Was this Instructor right or wrong ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

note that the guy who started this thread started the other mask on forehead thread, and has never posted anything else.

Perhaps he is the DM in question and wants to get a good feel for popular opinion?

lamont:
note that the guy who started this thread started the other mask on forehead thread, and has never posted anything else.

Must be a burning question in his mind...

More likely a troll. The other thread is slowing down so hes throwing some more petrol on the flames.

String:
More likely a troll. The other thread is slowing down so hes throwing some more petrol on the flames.

Ding Ding Ding..... We have a winner :D :D :D

You're absolutely right, and I can't wait to see what lame argument he comes up with next.....

MY bet is "charter boat said i couldnt dive unless i agreed to wear mask around neck"

Its an obvious progression:)

If it's a troll, he missed 'cause the discussion afterwards was about instructor/dm relationship and not about m.o.f.. So who cares if it's a troll. It made a good discussion. I dont give a rats' a... about masks on forehead myself. But by complaining about the fact that it might be some troll, you only give credit to the guy, play his game and derive the conversation towards masks after all, which I still dont think is the point here.

I agree, I find it quite interesting because (correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't been on scubaboard in a while) I don't remember reading a discussion about when an instructor needs to have words with the DM.

A lot has already been said but I want to point out something else

>>By reprimanding a DM in front of the class, he's undermined the DM's authority with the students and basically showed them that the DM isn't to be trusted as a dive professional.>>

This is important, as it could carry over underwater. What happens in a situation where the instructor is busy and the DM gives instructions to the other divers and they don't obey? Or when the DM comes to the part of the OW course where they get to guide some students (newly certified or whatever)? I would never as a DM take on responsiblity for looking after some divers who weren't going to do whatever I told them. It goes for guiding certified divers as well - they need to follow the briefing.

I dunno if it's an official rule or not, but both my PADI & NAUI instructors had a "6-pack of Negra Modela for me" rule about the mask on the forehead... so I'm careful not to do it, even if they're not around. I guess it's about respect for the teachings of more experienced folks than I... they both said it's a sign of distress, so if I'm ever distressed, I hope I remember to put it on my forehead! :wink:

Foo

bubblesjw:
PADI open water class, first night in the pool. The Divemaster notices a student wearing his mask on his forehead and asks him to remove it, while starting to explain the reasons for requesting that it be removed. The Instructor (a recent NAUI crossover) hearing this, stops the entire class, stops the Divemaster, and proceeds in reprimanding the Divemaster in front of the entire class, stating that there is nothing wrong with wearing a mask on your forehead. The Divemaster is then told (in front of the class) that this class will be allowed to place thier masks on thier foreheads, and that the Divemaster will stop telling students to remove the masks. Is the Divemaster right oe wrong in being upset over this? Was the Instructor right or wrong in forcing his personal beliefs on a PADI Divemaster and Open Water class?
See what you started bubbles. This could turn into your secind most popular thread. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom