will start your ascent at 20 minutes, and be on the surface no later than 28 minutes. After 28 minutes, if you are not on the surface we will assume you are lost and start search and rescue. I was incredulous. Not wanting to be benched for dive two, C and I were mostly obedient on only violated depth and time by a little bit. Needless to say, we had plenty of gas and no deco time on both dives before we were robbed of our time on the wreck. On the second dive we passed 3 navy divers with rebreathers and multiple cylinders. I automatically thought, geez, why couldn't we be on their boat. We feel completely ripped off by the experience. I don't regret doing it, only using this shop. I liked the wreck but didn't get the chance to see much of it in two 20 minute dives. What do those idiots think dive computers are for? Next time I'll plan more in advance and find an appropriate charter. Vis was a poor 30 ft, water was warm, some coral growth, holds very little fishlife. Gosh I hope Horizon Divers is better in KL tomorrow. BTW: Captain's Corner said they were doing reefs with wounded warriors. Change of plans as we saw them out there. I wonder if they are better.

Outrageous, would never be my choice of operator. They sell nitrox? They charge their full charter price for this?

I work for a KW dive shop and consider myself to be a "professional" Vandenberg guide. Close to 400 dives on the wreck with well over 200 as a paid guide. I will not bad mouth any of the local shops, but I know of two that impose very strict time and depth limits regardless of your training and experience. If you plan to dive the Vandenberg a few phone calls might be needed to decide what boat will be best suited to your needs. As mentioned earlier in this thread we get more than our fair share of out of shape and inexperienced divers here in KW. Many of these diver show up at the boat after a long night on Duval street, so we have to be very cautious and safety consious when dealing with divers. There are operators here that will let you dive to the limits of your training and abilities. This week we had a pair of divers that we had to limit their first dive to :45 as any longer really messes with the schedule, they also have been down to the sand at 150'. We do have many rules, some are - No Deco, back on the boat with 500psi, no penetration (swim throughs are fine), everyone has a computer, if it is beeping when you get on the boat you are done for 24 hours. I trust in my ability in being able to "read/screen" divers and a very thorough dive briefing with pictures and diagrams. As a guide I can hold your hand, or take you through swim through after swim through while keeping very focused on safety, air consumption, and NDLs with the goal of providing you with what for many is the best dive of your life.

We don't intend to tear it up with depth just to prove it on our computers. I'd be happy to stay in the 110' range and shallower but have extended time. SouthPoint Divers robbed us of time. I'm still in disbelief. I emailed them for an explanation but still no response. Anybody know the owner's email?

We don't intend to tear it up with depth just to prove it on our computers. I'd be happy to stay in the 110' range and shallower but have extended time. SouthPoint Divers robbed us of time. I'm still in disbelief. I emailed them for an explanation but still no response. Anybody know the owner's email?

You will be a long time awaiting response in this public forum as well as a private forum.

I despise 99.9% of the dive operators in Key Weird.
They are generally lazy, treat folks like cattle, insult your intelligence, and really could give3 a damn whether you have a good time or not.
I had a fuss with a DS (not DM...I meant Dip $h!t) when I had the AUDACITY to bring a pair of giant white epoxy Faber 149's aboard DKW boat a while ago...and..the...horror..they..had...no..NITROX BANDS on them.
Apparently there is a real problem with people just grabbing other people's tanks indiscriminately and diving them by mistake.
Giant white Fabers are so familiar to the cruise ship divers from Jerkwater City in the Midwest I guess.

Chug
Goes with Captains Corner in Key Weird, or I ain't diving at mile post 0.
PERIOD!

Chug
Goes with Captains Corner in Key Weird, or I ain't diving at mile post 0.
PERIOD!

Ouch. I don't require nitrox bands, but you'll only be allowed one....

Wookie
Doesn't like to be lumped in with others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom