Vintage SCUBA Posters 're-mastered'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed... get yourself up to Subic... Mark at Arizona has a nice little display of vintage gear, along with WWII artifacts they've salvaged from the Bay. I'm going to suggest to him running some sort of vintage divers club/get-togethers up there. Would that interest you? (Founder member? LOL)
'

:D

Heck yeah!

It would be even greater, if someone could join me as well! I can bring two Phoenix HPRs just for the DH experience. Then the single-stage regs can follow (after I retrieve them from my LDS where they are currently on display).

Ed.. lets try and hook up to discuss. I could create a webpage for a club/info etc. There's bound to be more than a few vintage divers in the area... Your idea to run 'vintage try dives' is awesome.. will get new people interested and allow people to share and try different rigs. I'd be the first to try a dive with your DH... I'm fascinated... might spur me to seek out my own.. LOL

I've seen vintage dive clubs in the UK and other places. Looks seriously cool when there's a 'mass gathering' at a dive center (and in the water). Back in the UK there is a 'Historical Diving Society' - they even do dives with old surface-supplied Hard Hat rigs... draws a huge crowd.

In the early days of recreational diving underwater photography was a science and art of the future..so most SDM covers were either top -side pictures or paintings of underwater activity...All but one SDM cover painting was by the late great John Steel..

Willard Voit who owned Voit Rubber Company, in LA and later Orange County California, was a fan of John's paintings purchased a number of the paintings and the rights to the paintings to use on his diving products. Voit also released a limited number of 20 X30 inch posters to advertise his products in the shops of that era. These posters if located are very collectable and would be very very expensive to purchase.

You possibly can find a few "vintage or Old" Voit boxes on e bay and a possible slim chance a SDM Steele cover.

You can also (I think)find a picture or two in Eric Hanauer's book "Diving Pioneers" as well as the cover of the book which was also painted by John.

Eric also wrote an article on John in a 2001 edition of SDM. In the article is a picture of John and two of John's paintings, one a AP and the other a full size painting. According to John and wife Carole they were his favorite paintings...They were of me as a 20 year old diving on a 27 pound sheepshead fish at Catalina attired in the diving costume of the day; homemade Sturgil mask, green Churchill fins, wearing a WW 11 GI sweater for thermal protection and aiming a modified Champion Arablete spear gun at the terrified fish...Oh the horror of it all!

I never released the painting for an SDM cover, so the only place it can be viewed is in SDM which should be easy to locate on E bay..Or visit me and see it up close and personal

VDH has T-shirts using the logo. Shop Online
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI
The logo is the 1956 US Divers company/product logo

Certainly not new to the diving world -

VDH has modified the original and adapted it for their company logo. "Generally" with 10 +% of change there is no infringement of copy rights and or patents.

Enforcement is a very long and expensive activity - Often a "Cease and desist" letter wil do the trick.

SDM

The poster I liked was similar to this one but looked out over a reef with a couple of divers swimming over it.

home-blog-scuba-poster-1.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI
The logo is the 1956 US Divers company/product logo

Certainly not new to the diving world -

VDH has modified the original and adapted it for their company logo. "Generally" with 10 +% of change there is no infringement of copy rights and or patents.

Enforcement is a very long and expensive activity - Often a "Cease and desist" letter wil do the trick.

SDM

Sam, US Divers and Aqua-Lung are registered trademarks of someone (Air-Liquide?). So wouldn't using the words/logo US Divers or Aqua-Lung, require the trademark owner's permission?

---------- Post Merged at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:26 PM ----------

I'm going to track down some more images a play again tomorrow (got another typhoon on the way, so no bookings for the next few days).

I am not sure if you are aware of this site or not, but it may help your creative juices flow: http://www.skindivinghistory.com/mfg_retailers.html

I could see a retro line of t-shirts similar to what old navy does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom