WARNING***Ebay selling unsafe cyl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The government covers your tail as demonstrated through the DOT monitoring the safety of high pressure gas cylinders. Would you prefer voluntary compliance by corporations if problems develop? What if they just denied that there was a problem? How about covering your tail with food safety inspections throught the USDA and FDA? How about covering you by health inspections of restaurants? If no one inspected restaurants, would that be a good thing? Not to mention watching out by providing sewage and water treatment, garbage collection. How about government watching you tail by providing police and fire protection and prisons? But, maybe you are just a trusting, rugged individualist.

is just that ex1usnr. It is not mandated by DOT and exists because industry figured out how to make it profitable. It's a great example of how the Scuba industry is regulating itself. I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar for other gear as well.

The annual visual inspections are required by dive shops. The tank pressure ratings and five-year hydros are required by DOT.

all the test are fine but they don't replace poor type of material as warned by DOT.

my remark was not intented to start a debate about govt Regulation just the fact that these are list on e-bay and I am sure others but that is the ones I was aware of. as some spoke of in a earlier post we have to look out for each other and I figured warning others that may be like me and not know would help, I wish someone would have told me this earlier

goldhunter_2 once bubbled...
all the test are fine but they don't replace poor type of material as warned by DOT.

my remark was not intented to start a debate about govt Regulation just the fact that these are list on e-bay and I am sure others but that is the ones I was aware of. as some spoke of in a earlier post we have to look out for each other and I figured warning others that may be like me and not know would help, I wish someone would have told me this earlier

I usually tell new divers not to buy tanks for at least the first year.

Unless you dive a couple of times a week, use an oddball size, or head for the boonies for extended trips, renting tanks from the LDS is probably cheaper and certainly easier.

goldhunter_2 once bubbled... Unfortuantlly I bid on sevral 3Al tanks on e-bay and won one nearby. I have since found out that the www.DOT.com has a safety alert out ,
You're confused and misinformed on several issues. www.dot,.com is a general shopping directory site. The DOT (Dept. of Transportation) , hazmat division, atan entirely different URL, regulates scuba cylinders. What safety alert are you referring to?

The 6351-T6 cylinders are still safe for use and have not been recalled, although they haven't been manufactured in years as the 6061-T6 alloy is stronger, and safer since none have been reported to have sustained load cracking (SLC) in the neck.
I have also looked at a ew more and notice there are sevreal of these cyl being sold on e-bay. I understand that my lack of knowledge is no excuse so I will pay for what I bid on then trash can it. I wanted to warn anyone else who may look there so they are not put in the same place or wrose just don't know and use the tank then get killed or dimembered [/B]
You can dispose of the cylinder, but there are millions of them still in service. Only a very small percentage (well under 1%) have had any problems. The hydro test and visual inspections have done a good job overall of catching problem tanks. Unfortunately, it only takes one to cause a lot of damage and loss of limb or life.

Your message is well intentioned but is alarmist, uninformed and over reactionary.

Luxfer still has the $50.00 buy back program running - so you can always ship it to Luxfer, get a voucher, and apply that to a new tank. Here's a link where we have the info on our site: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/tanks/luxfer.asp

It amazes me somethimes what people will buy on Ebay without thinking it though... I just had a customer yesterday call us to check what it costs to get a tank inspected. He bought a tank on Ebay for $60.00, paid $30 shipping, and it is out of hydro - another $30 for hydro, vip, fill - so he's out $120 for a used tank - and we sell brand new ones for $124.95...

But either way, for you, don't trash the tank - you can get a voucher for it then grab yourself a new one.

I'd be skeptical of anyone, eBay or elsewhere, that says they're selling a "good, used tank but it just needs is a hydro & VIP". Why don't all those good used tank sellers out there get the hydro & VIP done themselves? Too lazy? Too expensive? Afraid the tank won't pass?

Don,
I just hate renting anything! why pay for someone else's stuff? that is just me renting is a good thing I just would rather buy my own stuff.

VR,
It seems I have upset you here, but I believe it is you that is miss informed as you'll notice I did say "safety alert/advisory/warning" personally I think your 1% figure is a little low but may be correct , but how would you feel about it if that 1% happens to be the one straped to your back when your on the bottom? As far as you saying I am over reacting..... well.... everone has a opion. I delt with the DOT for a few years with gas cyl and you can believe what you what but if the issue even get anywhere near close to being put on paper there is something wrong.

scubatoys,
yes I talked with Luxfer about that. It is true that alot of stuff will sell high then in a store mostly becuase people forget about shipping etc... I try to find out if something is close enough for me to go get or wroth shipping but either way for the most part I enjoy the bidding:)

UPDATE:
The seller had told me Luxfer would replace the tank for free I called they said no but they had the $50 offer They said they could not speak of the cases where poeple where injured becuase they where still in court. The seller agreed to release me form the sale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom