Waterproof Electric Engine!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i had a great idea for a water-proof engine

just get any engine and take it to the middle of the desert

I bought trolling motors on ebay.. as long as they still ran I butchered them down to just the housin, prop and wiring harness. I filled the motor with oil(transmission fluid, mineral oil.. whatever) becasue liquid doesn't compress. The motor ran a little slower then if there was no fluid but it still gave me a lot of pull. I did this for a DPV... my only issue I ran into is Marine goop and transmission fluid MIX and it didn't seal the hole in the motor housing well at all so it leaked... but the scooter worked to 60ft with no issues...(didn't have a chance to try it any deeper cause I shorted it out when I recharged it...)

as for your amblical.. you could get plastic cable glands to seal around your wiring then take MARINE EPOXY to seal that.... this glue works awsome!!

Anywho.. when you get it build could you send a picture of it.. would really love to see the finished design...

interesting... nothing says you can't make it ambilicle tho..couldn't u re-wire it??

hey....call up oceaneering or sonsub (ROV vendors) and ask them for suggestions:wink:

nwbrewer:
This is something I've been thinking about too, Gary D. do you have any brand recommendations on a trolling motor to look for? Are any of them Magnetically coupled? I thought most of them used a bushing that wouldn't work at any significant depth? Thanks.

jake
Motor Guide and Minnkota will both greatly exceed recreational limits. If you call the companies they will tell you 1 atm is all they are good for. But I have had both in excess of 2X the rec limit. I prefer Motor Guide as it has a smoother shaft finish.

I've got one with twin 17# Minnkotas and one with twin 36# Motor Guides. 3 mph on the 34 and don't let go or look to the side on the 72. :D

Gary D.

dang! ... might as well strap yourself to an old torpedo :wink:

We need pics and info Gary :D

COOL~~~ THAT"S WICKED!... mine well.. it would pull you at a good pace.. that's about it... I have two shakespear trolling motors...need a new prop for one...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom