Well, looks like I'm done diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry dude. Second the get other opinions advice but only if you really want to. There is no problem with putting the needs of your family first. Even if you possibly could dive the question would be, could you still enjoy it with the possible outcome the docs have told you in your mind. If not then don't even risk it or take the time to find out. Put your efforts into something else that you could enjoy.

Heck buy an AR or AK and a few thousand rounds of ammo and have fun shooting the crap out of stuff at the range!

I wonder if, under the described circumstances, one might be able to continue diving and stay above 30 feet?

I was wondering the same thing. Some of the dives I've done that were super awesome were 25 foot.

I am of the opposite mind of many here. I love diving, but the day I think it is a substantial risk to my health marks the end of my diving career—no second opinion necessary.

I was wondering the same thing. Some of the dives I've done that were super awesome were 25 foot.

Yep! I got a 27 cf Faber expressedly so I could snorkel around and find a great place to drop to 20-30 feet and just hang out for a while. A lot less weight and bother. Between the 27 and my 13 cf pony I have just over half an 80 cf aluminum tank (77 cf) which at shallow depths isn't bad. If I stay 10 feet above the reef, at 30 feet I'm looking down at 40 foot depths. Far better than dry land. Also, I will never give up snorkeling. Been doing it since I was a kid and still love it. I often spend my surface interval snorkeling.

IMHO, undeserved hits are like undeserved motorcycle accidents: they happen.

If you keep riding - with a similar riding style - the probability that you have a second motorcycle accident are the same as for the first one.

I don't remember anymore how many times I fell.

I have lots of broken bones and few scars.

I keep riding :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

IMHO, undeserved hits are like undeserved motorcycle accidents: they happen.

If you keep riding - with a similar riding style - the probability that you have a second motorcycle accident are the same as for the first one.

I don't remember anymore how many times I fell.

I have lots of broken bones and few scars.

I keep riding :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)
I don't that post is going to help him get back in the water. :eek:

I understand your feelings enough to see why you never want to go thru all that again, as well as the risk of a worse hit - but I do hope you seek the opinions of DAN & Duke physicians and other dive medicine experts before you sell your gear. Hell, you could quit scuba and then get killed by your next sport?! Hope you do well either way...

Everything depends on how big a loss this is to you.

You might consider getting a transcranial Doppler to assess for a shunt. PFO is one of the things associated with undeserved hits, particularly neurologic ones, and PFOs can be closed.

Codemonkey, only you can make the decision as to your future diving, if any. But as I read through the experiences of some in this thread, if I was you, and I am not, I would certainly investigate the risks of future diving further. I don't know where your final decision will fall, but from one diver to another, I wish you all the best, and hope that you may yet have the physical ability and personal desire to dive again. But if not, I celebrate your past history and I'm glad you are ok.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom