Weights with BP/WINGS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ok, i have been diving a BC for three years but moving up
to a BP/Wings.

I am getting the DR Trek wings, with aluminum BP and
a single-tank adaptor for my continuing cave education.

i normally need a little weight (3 lbs) to get negative
at the beginning of a dive with a single steel 95 tank.

question:

what is the best way to carry weight with this rig?
weight belt? weight pouches?

thank you in advance!

Just curious Andy ... have you tried this rig out before buying? Reason I ask is that I've tried the Trek wing with a steel 95 and decided the short, wide "footprint" of the wing wasn't really suitable for this particular cylinder. It seemed a bit less stable than other wings I've tried. YMMV, of course, but if you can do with a little less buoyancy ... and are not considering adapting the wing for small doubles at some point ... you might want to consider the Venture wing instead.

As for weights, the DR weight pockets are a nice system if you can trim out right with them. I couldn't, so I went back to using a weight belt. Then again, diving up here I carry considerably more weight than you'd need. For me the pockets seemed to ride a bit high on the waist strap.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you're not worried about ditchable weight, you can use a weighted STA and not have a weight belt at all. Pockets are usually not the best solution, so in lieu of a STA, I'd go with a belt.

MD

yes, i tried the rig and it worked well for me BUT i had a very large canister light,
halogen, that provided my weight. i am getting rid of that one and getting a light-weight HID light, hence the problem.

what's an STA?

ah, of course... thanks...

(remember, this is my first BP/Wings set up!)

H2Andy:

MechDiver:
If you're not worried about ditchable weight, you can use a weighted STA and not have a weight belt at all. Pockets are usually not the best solution, so in lieu of a STA, I'd go with a belt.

MD

Don't ditch weights in caves. It messes up the floor and pins you to the roof.

Andy, If you need a little weight I would try a simple weight belt first. If you need to move the weight for trim ok but I'd start simple.

Several of my regular diving buddies have gotten the DUI weight harness for use with singles(AL80)/drysuit and love that arrangement over anything else they've tried.
For the 95 and the small amount of weight you're using I think that'd be overkill and a weightbelt's the way to go - but for future reference you might want to give the DUI harness a try.
Rick

H2Andy:
ok, i have been diving a BC for three years but moving up
to a BP/Wings.

i normally need a little weight (3 lbs) to get negative
at the beginning of a dive with a single steel 95 tank.

question:

what is the best way to carry weight with this rig?
weight belt? weight pouches?

thank you in advance!

After talking to a cave instructor, he suggested - that when just starting out with a backplate - that I use a weight belt with my SS backplate. The catch is that I only put on the weight belt what I think I will need at the end of the dive but before ascent.

For the initial descent, attach additional drop-weights to your bcd with clips equivelent to what you would need to ascend safely. When you get to the entrance of the cave or an area you will be returning to, you clip of the weights there. When you return, re-attach the weights before ascent.

thanks everybody for your suggestions.

i'll go with a weightbelt at first, see how that goes. may even try a drop weight
(i have a few lying around, might as well use them) later on.

again, thank you!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom