Vr3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lucid once bubbled...
I just called OMS and the VR3 msrp is now $1900+. How the heck can a company justify raising the price of a computer that has had a lot of problems since it first came out? Completely rediculous.

/me makes mental note to by backup bottom timer and stick to tables for a while =]

You mean like the $200,000 piece of crap Astin Martin?

lucid once bubbled...
-

I check them out. Tom, did you have any problems getting warranty work done since you purchased it from an online source?

-Nate

BE careful here. I quizzed Delta-p concerning prices from LeisurePro and they said "who?" They stated that the ONLY authorized US agent is OMS. They did not seem to care that alot of us do not particularly like to deal with OMS.

I have not checked the UK web prices lately, but when I did last, they were very close to LPs. LP also did not have the IR link and Proplanner.

Phil

I posted earlier that the HS explorer manual wasn't fully up to date with the latest software. the web site has been updated with a new simulator and up to date manuals.. So far I haven't found any mistakes or omissions.
The explorer doesn't truely lock out.. If you blow required deco it still functions as a bottom timer and guage.. if you haven't completed its required deco, it shouldn't be guessing.. I've have had many occasions where my VR3 went into Use tables (but since I never really violated the deco ceiling it still functioned but made its stops much longer) mainly because its deep stops are deeper than everything else buhlman based. to get the deep stops the same I really have to raise the GF but then the decos become much longer than necessary.

this post has yielded a wealth of info - kudos to lucid :)

for me personally, since i'm at least a year away from trimix, i'll stick with my bottom timer for now due to the following reason :

1) technology progresses at a fair clip so there's probably enough advances by then to slightly change the answers on this thread
2) save me some moolah on upgrades to get the latest
3) embed the discipline of working with dive tables

padiscubapro once bubbled...
I posted earlier that the HS explorer manual wasn't fully up to date with the latest software. the web site has been updated with a new simulator and up to date manuals.. So far I haven't found any mistakes or omissions.
The explorer doesn't truely lock out.. If you blow required deco it still functions as a bottom timer and guage.. if you haven't completed its required deco, it shouldn't be guessing.. I've have had many occasions where my VR3 went into Use tables (but since I never really violated the deco ceiling it still functioned but made its stops much longer) mainly because its deep stops are deeper than everything else buhlman based. to get the deep stops the same I really have to raise the GF but then the decos become much longer than necessary.

The use tables sign is their liability release. it will still provide you with deco info that works.
If you have had many occations were this has happend then you are not doing proper deco...i'll bet you are skipping the deep stops...the only way it goes into this mode is if you mess up your deco profile. actualy come to think of it for it to go in this mode you must miss two deco stops.
it also bases its deco on helium that is why it is shorter. Buhlman bases it on nitrogen..[the short version here] but it is why it is quicker on deco.

if you havent done your required deco, and your computer goes into gauge mode, and then you pull out a table..you are guessing, because you missed your deco stops you are no longer within a known algrithom. so either you guess with a timer and tables or the computer guesses by adapting or adjusting the algarithom. it is your chioce.

If you are not diving trimix...the VR3 is a waste of money....however it was cheaper than my Vytek

AquaTec once bubbled...

The use tables sign is their liability release. it will still provide you with deco info that works.
If you have had many occations were this has happend then you are not doing proper deco...i'll bet you are skipping the deep stops...the only way it goes into this mode is if you mess up your deco profile. actualy come to think of it for it to go in this mode you must miss two deco stops.
it also bases its deco on helium that is why it is shorter. Buhlman bases it on nitrogen..[the short version here] but it is why it is quicker on deco.

if you havent done your required deco, and your computer goes into gauge mode, and then you pull out a table..you are guessing, because you missed your deco stops you are no longer within a known algrithom. so either you guess with a timer and tables or the computer guesses by adapting or adjusting the algarithom. it is your chioce.

I don't agree, many of the tables I have run (and follow) I end up seeing the VR3's first stop is 10-20 feet deeper (depends on profile and seems to be worse on a CCR).. If I am to stay on my tables I ignore the VR3 stop, now I'll get that use tables message..(and I end up staying in the water longer to clear the VR3 which now penalized me) IF I raise the GF I can get it to match but the times become longer than I feel is necessary.. I don't use proplanner and I hate the computer menu interface so I don't know what the VR3's stops are going to be(to put that in as a waypoint).. So iTs strictly a backup for me(if my explorer craps out and I go off my tables - pretty unlikely).. I stay within my tables and within my Explorer.. On "air" based dives I leave the VR3 home and use a commander (with constant PO2) as a backupup since I can get the 2 computers to agree nicely. I havent used the RGBM mode on the explorer yet, but judging by the profiles I have run the stops are deeper and would satisfy the deep stop of the VR3 but now since the deco is shorter I'm afraid I'll end up "bending" the VR3 unless I end up hanging alot longer..
It would be nice to be able to skip the deep stop without getting penalized on deco..

It also looks like the profiles generated by the RGBM software are relatively close to VPM so thats another plus for me since I was experimenting with those profiles this summer..

I would also add to the comment IF you don't dive helium its a waste.. I don't think its ENTIRELY true.. If you dive a CCR either computer VR3 or Explorer are worth using..
On OC if you aren't diveing Trimix your wasting your money.

Remember I can not comment on the computer you are using as i do not have one, or am i familure with it....tables i can comment on along with the VR3

[/B][/QUOTE]
I don't agree, many of the tables I have run (and follow) I end up seeing the VR3's first stop is 10-20 feet deeper (depends on profile and seems to be worse on a CCR).. If I am to stay on my tables I ignore the VR3 stop, now I'll get that use tables message..(and I end up staying in the water longer to clear the VR3 which now penalized me)
First off it is ok to disagree, but to look at two differnt sides is benificial. as long as you remember i am not trying to convince you to do anything different than you are doing now.

the stops on the VR3 are deeper than tables by a little bit, if you skip them then you will send the VR3 in a missed eco mode "use tables" and you will do extra deco, especialy at gas switches or high Po2 portions of the dive, this is a good thing.

A quick question for you ...how do you plan your deep stopsI take half the distance between my first stop and my max depth and make that my first deep stop, then do it again between those two stops until i have reached my first deco stop. the VR3 does something simular but it tends to end up slightly deeper.

IF I raise the GF I can get it to match but the times become longer than I feel is necessary.. I don't use proplanner and I hate the computer menu interface so I don't know what the VR3's stops are going to be(to put that in as a waypoint).. So iTs strictly a backup for me(if my explorer craps out and I go off my tables - pretty unlikely).. I stay within my tables and within my Explorer..
I agree i too do not use the simulator mode on the computer, just out of lazyness though. the GF is a safety factor and will add to your overall decompression commitment, [i am assuming you are talking about the setting in set up labled "safe" I set mine at zero or 1 depending on the dive, and i will match the others in my team.. also when you add in your way points on other software it is using nitrogen as the speed to which you will on gass and off gas. as far as i know the VR3 is the only one using Helium the gas.if it is programed in to do so. this is why the run times are a bit shorter.

On "air" based dives I leave the VR3 home and use a commander (with constant PO2) as a backupup since I can get the 2 computers to agree nicely. I havent used the RGBM mode on the explorer yet, but judging by the profiles I have run the stops are deeper and would satisfy the deep stop of the VR3 but now since the deco is shorter I'm afraid I'll end up "bending" the VR3
Like i said you must stay within your comfort level when you dive, i leave my VR3 home for recreational dive and i use a Vytek.

You can not bend a VR3, that is another great point of it, it will always give you the best deco procedure for the dive you are doing. by using the words "best guess" it is telling you that you are outside the normal algarithom thats all,

It would be nice to be able to skip the deep stop without getting penalized on deco..
In the original version "the Brick" you could eliminate the deep stops, but the feeling now is that would be as silly as eliminating the shallow stops, so now it is not an option.

I was recently in the Caymans, four of us diving two on tables and two on VR3's, our deep stops were deeper than theirs, but we caught up to them and we cleared deco about 20 minutes faster than them

AquaTec,

My impression of the VR3 from that manual was that it would recompute your profile on the fly. IOW, you stay at depth longer or, as in your last post, not do a stop, and it would refigure your remaining profile based on that new info, gases, etc. That would not seem to be the case based on your last post. Or does it do that, but give you the "use tables" message in the bargain?

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom