Weight and body image

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bacardi -

You speak very well, thanks! I am sure you will all have a great time on your various holidays...you know you can do like a weekend thing (there was a great yoga type retreat in Perth advertised last year that sounded like heaven...totally relaxing from the sounds, but I didn't get to go!) but to me & MHO it sounds like you all are having a great time anyway! We could all use more friends like you and your group...

In an ideal world I'd like to kick body fascists who promote unrealistic body images to the same circle of hell as those fad diet peddlers who condemn people to a cycle of diet misery.
And I love this!!

cdiver2 -

is there a need to be nasty here? I do apologise if I came off as perfect, coz I ain't.

alcina:
Bacardi -

You speak very well, thanks! I am sure you will all have a great time on your various holidays...you know you can do like a weekend thing (there was a great yoga type retreat in Perth advertised last year that sounded like heaven...totally relaxing from the sounds, but I didn't get to go!) but to me & MHO it sounds like you all are having a great time anyway! We could all use more friends like you and your group...

And I love this!!

cdiver2 -

is there a need to be nasty here? I do apologise if I came off as perfect, coz I ain't.

Sorry usually I am a very easy going guy but do get very upset when others start telling people how to live there lives.
I do believe *if it do's not effect me then it is non of my business*. The health issue look at my last post and may be you will know where I'm coming from.

G'day Cdiver2 -

I'm very sympathetic to the idea that it is up to the individual to take responsibility for their own health - I strongly believe that. And if anyone - government or individual - ordered me to lose or gain weight, I would resent the interference except, perhaps, for my physician, who presumably would be responding to my request for advice following a checkup. But there are certain problems that are a strain on the health care system that we should look to educate the public about...drinking, smoking and eating to excess I believe come under this category. I don't think we should ban Big Macs or beer, or sue McDonalds because it 'makes' us fat, but I don't think we should ignore the problems either.

I don't believe we can or should force people to stop eating excess calories or have glandular problems etc checked and treated, or that people should be stuck on treadmills or made to exercise, any more than I think it's practicable to stop people having the accidents you refer to while diving or in the gym. But while ultimate responsibility lies with the individual and no one can force you to use the treadmill properly, make sure you have proper running shoes when you go out the door for the 20km run or ensure that you dive responsibly, that doesn't mean we ignore these problems. I'd like to see folks encouraged, educated and supported so they really do take responsibility for their health and fitness.

In the end, though, it's up to each person to make that decision for themselves.

BacardiSpice:
G'day Cdiver2 -

I'm very sympathetic to the idea that it is up to the individual to take responsibility for their own health - I strongly believe that. And if anyone - government or individual - ordered me to lose or gain weight, I would resent the interference except, perhaps, for my physician, who presumably would be responding to my request for advice following a checkup. But there are certain problems that are a strain on the health care system that we should look to educate the public about...drinking, smoking and eating to excess I believe come under this category. I don't think we should ban Big Macs or beer, or sue McDonalds because it 'makes' us fat, but I don't think we should ignore the problems either.

I don't believe we can or should force people to stop eating excess calories or have glandular problems etc checked and treated, or that people should be stuck on treadmills or made to exercise, any more than I think it's practicable to stop people having the accidents you refer to while diving or in the gym. But while ultimate responsibility lies with the individual and no one can force you to use the treadmill properly, make sure you have proper running shoes when you go out the door for the 20km run or ensure that you dive responsibly, that doesn't mean we ignore these problems. I'd like to see folks encouraged, educated and supported so they really do take responsibility for their health and fitness.

In the end, though, it's up to each person to make that decision for themselves.

and I basically agree with you but.
I think there is enough advertising coming from Dr, TV and news papers/magazines to educate these people without total inexperienced strangers putting there 2c in.
Overweight people and smokers have probably heard it and read about it a thousand times.
After hearing it that many times I think it becomes resented and adds to the problem, I know I do, I smoke *because I enjoy it* and when people start to get on at me I resent it and get up tight then start to smoke more. I notice you did not address the issue, cost to the health service from all these people that get injured keeping fit. If statistics were available for keep fit/sports activity's I think the numbers would be surprising.
You mentioned people taking responsibility for there health, how? fine them if there overweight or can not lift there own body weight. And who sets the standards there are people (athletes come to mind) that would probably make you and I look like geriatric wrecks. Do we also penalize Bulimic anorexic (spelling?) people after all these are self inflicted and cost the tax payers.
One of the number one killers and cost draining things in life is drink, I don't see a big outcry to abolish that....why, most people drink and to much at times.

Hallo again Cdiver -

Hope I'm not sounding too adversarial here - as I've tried to emphasise in my posts, I'm not keen on body fascists who demand that people look a certain way, or who view with contempt anyone who doesn't fit their ideal. Nor am I talking about people who are carrying a few extra kilos. The ones I am fearful for are those like my friend, who is morbidly obese.
I think there is enough advertising coming from Dr, TV and news papers/magazines to educate these people without total inexperienced strangers putting there 2c in.
But it's not working, is it? Rather than decreasing, the obesity rates are increasing at an horrific pace. I'm not suggesting 'total inexperienced strangers' put their two cents in (you won't see me on TV with a megaphone yelling at people to get on a diet, that's for sure!), but we - Western Society - do need to do something, because the future looks pretty bleak otherwise.
I notice you did not address the issue, cost to the health service from all these people that get injured keeping fit. If statistics were available for keep fit/sports activity's I think the numbers would be surprising.
Actually, I used to work for a government department of Sport and Recreation :) I remember a study released in Oz at the time that looked at the statistics of sports related injuries. These are significant, but must be balanced against the much greater health and psychological benefits that participation in such activities provides. That's why there are Health Insurance rebates for those who participate in organised physical activities - the Health Insurance companies want to encourage a more physically active clientele so they wind up paying out less! (Which reminds me...I must make a claim on my gym membership).
You mentioned people taking responsibility for there health, how? fine them if there overweight or can not lift there own body weight.
Absolutely not! At no point in this thread have I suggested any sort of penalty for people who are not physically fit. I would find such a policy abhorant and would fight it tooth and nail. Indeed, I have particularly objected in this thread to those who stigmatise the overweight. I also object to indirect penalisations - e.g., proposals to tax less healthy food.

However, I don't think we can ignore the problem, because we are going to collectively suffer if we don't find a way to address the issue of obesity. I'm not pretending I have the answer to how it should be tackled - it's caused by genetic, environmental and behavioural factors, but we need to determine in what degree and how best to address it. Research and education would seem to be necessary, because if we do nothing we face ever rising rates of diabetes, heart disease and other associated illnesses.

After hearing it that many times I think it becomes resented and adds to the problem, I know I do, I smoke *because I enjoy it* and when people start to get on at me I resent it and get up tight then start to smoke more.
I see what you're saying, and (as I mentioned above), if anyone tried to make me lose or gain weight, I'd probably have the same reaction. However, many people have given up smoking as a result of being informed of the effects it has (I'm pleased to say that, as of a few months ago, one of my family members has done so). I'd rather people were fully aware of what effect it has on them than continue in ignorance.
And who sets the standards there are people (athletes come to mind) that would probably make you and I look like geriatric wrecks.
Setting standards is a very contentious issue - the BMI index, for example, measures some muscle dense athletes as 'overweight' due to the height/weight formula it uses. I'm in favour of people striving towards broader guidelines. Everything in moderation, including moderation! (As an aside, I'm not an 'athlete', but even next to an athlete I'm not going to look like a geriatric wreck. I work out at the gym five days a week on cardio machines including a couple of intensive spin classes, do three weight lifting sessions a week, do a long weekend run of up to 20km, do Pilates, do 40 minutes a day walking to and from my work transport, as well as unscheduled excercise such as ocean swimming).
One of the number one killers and cost draining things in life is drink, I don't see a big outcry to abolish that....why, most people drink and to much at times.
I specifically mentioned drink along with cigarettes and excess eating as some of the health problems that we need to tackle. I *also* said, if you read my response, that I don't believe in taking away people's beer. Drinking is, however, controlled - at least here in Oz. We have limits to blood alcohol levels when driving, and responsible drinking legislation makes it illegal to serve alcohol to those who are either intoxicated or behaving irresonsibly. There are also educational campaigns on the social ills of drinking.

As stated, I don't believe in *forcing* anyone to lose weight. If someone is morbidly obese, and choses not to do anything about it, then that is entirely their prerogative (just as if they choose not to seek treatment for another non-communicable health condition). However, I'd like to see them make an informed choice, be encouraged to shed excess weight, and have support made available to them if they do choose to lose weight.

Out of curiousity, what is your suggested approach to the rising rates of obesity? Do you think the problem should be simply ignored? How do you advocate we tackle it?

Boy I'm going to open my mouth and seriously get flamed on this one.

My wife is a very petite lady. Obese people are not the only ones that are faced with negative feedback. My wife is NOT one of these snotty sorority girls who make fun of all the "non-perfect" people but for some reason she gets this very dirty looks when she walks down the mall or street from individuals like they want to rip her head off. "That skinny fu&#ing B#tch"

As far as minding my own business. I have a dive buddy that is lets say a good 50lb overweight but could loose at least 70lb without hurting him any. I myself could afford to loose 20lb. My dive buddies and I told him he needs to loose weight if he wants to continue to dive deep with us. Why should we do this? Because I don't want to have to haul his body out of the water and then make a trip to his house, knock on his door, and tell his wife and two young children that he died while out with us diving. It happened to us once before "On fathers day no less" and I don't want to have to do it again. I'd rather open my mouth and ruffle a few feathers than keep my mouth shut and then wonder why no one said anything after the person has passed on.

Now that being said I do agree with the statements that skinny does not mean healthy. I also realize than not all larger people have control over their weight and that sometimes it is a medical reason for this. However there is a problem out there right now. You see more large children than ever. Why. It's not medical. It's because they sit in front of the TV watching it or playing video games instead of being outside and being active.

Jason

I will grant you that but what about the concern of a loved one? I couldn't care less what some talking head on the tv says but if one of my family members were to say something it would certainly carry a lot of weight with me.

And what about over all impact? Bacardispice (love that name!) mentions her father's bypass, heart disease is becoming more & more prevalent & in fact is now the fastest rising cause of death in women in North America.

To compare sports related injuries to smoking or weight related health concerns is probably not an equal comparison. Most sport injuries do not require long term chronic care to the extent that things like emphysema and heart disease do. And even with my busted up knees I can still do most anything I want, which would be very difficult dragging an O2 tank around with me.

As a former smoker I empathize with you, I too enjoyed it. In fact a friend once told me that I was the last person she thought would quit because I enjoyed every cigarette so much. But in the end, like eveything else in life, I quit for me because it was what I wanted.

You can't make anyone be anything they don't want to be. But you also don't have to stand by silently while those you love harm themselves. And that's the kicker for me, if it's someone you love, who means that much too you, than it's no longer none of your business, it's very much your business.

The media-fueled obsession with looks (and especially the looks of females) is really rough on everyone, men and women alike. It's absolutely overwhelming--undermines everyone's personal sense of what they believe and want. I honestly wonder if the whole anti-obesity hysteria, even the "it's purely a health issue" part of it, is being fueled by people who would stand to profit from it. And there are a lot of those.

Incidentally, I had and still have some weight-related issues myself--always was kind of a chubby kid and still could stand to lose a good 30-40 lbs although I'm naturally somewhat heavyset and so 225-230 lbs on me doesn't really *look* like obesity. But anymore my looks aren't really much of an issue...I want to lose a bit of weight eventually for health reasons because high blood pressure and things run in my family. Also I KNOW that I need to quit smoking, and not because people in the media tell me to ignore the ads in those very same media telling to smoke more (some of which tell me to smoke More hehe).

Right now the biggest body issue I have is that I'm a hairy mofo, and my legs are short. :D

cheers

Billy S.

I know exactly what you are saying as far as frame size. I'm 5'-9" and I weight 210lb and I would not consider myself fat. I use to smoke and enjoyed it very much. At that time I was 235lb and the access weight was noticeable. I was 26 years old with chest pains, overweight, stressed due to my job and a family history of heart attacks. My wonderful wife had never said anything to me about the condition I had LET myself get to because she didn't want to hurt my feelings. In high school when I met her I weighted a slim 180lbs. After I stepped back and looked at myself I realized that sitting on my *** doing nothing and smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day was doing nothing but sending myself to an early grave. I got a bit pissed off at myself and made up my mind to do something about it. I quit smoking dropped down to 190lb (This is why I know I can afford to loose 20lb. see previous post) and took up diving which is something I've always wanted to do ever since I was a 5 year old kid watching my uncle doing it.
JK

cdiver2:
This health issue gets old and tiring very fast. What about all the health nuts that strain something at the gym, bikers that fall off, and joggers that keel over from exertion, lets stop all of this its a strain on the health system.

I suspect those injured/sick/dying are small in comparison to those who end up with serious health issues due to obesity. I don't say this because I am concerned about the health system; I say it because I am concerned about people in my own life who struggle with obesity. My mother is significantly overweight. It makes her unhappy and it endangers her health. She is already on medication for hypertension. I do not push her and I would never want her to be a magazine model; I love her how she is, and it is BECAUSE I love her that I am concerned about her.

I'm in favor of being healthy, not of striving towards unrealistic goals to align with the media. Being healthy also consists of HEALTHY weight loss (or gain) which does not support the fad diets and super-machines that promise quick fixes over the television. While I work out on some machines to build my endurance for diving, horseback riding, and skating, I don't think that to remain healthy one needs to become exercise gerbils.

I'm always in favor of getting out and doing something. Beats sitting at home counting carbs and logging time on the stairmaster. I play basketball or have water balloon fights with Jim's kids. THAT burns calories. I dance around and play air guitar when a song I like comes on. I walk around the city during my lunch hour not to "power walk", but to check out new areas and find new shops and galleries.

cdiver2:
And while we are at it we had better outlaw diving talk about a strain. Boats and chopers out looking for them then when they are found the pilot has to stay low if they are bent thats endangering the public.

I am of the very strong opinion that people have the right to hurt themselves. I also know that this isn't what a lot of obese people are doing and it isn't easy, and it isn't necessarily just "eat less; work more". I struggled with my weight through my youth and had the added pressure of being a competitive ice skater. Finally, with a lot of effort, I was able to lose 40 lbs, and I've got a few more to go, but I finally feel more healthy, more comfortable in my own body, and I can do so much more because I have endurance. I do not think that things that contribute to obesity should be banned (though I do cringe when people raise their children on fast food and have the kids reaching obesity early in life; way to create a lasting health problem!), and I have a huge problem with people refusing to take responsibility by suing the companies who produce the stuff they chose to eat.

Ishie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom