Vanity burst discs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
What is the point of putting a 4,000 psi burst disc on a LP tank which "may explode if filled 3,000 to 3,600 psi?" Comfort?

If you think your LP tank may explode at 3000 to 3600 psi, I suggest that you trash it now.

If you are referring to a LP tank to one with a working pressure of 2250 to 2400,
There testing pressure is 5/3 of their working pressure (or 66.7% overpressure) .

Working pressure Tests pressure

WP = 2250 psi >> TP = 3750 psi
WP = 2400 psi >> TP = 4000 psi

The testing pressure is what they will experience during hydro. The bursting pressure is substantially higher.

Yes, but why do some people insist that they may explode if they the are overfilled to a pressure much lower the the threashold of the burst disc?

I'm confused by te question.

If someone feels that a tank will explode if it's filled below it's hydro test pressure, they are plain wrong.

People who put a 4000psi burst disk on a LP tank, are just doing that to facilitate over filling the tank from it's intended pressure. The engineers who designed the tanks would tell you that is dangerous, but people have been doing it every day, for as long as scuba has been around I think.

Comrade Stroke

Not just that but back in the day people would fill the plug that holds the disk in place with lead to get "overfills".

fire_diver:
I'm confused by te question.

People who put a 4000psi burst disk on a LP tank, are just doing that to facilitate over filling the tank from it's intended pressure. The engineers who designed the tanks would tell you that is dangerous, but people have been doing it every day, for as long as scuba has been around I think.

Comrade Stroke
And that is why there are no burst disks on European tanks?

The neck O-ring will fail well below burst pressure.

deepblueme:
Not just that but back in the day people would fill the plug that holds the disk in place with lead to get "overfills".

Lead plugs were standard from the manufacturer (in the 50's and early 60's). They were design to melt in a fire.

Gilldiver:
And that is why there are no burst disks on European tanks?

That is not correct. The same tank O-ring connection is used during hydro.

Burst disk are intended to protect a tank from bursting during a fire.

At one time I think they were supposed to let go at about 50% overpressure (I can't remember exactly), or just below the normal testing pressure>

I own two sets of twin Poseidon and Draeger (European) tanks without burst disc and I keep minimal air in them (just in case of fire). They are great but that makes me nervous.

Gilldiver:

It is a very common misconception that neck o-ring extrusion will protect a tank from rupture. I believe that this idea has been promulgated by some of those of the DIR persuasion to justify their contention that burst disc's should be plugged. While, I will not argue the relative merits of plugs vs. higher rated discs, I have seen what happens to tanks in a fire. In both cases that I have seen, aluminum tanks have ruptured and LP steel tanks, blown their over-rated burst discs without the tanks, themselves failing and without the o-rings extruding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom