weight plates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamtodd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering if anyone on here has used weight plates on their BP. I am looking into setting up a single tank rig with a dry suit and LP 95's, and it has become apparent that I am gonna need more weight then I expected.

Some of the local dive shops recommended some alternatives, but I don't really dig plastic components, or weight belts.

I saw weight plates available through DSS, and they looked pretty good.
Pro's? Con's? Alternatives?

I think the DSS weight plates fit only DSS BP's. I use a weighted STA, adds about 6#.

My husband uses them and loves them. I don't like them, because I like to be able to remove any extra weight from my rig in order to lift it into the car.

I made a wedge weight for my single tank rig. You can take most any channel/STA and pour it full of lead. You can also take thick stainless plate and cut whatever you want if you have the necessary equipment. Of course you could just buy a DSS rig with weight plates, or a Halcyon weighted STA. I think there are even other brands that offer weighted STA's.

It depends on the amount of weight you want to fit to the backplate. I think up to 6lbs can go nicely into some trim weight pockets on the cam band. More than that, and you're looking at a weighted STA.

If weight is an issue... make sure that you opt for the heaviest SS backplate that you can get. They don't all weigh the same...

I love my DSS weight plates. With my heavy drysuit, I trim out nicely and still have a significant weight belt.

I took some stainless steel sheeting and made my own. Work fine, but a butch to drill and thread bolt holes. For the volume, lead is heavier and you may wish to consider that instead.
Also added weights to cam band pockets.

Fold up some lead sheet flashing like a Samurai sword
and beat and mould it into the V of the plate with wood.

You can coat it in rubber or plastic if you like.

Unless you keep a raft in there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom