Well, looks like I'm done diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(As many of the others have said), I'm sorry to hear of your DCS hit.
My 2 cents:remember that it is entirely your call regarding whether or not you seek out other medical opinions, what to do with those opinions, and whether or not to dive again based on those opinions.
Stop diving-great, see more MDS, then stop diving or keep diving, great.
In any event, take the time to heal. If the symptoms disappear, then wait see if you miss diving enough to look into diving again.

My story: an "unexplained DCS 2 hit in '04, 6 chamber rides,7 months until all symptoms were gone, returned to diving 22 months after the hit.

Whatever you decide, here's hoping for a complete recovery and a healthy life.

I sincerly hate to see anyone have to give up any sport that that love due to an injury.

Come on.... Really?

I'm really surprised I was the first one to ask. I'm almost certain I wasn't the first one to think it.

The op did mention parting with his gear.

Code Monkey - sorry to hear about your DCS and I understand your decision. I haven't even been able to start diving yet, but it's sad to hear about someone who loves it feeling they have to give it up. Hope that you find a new hobby that you love just as much as you did diving and good luck!

On a completely unrelated note, I have to ask about your user name. Are you a JoCo fan?

The op did mention parting with his gear.

He did, fair enough, but I just would hate the guy to make a hasty decision from the encouragement of someone trying to score a good deal.

He did, fair enough, but I just would hate the guy to make a hasty decision from the encouragement of someone trying to score a good deal.

The last thing I want to see is someone give up the sport of diving. If it was me I would get 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinions. Before I even considered selling my gear. I was just wondering if he descion was final.

The comments are good. It's not a SPORT (IMO)--old guys like me can do it. Sorry there are so few posts on that other wannabee forum.

Glad you are doing ok now! I took an undeserved hit In Coz a few years ago. I was fortunate in that I only needed 2 chamber rides to become symptom free. I was told to get checked for a pfo and bingo. I got the surgery and have been almost as aggressive in diving as I was before (on aggressor trip in Palau I limited myself to 4 dives a day - except for a couple days :)I also had been on much more aggressive dive trips. My trip to Coz was one of the mildest dive trips I've ever made. I sent my profile in to duke diving and some guy doing a study of unprovoked hits. All agreed I was well within safe parameters. If you want to get a second opinion do so but I would be concerned by 2 things. One, your long term symptoms. Mine were resolved and I was symptom free after a 6 hour treatment followed by a 3 hour treatment. No problems since then (well open heart surgery a heart ablation, total knee replacement, shoulder surgery for torn rotator cuff but no DIVE related problems:D - been an interesting 2 yrs. After the pfo surgery (oh, I forgot to include that in my whine) I went back to diving (whenever I was out of the damn hospital) but I'm older and frankly if IT happens while I'm diving I'm perfectly ok with that. 2nd concern is that you have had a DIVE doc tell you to quit. That's a bit compelling. Make up your own mind but I would not consider the fact that you had an unprovoked hit to mean you are destined for another. Get that pfo check if you have too many second thoughts. Then if you still want to sell your gear:confused:JUST KIDDING, I already have enough gear to equip a squadron of navy seals. When I'm gone guys feel free to make any reasonable offer to my wife - wait, not that kind of offer! :no:

A good friend of mine was in the NEDU (Naval Experimental Diving Unit) for quite a long time and was bent on several occasions. The last hit he took also almost took his life. He still dives, but nowhere nearly as aggressively as he once did. In fact, he limits himself to 40 feet and about half of his NDL. Via con Dios my friend. It's tough for all of us to read this kind of post. It's a good gut check that encourages conservative diving practices for all of us.

Back
Top Bottom