Want to buy an apeks set but completely lost in the options available.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shamufish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've managed to select my kit from online searches, but I'm struggling for the reg and octo + 1st stage.

I'm planning to dive recreational in the UK AND the tropics. I think I'll only need a single tank setup. I suppose I'll want to be able to do nitrox, too.

I'm told by everyone and their grandmas that Apeks is the way to go, but when I go on their website, I'm presented with 300 millions regulators (I barely exaggerate) and no real way to differentiate them.
How come for example they are famous for 'working in cold water' yet they manufacture environmentally dry sealed regs specific for cold water, and then flag the others for being 'temperate' water regs? And their 'flight stage' ones are specific to warm waters?

And what if I dive nitrox in the UK, do I need to get a sealed reg that's nitrox specific?

My head hurts... any advice would be much appreciated.

You will not go wrong with either XTX50, XTX100 or XTX200. I have three sets of the XTX100's and love them. I dive in 34deg and have had no problems at all. Good luck.

I'd go with an XTX50.

Environmentally sealed so it's good for cold water. Will work fine at any depth you will ever take it to. Cheaper than the XTX100 or XTX200

Would also suggest the XTX50 for octopus/second. The 50 is adjustable unlike the 40. That gives it more flexibility if you ever need to switch regs around or start diving doubles.

I'ved use the XTX50 and XTX50 octo for years for all types of diving...I use they're tech reg's too and they're by far my favorite brand reg...... And Apeks's customer service has always been excellent.......Now if I could just get my hands on their 100% Nitrox Flight reg. I'd really be happy:crafty:......

I'm not sure which countries it is relevant to but I think Apeks may have a deal on the XTX200/50 at the moment. It is for working instructors only but if you know one you may be able to lubricate them with beer to buy one on your behalf. :wink:

The XTX50 is all you would ever want or need.
The DST is an excellent sealed 1st stage, so much so it has been copied by many other "tier 2" mfg. you know you have some something right when people are willing to copy your design and pass it off as their own.
the XTX50 2nd is a workhorse that breathes great and is at home in the Cold Atlantic ocean like in the warm Caribbean.

Another vote for XTX50. Any APEKS first stage will do, so go with the DS4 as it's the cheaper one. I'm using TEK3's for doubles, and internally they're pretty much identical to the DS4.

Another vote for two XTX50's--don't skimp on your octo.

I'm quite partial to the hose routing of the 5-port DST if you can get one. They're great for singles, and perfect for doubles.

and another vote for two XTX50s I went with the FSR first stage as I liked its hose routing on single tanks more the the DS4, although the FST is very similar, some say better, I think the ports are at slightly better(?) angles. also the XTX50/100 and 200 2nds are identical save some cosmetics.

I've been meaning to have a go at answering the OP for a while but haven't had the time to devote to it...

Part of the reason Apeks can be a bit confusing is that their regs are largely retailed as first and second stage pairs, referred to by the model name of the second stage. As you can see from some of the posts above, it's not clear whether people are talking about a first or second stage or a pair, and if a pair, then which first stage. Then there are the series. So let me try to make it a little clearer:

Series:

T, TX, ATX, XTX: Basically these are the evolutions over time, with the current series (XTX) starting around 2007 IIRC. Most of the below first & second stages were available in each series, some exceptions being the Flight and Tek3s which only evolved after the start of XTX. To add to the confusion you can still buy new ATX series in some models/markets; NOS I think

First stages (http://www.apeks.co.uk/products/product_cats.asp?Lan=ENG&Category=First Stages):

US1, US4, UST - these are all nsealed (for use in warm, uncontaminated water). 1 & 4 refer to the number of Low Pressure or LP (which Apeks like to call medium Pressure or MP) ports. T means it has a swivel turret
DS4, DST - [D]rysealed for use in cold and/or contaminated water. 4 LP ports, the T has a [T]urret to allow the LP hose ports to turn
FSR, FST - Both sealed, both have 4 LP ports, no turrets. Higher end regs/better performance deep. FST has replaceable ARCAP valve seat
Tek3 - dedicated left & right handed doubles regs for better hose routing
Flight - ultra-lightweight travel reg

Most of the above are available from the factory in DIN or yoke fitting and also with the STatus gimmick and as dedicated Nitrox (CE regs) models (which in the EU come with an M26 DIN thread) - with the exception of the Tek3s. Most ATX series first stages had one 1/2" LP port with the rest of the LP ports the 'standard' 3/8" size

Second stages (Apeks Products - actually this page is a mix of seconds and pairs):

20 - basic warm water reg, has cracking pressure adjustment
40 - same as 20 but with a heat exchanger, so suitable for cold water
50/100/200 - same as 40 but with breathing resistance knob. Only other differences are cosmetic between them
Egress - low profile octo
Flight - matching second stage, has proprietary toll-free hose fitting so only works with Apeks hose

Again most if not all of the above are or were available in T, TX, ATX and XTX series. T/TX were big and heavy. XTX have interchangable wide/narrow exhaust Ts and you can reverse the venturi to make the hose route from the left, they also have a different purge button. 20/40/50/100/200 can all be converted to each other by swapping or retrofitting the various knobs etc

Pairings (these vary a bit from market to market eg US and EU but are typically as follows):

XTX20 - UST or US4 first stage
XTX40 - DST or DS4
XTX50 - DST
XTX100 - FST
XTX200 - FSR
Flight - Flight
Tek3 - L&R firsts come with pair of XTX50 seconds, and hoses inlcuding 7' primary, and necklace for secondary

The other firsts usually come as single units

All clear now? Good

If anyone has any additions/corrections - I'm not very familiar with the early T/TX series - maybe we can update and sticky this somewhere as these questions are (understandably) always coming up

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom