Vandenberg report and profile shock!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouch. I don't require nitrox bands, but you'll only be allowed one....

Wookie
Doesn't like to be lumped in with others.

Wookie;
Apologies....
You are one of the good guys, I know that.
I think of you in a whole different class than the conventional dive charters down there.

Chug
Would dive on Frank's boat in a minute.

I had a lengthy conversation About the limitations placed on us. It was friendly but we were left with the bottom line we'd be considered "missing" and in search and rescue mode if over 28 minutes surfacing. On over 3,000 dives I have never had such ridiculous restrictions placed on me. I produced evidence of my training and it was obvious they only wanted to turn the boat over quickly for more afternoon passengers. Jupiter to Key West is a long expensive haul for two 20 minute dives at Keys costs. Very disappointed in Southpoint Divers. They obviously cater to very inexperienced divers who shouldn't dive the Vandy at all if such restrictions are in place.

With over 3000 dives, I'm not sure what you're complaining about. So you got a short one. It's not going to ruin your life. I'm sure it's not the first time and won't be the last.

20 minutes@100' on air actually requires about 10 minutes of deco and 68 CuFt of air for an average-to-new diver. With an optimal nitrox mix, it's better, but If it's a recreational boat, I can certainly see why they limit the time and depth.

Sorry, my "sympathy level" is pretty low on this one.

flots.

I agree with Flots am's post above. You were disappointed. Not going to be the first or last. I dove Southpoint once in 2011. I was pleased with the service and remember being relieved that they did not cancel on us as there were only three divers on a large Newton. The divers fees could'nt have covered the gas. The DM was very professional and fun to dive with. Sorry your experience was not the same.

With over 3000 dives, I'm not sure what you're complaining about.........

flots.

the way I read Amazz's original post was simply giving divers a 'heads up' that a dive boat in the Keys operates in a way that is completely out of the norm. Yes, I suppose she was complaining a bit too. While I don't have 3,000 dives, I do have 450 or so and most of them are 80 feet or deeper. If I had spent good hard earned money on such a dive as she experienced with Southpoint, I would not have been happy. With Amazz's 'heads up', I won't ever have to be unhappy diving the Vandy since I'll never use Southpoint. Maybe Southpoint gets a disproportionate share of cruise ship oriented divers or divers that don't dive regularly so they keep strict policies: if I'm right, then that's fine, but anyone with any amount of experience who dives similar profiles often would be disappointed and should avoid Southpoint. In a sense, the operator should be thankful since there are plenty of divers who won't be complaining about the policy in SB or giving poor reviews in Trip Advisor since those divers who read Amazz's post will just avoid the shop. Sharing experiences: both good and bad is what SB is all about. At least that's what I think.

For kicks and grins, I grabbed my log book to see what other operators allowed me to dive on the Vandy and similar profile wrecks/reefs in the Keys and here's what I found:

-May 2013: Silent World, Spiegle Grove. First dive 49 minutes, second dive 48 minutes- hit 102 feet on both dives but most of dives were shallower

-Sept 2012: Conch Republic, Eagle wreck. 51 minutes- hit 105 feet but most of dive was shallower

-Sept 2012: Conch Republic, Conch Wall. 66 minutes- hit 99 feet but most of dive was shallower

-May 2012: Captain's Corner, Vandenberg. First dive was 45 minutes, Second dive was 40 minutes- hit about 100 feet on both but most of the dives were shallower

-Sept 2011: Conch Republic, Duane wreck. 38 minutes- hit 105 feet and the current was ripping fast!

-Feb 2011: Subtropic (RIP): Vandenberg. First dive was 41 minutes, second was 40 minutes- hit 100 feet on first dive and 95 on second however most of the dives were shallower

I only note the above to demonstrate the fact that other operators are much more willing to let divers dive within their experience and skill level rather than looking for the lowest common denominator. Restricting dive times so severally is not the norm in the Keys, at least in my experience.

Last edited:
the way I read Amazz's original post was simply giving divers a 'heads up' that a dive boat in the Keys operates in a way that is completely out of the norm..

I agree,,If I'm doing research on boats that dive Vandy I like the dive details. Every level of diver doing research just wants to know how a boat typically operates. If I bring my steel LP nitrox tanks and every other tank is an air AL80, I want to read about that ahead of time so I can make an informed choice. Vice Versa, I'm not bringing my brand new diver niece with 4 logged dives on a usual 32% 130ft deep spearfishing trip. Different boats have different policies. Because of Amazz's write up, you can bet that someone with tri-mix doubles will probably book a different boat because they read the report and both the boat and the diver will be happy from knowing ahead of time.

I used Dive Key West in 2010. They did everything right. Rigged a weighted traverse line at 15' to the down line. Had a trailer out the back on a buoy. No time limits. They did not try to buddy me up, but I still hung out with a couple which seemed to know what they were doing... I would guess their ages as 70+ and they were better on sac than I was. Maybe in another 10 years in addition to needing less sleep, I will need less air. The only minor issue was having to go to the shop, rig up and they truck the gear to the boat and load it. I guess they want to see your gear to make sure you have what is needed before you leave the shop.

When we got back, there was no place at the marina to rinse the gear. I loaded it into my truck and had to wash it in the shower at the hotel. They do have a place to wash at the shop if you want to go there. I'm picky about my gear being exposed to the potential "knock around", but I got over it.

Exactly my point, sportxlh. And yes, I guess I was complaining a bit. This board is informative and I come here to do a lot of research before planning dive trips. Expectations and disappointment are in the eye of the beholder and I am RARELY disappointed with diving. I'm sure the other couple on the boat had no complaints. Time, distance, and hard earned money had me expecting more and they didn't deliver. The captain was also a little crusty and it left me with a bad taste that it would be a search and rescue if we were on the boat late. That wasn't necessary.

I made two dives on the Vandenberg last week on August 20th. I was originally scheduled to make two reef dives that morning with Lost Reef Adventures but the other divers scheduled to join me cancelled and they were able to get me on with the crew from Captain's Corner at the last minute. Once we got underway, we were provided with the traditional pre-dive orientation but nothing harsh or unreasonable at all. We were then "encouraged" to watch our bottom time closely to ensure no full decompression stops would be necessary. The seas were a little rough but the current below surprisingly minimal. Unfortunately the visibility was poor (at least it seemed poor to me) limiting my photography options due to some serious backscatter issues but I was able to take some decent HD video. Overall I was disappointed in the dive (due in no part at all to the fine dive crew from Captain's Corner). While the Vandenberg structure itself was impressive, other than a few nice barracudas there was just nothing of interest to see. Not one ray, eel, shark, turtle or even a large fish to be found inside or around the wreck. I am happy to have checked "Dive the Vandy" off my SCUBA bucket list, but I was disappointed in the dives themselves. One word of warning to those who plan to make this dive and have not; make sure you have a pair of gloves with you. All of the ropes leading down to the deck of the wreck are covered with small barnacles. After the two dives my hands felt like I had 50 paper cuts on them which was more irritating than painful. I hope you will all find lots to see your future Vandenberg dives. It sure beat working though.

With over 3000 dives, I'm not sure what you're complaining about. So you got a short one. It's not going to ruin your life. I'm sure it's not the first time and won't be the last.

20 minutes@100' on air actually requires about 10 minutes of deco and 68 CuFt of air for an average-to-new diver. With an optimal nitrox mix, it's better, but If it's a recreational boat, I can certainly see why they limit the time and depth.

flots.

20 minutes @ 100' does not require deco, 20 minutes is the NDL. However, I believe they were diving nitrox and wanted their extra 5 minutes.

However, I agree that the response was blown way out of proportion. My sympathy level is pretty low too.

remaining. Never asked for sympathy. Silly that anybody would bring that up. Just providing info to those looking for a dive op in KW. If you are experienced and have plenty of nitrox gas....this operation will limit you to an air/dive table profile regardless of your experience, equipment, tanks, gas mix. Hey....isn't this what this board is about....valuable information!

20 minutes @ 100' does not require deco, 20 minutes is the NDL. However, I believe they were diving nitrox and wanted their extra 5 minutes.

However, I agree that the response was blown way out of proportion. My sympathy level is pretty low too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom