Vandenberg report and profile shock!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will be a long time awaiting response in this public forum as well as a private forum.

I despise 99.9% of the dive operators in Key Weird.
They are generally lazy, treat folks like cattle, insult your intelligence, and really could give3 a damn whether you have a good time or not.
I had a fuss with a DS (not DM...I meant Dip $h!t) when I had the AUDACITY to bring a pair of giant white epoxy Faber 149's aboard DKW boat a while ago...and..the...horror..they..had...no..NITROX BANDS on them.
Apparently there is a real problem with people just grabbing other people's tanks indiscriminately and diving them by mistake.
Giant white Fabers are so familiar to the cruise ship divers from Jerkwater City in the Midwest I guess.

Chug
Goes with Captains Corner in Key Weird, or I ain't diving at mile post 0.
PERIOD!

I'll expect no response. I'm merely a small pebble among their inept dive clientele. Our mistake was a very small window of travel and them being the only op doing two dives on the Vandy that day. Never again with Southpoint. Bait and Switch. Their website states one thing and they enforce much more restrictive profiles.

Falling into the "almost dead" category, I resent that.

I'm well in the "overfed". Sorry about your impending deceasement.

Why not, you don't have an attitude?

I have one big time, but not regarding limitations on dives. If I set standards beyond what the training agency sets, am I insured for that?

I wouldn't lump Wookie in the same category as the KW operators -- they operate day boats and wookie a liveaboard that offers rec & tec trips. His dive policies are well published on his website. I think it boils down to no deco for rec divers and tec divers have to file a plan with the boat.

i've heard lots of good things about captain's corner.

and i'm not almost dead -- except before my morning coffee!

I have one big time, but not regarding limitations on dives. edit (e.g. attitude)

As I recall: you're biggest 'attitude' was when folks used more than 10 sheets of tp before each flush!!! :D This is not my video but its funny as can be! Diver's Potty Training - YouTube

I was out with the Spree in late May 2012 on a Dry Tortugas trip: I really enjoyed the trip and you let my dive buddy and I dive the Vandenberg as we saw fit as long as we stayed out of deco and weren't stupid, which I appreciated! As iluvtheocean said: I would not lump you with any run-of-the-mill operator!

I've used captains corner a quite a few times and have been very happy with them. I paid for a guide when I didn't have anyone I knew to dive with and it was worth it.

Amazz,

Did you tell the dive operator that given the restrictions on your dive you would not be coming back? Most of the operators I have encountered want their customers to be happy if for no other reason they want repeat business and recommendations. They may have been willing to adjust their policies if they had feedback. Or maybe not, their focus may have been on the next boat load of divers. If they fall into the latter group they may not be worth diving with again.

...it was obvious they only wanted to turn the boat over quickly for more afternoon passengers

Ding ding ding!

As I recall: you're biggest 'attitude' was when folks used more than 10 sheets of tp before each flush!!! :D This is not my video but its funny as can be! Diver's Potty Training - YouTube

I was out with the Spree in late May 2012 on a Dry Tortugas trip: I really enjoyed the trip and you let my dive buddy and I dive the Vandenberg as we saw fit as long as we stayed out of deco and weren't stupid, which I appreciated! As iluvtheocean said: I would not lump you with any run-of-the-mill operator!

i can see many captains getting attitude about someone clogging the head because they didn't use common sense.

can you not let this GO? you trashed this operator on trip advisor now you are spreading your ignorance on scubaboard. Why did you even dive with this operator? I called them, its obvious they have a conservative profile, they make it perfectly clear so that divers like you don't get your hoses in a tangle because you couldn't put yourself in harms way on their charter. You say you have a million dives...how are you that experienced and still go out on a charter that doesn't fit your cool guy profile. Rent you own vessel and dive your brains out and give the charters a break with your trashing talking of their livelihood. That and stay in Jupiter, don't need your kind in KW> The other 99% of the divers would appreciate the concern for safety by setting the expectations of the profile as opposed to you.

that they run
Must read for anybody planning to dive the Vandenberg. Plan was to do two dunks on the Sp. Grove Friday with a non D2D friend. I said hey Chuck let's go to Key West earlier and do the Vandy since I had never done it. I had to act quick and discovered it was difficult to find an operator going there on Thursday. Two of Johnoly 's reliable suggestions were unavailable. So that left me with Southpoint Divers. It's a nice large Newton and there was another couple for a total of only 4 divers. They had been on the boat all week and got their AOW recently, had nitrox and computers. Then came the briefing. The boat sits in 140 ft of water. Your maximum depth will be no deeper than 100', you will start your ascent at 20 minutes, and be on the surface no later than 28 minutes. After 28 minutes, if you are not on the surface we will assume you are lost and start search and rescue. I was incredulous. Not wanting to be benched for dive two, C and I were mostly obedient on only violated depth and time by a little bit. Needless to say, we had plenty of gas and no deco time on both dives before we were robbed of our time on the wreck. On the second dive we passed 3 navy divers with rebreathers and multiple cylinders. I automatically thought, geez, why couldn't we be on their boat. We feel completely ripped off by the experience. I don't regret doing it, only using this shop. I liked the wreck but didn't get the chance to see much of it in two 20 minute dives. What do those idiots think dive computers are for? Next time I'll plan more in advance and find an appropriate charter. Vis was a poor 30 ft, water was warm, some coral growth, holds very little fishlife. Gosh I hope Horizon Divers is better in KL tomorrow. BTW: Captain's Corner said they were doing reefs with wounded warriors. Change of plans as we saw them out there. I wonder if they are better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom