Want to buy new fins... Need opinions please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OHDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
:confused:
I currently dive with full foot fins.... I am thinking of buying a pair of boots and a strap on set of fins... I don't want anything that is super long either...
Any suggestions???

I love my Mares Volo fins.

I use split fins and they've extended my diving years. But I'm an old fart. I suggest doing some test drives. Talk to your local dive shop. If they are good they'll manage to figure out a way for you to do it. Then support them if they've made a good effort to help you.

OHDiver once bubbled...
:confused:
I currently dive with full foot fins.... I am thinking of buying a pair of boots and a strap on set of fins... I don't want anything that is super long either...
Any suggestions???

I hear over and over how well splitfins work. It might be worth looking into but I can't recommend a type because I don't use them myself. You might be able to find some reviews at www.scubadiving.com in the gear section but keep in mind that manufacturers probably pay kickbacks to Rodales for good reviews. At least it will give you an overview of the options.

That said, I personally dive with AquaLung Blade II and find them excellent. You didn't want anything too long, though so they're probably not for you.

Walter's suggestion (I assume he was trolling) probably won't get you anywhere. If you're diving with a full foot fin now then you probably dive with light gear in warm water. I'd venture that the jetfin will screw up your trim. They very heavy.

The Mares volo, WileEDiver's suggestion, isn't as good as the Quattro Avanti in my opnion (sorry wileE, different strokes I guess). To me the Volo might be ok for tropical diving but if you're diving dry and especially if you're assisting other divers when everone is dry then the volo isn't enough fin.

R..

I don't troll.

Jet Fins are not heavy. They will not screw up your trim. They are slightly negative in salt water. Jets give you more control and leave you less fatigued while also producing power when you need it. They will last longer than almost any other fin on the market and are not outrageously priced. I do prefer the long Cressi's when freediving, but in all other situations, I find nothing can perform like Jets. I have used many different fins, including two different (Bios and Twin Jets) types of split fins. Nothing can compare favorably to Jets.

But I prefer my Quattro Pros. The split fins seem to work well for shorter, quick kicks, but I felt that I got just as much power with fewer, longer kicks using the QP's. These fit in my bag, where my old Maxirondines don't, so I don't know if they are considered long or not.

Diver0001 once bubbled...
The Mares volo, WileEDiver's suggestion, isn't as good as the Quattro Avanti in my opnion (sorry wileE, different strokes I guess). To me the Volo might be ok for tropical diving but if you're diving dry and especially if you're assisting other divers when everone is dry then the volo isn't enough fin.
No offense taken, certainly the choice of fins is very much one of personal preference, But I dive with my Volos mostly in Monterey (certainly not tropical) with a dry suit, and stand by my previous statement, I love my Mares Volo fins. I have no problem assisting anyone in the water with these fins on.

They're similar design to the Quattros, but with one less "channel" thingy. I haven't dove Quattros so I can't compare them directly, but I like the X3s and they were a little less $$$.

Thanks to everyone trying to help out with suggestions..... Feel free to keep em commin..... It will all help me in making my selection.....
I think I will also head to my LDS soon to see and try some of them too....
Thanks again.....
Karen

Oh.... does anyone have a boot preference too?

Back
Top Bottom