Weight harness vs weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am reading this thread as someone will be changing from a jacket style bc to a bp/w or Dive Rite "Transpac" kinda thing.
I am still figuring this out.
I dove with a weight belt from '77 to '03. I am not going back to a weight belt for several reasons, pricipally I no longer find them comfortable or safe for my use and style of diving.
So:
This having been said here goes.
I MUST have pockets of some kind for my two otter boxes, Capri Suns, slate, emergency gear, and whatnot.
I generally put two 5 pound ingots on my back in the buckle pockets on the Avid (I really only need 7-8 pounds, but I like to dive a little heavy), and add a couple of two pounders into the ditchable weight pockets during the winter when I put on a wetsuit.
I really do like my Sherwood Avid for beach diving. I sometimes need to do 1/2 mile walks along the beach upon returning to shore. The Sherwood really feels like a backpack. The weight is very well distributed and I do no more of the hunch walk than you might expect with a quality backpack on a jaunt in the woods or up the mountain.
So this being said, would this weight harness thing be a good idea for primarily shore diving, or is it a good idea to just stick with the whole weight integration thing on a bp/w config clone for warm water guys like me?

I do not understand how you cold water divers do it...when the water gets below 65 I cannot think or breathe when it gets that cold.
THERE IS NO POSSIBILTY OF A DRY SUIT IN MY LIFETIME, (But I am so glad that some of you folks learned how to use them)!

Chug

Its not cold till the water is less then 40F and your suit freezes as you get out of the water. That means that the air temp is less then 32F, more like 20F or less.

Then, its Cold!

I do not understand how you cold water divers do it...when the water gets below 65 I cannot think or breathe when it gets that cold.
THERE IS NO POSSIBILTY OF A DRY SUIT IN MY LIFETIME, (But I am so glad that some of you folks learned how to use them)!

Chug

My first two OWDs ever were 4C (39F), done in a 7mm shorty + farmer john wetsuit. The next two dives were at 1C (34F).

Was I certified, or certifiable?

Lessons learned (fourty six+ dives later):

1. I love my drysuit - it was worth every penny; and
2. Diving with only a 3mm wetsuit (in FL) was paradise - if you have buoyancy control cold water gear, you can stand on your head and spin in a warm water environment. :)

if you have buoyancy control cold water gear, you can stand on your head and spin in a warm water environment. :)

I think you might be ready for a move to Weeki Wachee Springs State Park down here.
How do you look in a bathing suit with your tail showing?

Chug
(Irreverant Clown)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom