Weight harness vs weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can definitely ditch the weights, one or both sides, whenever you want. Just pull the big yellow rings assertively. I've done it a few times. However, putting them back onto the harness requires threading a thick nylon line through six or so eyelets with the harness off. This won't happen in the water. On land or boat this wouldn't be a big deal to do though.

The release is very positive though, it isn't going to release accidentally. I think that is why the OW skill is there for replacing your weights when they slip off or out.

With integrated weights, we only expect the student to be able to add and subtract weights from their pockets. It's an easy enough skill to master. :D

1 year later and my DUI weight and trim II harness bit the dust.

On both shoulder straps where the webbing is sewn onto the wide shoulder/back portion the material has shredded. On the bottom, where the webbing sews into the plates that hold the weight pockets the material has busted all the way through on both sides.

Probably around 100 dives on it. Not bad for a weight belt/harness I guess, they take abuse. I wasn't particularly bad to this. I regularly carry 34 lbs in it, sometimes 36 lbs if I need to stay on the bottom for aquarium work. Not left out in sunlight, not pulled overly tight.

I immediately bought a DUI W&T Classic. Very happy with the system. I pull the pockets every once in a while to keep the string from setting up and to keep me/others in practice.

I guess I'm the odd man out (as usual):wink: as I didn't particularly like it. I tried one for several dives. I found that it takes a little weight off your waist but puts it on your shoulder so it was no real advantage. It's not like the advantage of a backpack hiking where it's actually putting it on your hips which is easier.

It's fine if you don't have to walk far so either a boat dive or a nearby shore dive but in that case so is a regular weight belt. My buddy had one and it wore out after a few months, was replaced and started to tear after another few months so he quit using it as well.

The weights are a pain to get back in. At $100 it just seemed like solving a problem that didn't really exist. It's kind of like my DUI drysuit...it's supposed to be robust but I had to have the zipper replaced (warranty), the pockets are wearing out and the seals are paper thin.

I found that once I got the weight off my waist with a BP and steel tanks a standard waist belt was fine.

I've got about 150 dives on mine, no real signs of wear. I like it, much more secure than a weight belt. Doesn't slip, doesn't move, keeps the weight where you put it. :)

I picked one up on ebay for $50 and won't go back to a weight belt.

I've got about 150 dives on mine, no real signs of wear. I like it, much more secure than a weight belt. Doesn't slip, doesn't move, keeps the weight where you put it. :)

Just curious - do you have the WT II or the classic?

Pretty much what jeckyll said except I've got almost 200 dives on mine. No way I'd go back to a belt.

I got my W&T II in 2002 or so after the 2nd back opperation and it is still going but getting faded a bit. I did go through 2 of the female quick disconects and finaly took them off and convert it to use a standard stainless steel buckel. But the webbing of the harness is too thin for most buckles, what I did was to cut the thinner webbing back to about 5 " and sew on standard weight belt webbing.

The shoulder harness allows me to get up vertical in the water on deco hangs and get all of the weight off of my back. As my deco hangs can reach 60+ minutes on some dives, this is a real back saver for me.

I noticed that Aqua makes Weight Belt Suspenders (see Aqua Weight Belt Suspenders ) - this $20 item should allow you to convert a weight belt into a DUI-like system. Does anyone see any drawbacks to this cheap way out?

Back
Top Bottom