visual inspection after hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superstar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does a tank need a dive shop VIP after a hydro test?
The hydro shop tells me they visually inspect the tank before the hydro test. The local dive shop can't emphasise enough to me how much more important their VIP is than a hydro test. Is my LDS blowing smoke?

Blowing smoke, is the nice way of saying it IMO.
If you do a search on VIP worldwide, you will find, that it's a US invention, for shops to make more $$$$
Although AL tanks(cusom overthere) are not as strong as steel tanks, IF they would/could not stand the 5 years between hydro's, there is something VERY wrong with them.

I am PSI certified and do the visual inspection on the tanks before I hydro them. I am not sure if the LDS does an additional visual or not though.

tank can come back from a hydro facility with water in it..or worse...so yes a reliable LDS will want to vip the tank.

tank can come back from a hydro facility with water in it..or worse...so yes a reliable LDS will want to vip the tank.

:shocked2: Instead of a VIP (if thru) you guys need to rethink the way you do hydro. :shakehead:

So, for only $15 to $20, they check for water and fill your tank. Another LDS bargain.

After I get my tanks back from a hydro I give them a good cleaning. The water in some hydro shops is not the type of water I would like to see in my tanks.

Jim breslin

After I get my tanks back from a hydro I give them a good cleaning. The water in some hydro shops is not the type of water I would like to see in my tanks.

Jim breslin

Are you sayin' they fill them up with naughty poop-water?

Smoke.

Are you sayin' they fill them up with naughty poop-water?

No, there are no baby ruths floating in the water. I PP fill my cylinders with o2 and don't want to take a chance on any hydro carbons hanging around.

Jim Breslin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom