Video Editing Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do videography for weddings and other events including underwater. I have Macs and PCs and have used various editing packages on both platforms. Since you want to stick with the PC, most videographers that have to have a good reliable system that works will use Sony Vegas 6 and with the DVD Architect, you have a complete solution.

Premiere is so-so and has issues so I am sure Premiere Elements will have similar issues. Avid is very nice, but also very expensive and the features are designed for high-end users. If you polled PC users in the wedding videography world (videouniversity.com is a good board for wedding & event videography), you would find they mostly use Vegas which tells you something about the quality and reliability.

Hope this helps

H2OSensei:
Hi all.

I recently started shooting uw video and selected Pinnacle Studio as my editing software. I have had nothing but problems with the program and their Tech Support has no clue how to help me either.

I even went ahead and purchsed a new computer with a 3.8 ghz processor, 2 gigs of RAM, a 160 gb hard drive and a high end video card. Still doesn't work.

Be warned that this package SUCKS and their tech support sucks even more than the software.

Anyone have any suggestions on what program works well on a PC? ..... and please don't tell me to switch to a MAC.... been down that road and didn't like it.

Adobe Premier works very well on PC... Especially with that kind of system. It's very Professional. You can adjust colors, like you would be able to in photoshop. I believe you can even get a 30 day fully functional demo from Adobe. It's a huge download, but worth the wait.

Be aware that Premiere and Premiere Elements require Hyperthreading, which Athlon CPUs don't do prior to the x64 chip.

I just bought Sony's Vegas Movie Studio +DVD Platinum for my laptop. It does capture, editing, DVD layout and authoring and the Platinum version includes Sony's Acid music editor and also does HDV capture. So far I'm liking it, but I haven't done much with it yet. $130 at Fry's Electronics.

sjspeck:
I just bought Sony's Vegas Movie Studio +DVD Platinum for my laptop. It does capture, editing, DVD layout and authoring and the Platinum version includes Sony's Acid music editor and also does HDV capture. So far I'm liking it, but I haven't done much with it yet. $130 at Fry's Electronics.
I have been looking at this too, just can't find it in a store. I can get the academic price of $89 online, and will probably get it to replace Pinnacle. Let us know how it works...cuz Pinnacle blows.:D

I've done hundreds of hours of editing and finished work on PCs with both Premiere and Sony Vegas. I have also done hundreds of hours with Canopus DV STorm SE

If you want professional results and support, buy a professional product. It's as simple as that.

H2OSensei:
Hi all.
Be warned that this package SUCKS and their tech support sucks even more than the software.

Anyone have any suggestions on what program works well on a PC? ..... and please don't tell me to switch to a MAC.... been down that road and didn't like it.

What are you trying to do. How many video and audio tracks d you typically use? Are you doing much comositing and keyframming. Do you tend to "stack" effects?

Perhaps you are trying to use the software for things other then what "mainstream" users do. You have to figure that most people using low-end software on PCs are just cutting out the part where the camera was pointed at the ground for 15 minutes on there last trip to Disney World. It's best to see if your needs match the average buyer of the software. You can pretty much figure that if the box sells for $85 at Best Buy it's aimed at the Disney Vacation Crowd. You might want to look at packages targeted to those who are shooting for Cable TV shows.

You say you tried a Mac. What was t you did not like abut Final Cut Pro? Did you see only the first Version 1.0? If so it's imprved a lot over the years.

I wasn't doing anything real complex. Just added some clips, music, transitions and menus. Once I tried to burn to DVD, it would go for about an hour, then give me "Export Failure (render error)"

They tried to blame it on my hardware, until I bought a new computer and then they couldn't come up with an intelligent suggestion or troubleshooting process.

I wasn't expecting "professional quality" results, but I do expect the company who makes the software to be able to support it. I think that is a reasonable expectation. I've managed a Techical Support department and I know crappy support when I hear it. Incompetent techicians who hang up on you when they don't know how to resolve an issue and sending me the same technical paper six times is below average in my book.

Pinnacle is pretty much a plague upon the world but the UI is nice. Good thing because you'll spend lots of time doing things 5 times due to crashes and it getting confused about what it's doing.

Premiere is awesome. Vegas is probably the best value. Nero is a super simple one and rock solid if that's what you are looking for. Try some trials. You didn't say if you were doing HD or not.

Back
Top Bottom