Weight harness vs weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My weight belt (mesh compartments with a zipper) went bad in a quick hurry so I bought a DUI weight & trim II harness. I gave it a good workout today and I'm glad to say I lucked out, it works great.

* With my weight belt much of the weight was in the back (30lbs). With my steel tank this caused some front/back balance problems that I solved with 4lbs in front pockets. The harness puts the weight on my sides and I easily float upright without any effort or movement for as long as I want.

* Putting on the weights is easy, just put one arm through the harness and complete the rest without much effort. It certainly beats the ol' 30lb sling across the back and leaning over while cinching the belt too way tight.

* Walking around with the weights is easier. Having the shoulder supports makes a noticeable, real difference.

Whether it is a DUI harness or any of a few others I heartily recommend giving it a try sometime. I am a new fan of them!

I have one also. It's been a life saver or actually a back saver for me. I use it mostly when I dive my recreational configuration in my drysuit with the heavy undergarments (650 gm). It's a considerable amount of weight, so I split it between the weight harness & my BC. The only complaints I have (& they're minor) is that I have the quick release buckle in the front & it doesn't stay together very well & also (it more just me than anything) that it's a real tight ft between my BC & the harness being too low on my hips that it interferes with my mobility. Other than that, I love it!

I've been diving the classic DUI weight & trim for 8 years now.....wouldn't think of going back to a regular weight belt. Like Tammy, it's saved my back, but it's also saved the bruising on my hips from block weight belt resting there. Of course, only women would have this problem.......

I guess one benefit of my cheep-ish mares origin jacket BCD is it isn't very rigid anywhere so I don't notice much conflict with my other gear.

I can definitely see the benefit for people with back trouble.

Maybe the only thing I can't quite figure out yet is this - in the open water class it was and still is required for you to remove your weights and put them back on while floating at surface in deeper water. With this harness you'd have to remove your BCD and harness and gloves, it would be a big hassle. I guess this skill is so you can put your weight belt back on if it slips off, which wouldn't happen with this harness. Also you could put your weight pockets back in if they slipped out, which wouldn't happen with the harness as well.

I guess this skill is so you can put your weight belt back on if it slips off, which wouldn't happen with this harness. Also you could put your weight pockets back in if they slipped out, which wouldn't happen with the harness as well.

I just looked it up online, and it seems like you can release the pockets in an emergency. Although it's unlikely, I imagine you could release them by accident underwater, so you ought to be able to demonstrate putting them back in as well.

Maybe the only thing I can't quite figure out yet is this - in the open water class it was and still is required for you to remove your weights and put them back on while floating at surface in deeper water. With this harness you'd have to remove your BCD and harness and gloves, it would be a big hassle. I guess this skill is so you can put your weight belt back on if it slips off, which wouldn't happen with this harness. Also you could put your weight pockets back in if they slipped out, which wouldn't happen with the harness as well.
IT kinda sucks, but in reality, I have done this very thing. While diving off the Aristakat out of Venice Florida, I plopped in without my harness. So they handed me the harness and I proceeded to slip out of my BP&Wings, into my harness and then back into my BP&Wings. It was obvious that I needed practice with this, so I forgot the harness on my second dive as well! :D

I have the same harness and love it. I bought it last winter for ice diving and although I have only used it for cold water diving when I need more weight to offset the added buoyancy of a thicker wet suit it will be my go to weight system when I switch to a back plate and wing next year.

I am thinking about getting something similar to the harness. Do they make them in XXL?

The comment about taking weight off and putting on at the surface. I would have a greater fear of losing my weight belt at the surface. I could not retrieve the 24lb belt. I would not try putting on in the water, but have taken it off to toss on my kayak or inflatable to make it easier to board.

Back
Top Bottom