Want to buy new fins... Need opinions please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a set of Tusa Zooms. And , with one exception I like them. The one thing I dont like about them is they are weak in strong currents....at least for me. No matter how hard I work or what style kick I use.....I usually lose ground in a strong current.

I went out and got me a pair....because the shop was closing and they were almost free....of Mares Avantis. This weekend I dove off the coast of north carolina in some current and had no problem making head way.

I would love to try a pair of those Dacor Black Tigers but the price is so crazy that is a no go. but if i ever find them on the internet... i would probably take a chance and buy them untested.

anyone have a pair of tigers??? like them???

OHDiver once bubbled...
<snip>

Oh.... does anyone have a boot preference too?

In terms of boots I would look for features. Obviously good fit in important for comfort. Get ones with a zipper to make them easy to get on and off. Also a sturdy rubber sole will be comfortable walking on rocks or gravel and will offer some grip on wet ship-decks. I don't think the brand matters much. I have a pair from Beaver that I'm happy with for what it's worth.

R..

I would second the Mares Avanti X-3s

I have a pair and get on really well with them. I particulalry like the ABS buckles.

As for the Quattros, an instructor at my LDS was always fond of saying "I went out with one Quattro and one Avanti and didn't go round in circles!"

Dom

I'm on my second pair of Force fins and prefer them to split fins. If fitted properly, you kick more with the ankle instead of the foot.

Also consider that FF are smaller and lighter for traveling, and you can almost walk in them. And their bungee strap is simply great.

I've got a pair of Pro Force Fins. They're not cheap, but definitely worth every penny. They also feel a bit strange at first, but you soon get used to them and you'll certainly have no problems keeping up with anyone! They are designed to be super efficient so you use less force to get you where you want to go. You pull them on with a bungee strap (much less fiddly than the conventional straps that buckle into place). They look really cool too. And you can even just about walk around when you're wearing them. Wouldn't swop them for the world!

Absolutely love my Avanti Quattro's, but have tried the TanDelta Force fins and the new Cressi Rondine's and really liked both of them.

I've always swam with US Diver Rocket fins and have never had a problem. They are stiff enough to give power when you need it, but not to the point of being uncomfotable. Rockets have been around for about 40 years and are still available for purchase. That has to mean somthing. Those fins will last about twenty years (literally). I bought a pairs of Mares Quattros and didn't like them. They were too long to fit in my gear bag, the quick release buckles came undone on both the dives I made with them, and their lack of weight made me feel un- balanced (I was used to the Rockets). I sold the Quattros and went back to the Rockets. You can get a pair of Rockets off ebay for about $25. Scubapro Lightning Jets are probably better than Rockets. I tried a friends Jets and they seemed "smoother".

dleiss once bubbled...
I'm on my second pair of Force fins and prefer them to split fins. If fitted properly, you kick more with the ankle instead of the foot.
Worth trying, may look different but then again a car at one time looked different from horses!

Amazing power inthe force fin range, and you never (touch wood) get cramp inthe foot - easy to move thru the water and good for current work.

Can be used for frog kicking and is good for hovering and navigating thru small areas (wrecks and passages).

Worth trying

henners once bubbled...
I've got a pair of Pro Force Fins. They're not cheap, but definitely worth every penny. They also feel a bit strange at first, but you soon get used to them and you'll certainly have no problems keeping up with anyone! They are designed to be super efficient so you use less force to get you where you want to go. You pull them on with a bungee strap (much less fiddly than the conventional straps that buckle into place). They look really cool too. And you can even just about walk around when you're wearing them. Wouldn't swop them for the world!
Another sample of the loyality to a product that works, again try before you buy any thing else. You might be surprise at the reduction in effort required to out pace your buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom