Welcome to the Unified Diving Industry Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dick Long

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Some people are asking why this petition effort. Without question I am the person who started this process. I was encouraged and helped by number of other industry leaders.

First let me set the record straight this is not an effort to harm PADI. They have done a lot of good things for diving. I have a number of friends there. When they work on dry suit things I help them. My products are in their manuals. When I need something I go to them. They are 60% of the market. It would be stupid for anyone to attempt to harm 60% of the market. In the rules for the upcoming SDRG forum in Chicago it clearly states “No company or Dema bashing will be allowed. We are here it improve diving for all”.
I support the “Be a Diver” program. I do believe there are better ways of doing it. I and a few of PADI’s leaders do not always agree on things. I have also disagreed with other industry leaders as well. For the most part we work together on the things we can agree on. My record proves that.

The reality is the diving industry is in decline and has been for a number of years. What we are doing collectively is not working. Most agree things must change if we want a better outcome. This is the only reason for the petition.

After a great deal of discussion most agree we must start by helping our retailers. So we reactivated the Scuba Diving Resource Group or SDRG. We will conduct a form or forms just as we did with Nitrox to formulate a plan and tools that can be used by anyone to help our Retailers. We will start this process by first gathering information from divers as to what they want from the diving industry. Then we will work with retailers to learn what they need to improve their businesses. We invite your participation in finding the solutions to these many challenges by sharing your thoughts and ideas with everyone else in the diving industry through the SDRG’s efforts. There are several methods for doing this.
Thanks for listening.
Dick Long
SDRG Facilitator.

Hi Dick,
welcome to the cyberspace! Or should I call it "Virtual Space"?

Isn't this interesting? We are ONLINE trying to figure out how to help "Brick and Mortar" businesses?

Alberto
P.S.
your TLS350 works as a charm in our sim :wink:

I became a diver after seeing a diver come out of the water while at a campground along the DEL coast. I knew there was such a thing as diving but not much more. My point is this; We are exposed to a some sports in school and a lot of differnt ones on TV. But SCUBA seems far in the background.

Lately we are seeing more diving on TV (Discovery, National Geographic, and a few others) We should promote diving during some of these shows and do a nationwide school campaign. For the school campaign local dive shops could sponser these with funds from the industry and some out of pocket. This would give young people exposure to diving. It would take a while to gain a return but it would get SCUBA out of the background. Just some ideas. I have more.

For those of you who don't know Dick very well, this is his first attempt at dealing on the web.

Be kind and be clear!

Hi Dick,

Glad you are here finally as well!

As virtually anybody who has spent a few minutes on Scubaboard will know I've been a vocal critic of the DEMA organization for a few years now. I certainly haven't been alone in the industry and indeed a few folks have been right alongside me on that issue. More surprising to me was the degree of support I got within the industry from people afraid to voice their dissatisfaction. I refuse to be afraid of a industry organization! I have contacted DEMA many times to voice my concerns and ultimately felt they were on a course that would not change no matter how apparent the reef ahead.

When I heard thru the grapevine about three weeks back that Dick was talking with some other industry folks regarding trying to convince the DEMA BOD to change some horrible policies and actions they have made. I immediately contacted him and offered my support, then I started bothering every industry person I knew to do the same:D

We have the opportunity here to effect real change and it is important to us in the industry trying to do and share what we love while supporting our families and also to all of yo divers and those that may someday be. It's also vital to have divers as ambassadors of our aquatic realms that so few get to see yet we get to explore with such wonder. Without some type of "industry" support that last would be very difficult.

This is very much a grass root plan, one that will require a great deal of thought and effort from all of us, industry and divers, casual and fanatics! I'll say what so many in the industry know but have been reluctant to say our loud, we've haven't done our best by you, we haven't listened well and indeed we haven't always treated you well.

This start a listening process, listening to dealers, instructors(affiliated and independent) and most importantly from the divers, what do YOU need and how can we best serve your needs? I expect a sometimes painful conversation, sometimes lively and alway enlightening to come out of this.

I want to plead with my fellow industry members, many of who have been somewhat reluctant to engage in venues like this to engage now. It isn't the time to be a wall flower and from somewhat bitter high school experience being a wall flower doesn't get you much action....:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom