Wearing a backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Gentlemen, When you wear a backplate,let's say a stainless backplate. There is no cusion? Your wetsuit acts as a cushion. Please enlighten me as I am comfort driven at times but looking into a bp/w such as DSS or Transplate. Seems TransPac is padded. Thanks for all your help. kk

Can non-gentlemen answer as well?
If not, disregard the following :wink:

Yes, the wetsuit or drysuit undies act as plenty of cusion from both the plate itself and the harness. From my most recent experience, even a T-shirt to prevent chafing of the harness is plenty when properly weighted once you're under water... however I would not want to do extended hikes (more than a few steps) when shore diving without padding :11:

I have a TransPlate and normally wear a 3/2 full wetsuit or a 3mm shortie. If I do more than 4 dives a day...it can start to be a pain in the back. So I put some sticky velcro on the plate and made a pad that has the opposite velcro...and the problem is solved. But, I would not go to a TP 2. Just me.

Only p...... uses Transpacs.......real men dive without them. The plate is contoured to your back, you can even wear it with a T-Shirt, just don't lock your keys in your car. Don't want to walk far like that.

Didn't mean to do that, ignore the first post, or the second....why is there no delete post option?

Snowbear:
From my most recent experience, even a T-shirt to prevent chafing of the harness is plenty when properly weighted once you're under water...
Trying to figure out where in Alaska you can dive in December with just a Tee shirt.:11:

Real BP divers shouldn't need a T-shirt, they should have callouses where the steel/webbing meets flesh. :wink:

Seriously though, I've dove my BP without even a T-shirt before and other than doing the "let's get in the water soon" tapdance never had a problem.

chrispete:
Real BP divers shouldn't need a T-shirt, they should have callouses where the steel/webbing meets flesh. :wink:
You have it all wrong...Padding is needed to protect the relatively soft stainless steel plate and nylon webbing from the bulging rock hard muscles of BP/Wing users.

DA Aquamaster:
You have it all wrong..from the bulging rock

The bulging rock what???? :D

So, when do my muscles start growing? I've just started with a BP/W and if I knew I'd get bulging muscles from this I would have done it a long time ago.

Seriously, I don't notice any difference between my normal BCD and a BP/W setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom