Were you taught dive planning using tables or computers?

Were you taught tables or computer & were you taught how to plan a dive?

• I was taught tables, but not really taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 32 12.4%
  • I was taught tables and was taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 183 70.9%
  • I was taught to use a computer and was not really taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I was taught a computer and was taught how to plan a dive with the computer

Votes: 25 9.7%
  • Some other variation, please explain

Votes: 19 7.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I found out ahead of her class that she wasn't going to learn tables I called the shop and asked them about it. They said PADI doesn't teach tables anymore. I'm glad to hear that other divers who were recently certified were taught tables as I think it's a very good background to have when you're going to learn the computer.

I guess the big concern for me is, how do you teach how to plan out your NDL and surface intervals without knowing how to operate the computer?

And some of you mentioned you received instruction on gas planning and that is important to planning a dive as well. I completely agree and I wish I would have been taught that in OW and AOW myself. (I'm not sure if you're required to do gas planning in AOW, but I was not taught that in my class. I have learned something from NWGratefulDiver's website on gas planning.)

I was taught USN tables in 1971 (NASDS) and was taught some dive planning. My husband was also taught USN tables in 1991 (NAUI or PADI, his AOW is PADI, but I think OW is NAUI), don't know about dive planning. My sons (2011, PADI) were taught computers and not tables, but were taught dive planning as the rule of 3rds.

Since I like understanding tables I tossed the RDP to my sons individually, gave them a repetitive dive problem and no instruction, and then watched them correctly run the tables like they had been doing them for years. I quit worrying about it at that point.

For my PADI DM I had to run the RDP, and the eMLRDP. I used the eMLRDP once before using it on my test - all correct. Both versions are much easier than I remember the USN tables being.

If you want to see visually how the computer is calculating the nitrogen loading over time check out the free beta version of divePAL. It's a great way to visualize the nitrogen levels and the computer display.

Other Variation. My dad and I taught ourselves the tables (1963 USN), dive planning, and gas planning to avoid using the J-valve (good luck on that).

When I took the NAUI/PADI OW class I was taught the tables (1980 PADI) and dive planning. Gas planning was much better when you have a pressure gauge to see how you are doing.

I use a computer now but run the tables in my head from habit but, it's hard because the computer can fudge depth and time better than I can.

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

When I re-certified in march (30+ years since original certification and dives) the shop / instructor I took my OW class (PADI) from taught tables AND the eRDPml plus dive planning with a little gas management thrown in. They gave a brief explaination of computer functions, but we were never taught how to operate a dive computer as the shop said each computer will have differences and it was best to read the manual on whichever computer you eventually bought. So thats what I did...read the manual but I still use the eRDPml to plan the dive.

I learned computer diving when I did my class a year ago. We were also shown tables but not in much detail. I took it upon myself to figure out how they work so that I can use tables as a backup.

PADI still primarily teach tables, but there is now a computer only option. Whichever method is chosen, teaching dive planning is COMPULSORY. If the computer only option is taught, there is a REQUIRED extra manual on top of the Open Water Diver Manual. If the instructor didn't cover dive planning adequately then they are breaking standards. The dive shop were wrong to tell you that PADI no longer teach tables.

I still definitely teach tables, although I introduce them to computer diving because it is so common in the industry, but make it clear that you should know tables so you know what your computer is doing. Computers are great, but they do make divers lazy about dive planning. As soon as it is on a diver's wrist I find they tend not to bother planning the dive and just jump in the water and follow blindly what it tells them. Worse, is what I see far too often - Divemasters allowing their customers to follow their computers, and the customers have no idea that this is not a good idea (often neither does the Divemaster). It is amazing how many people come to me to start Divemaster training with no computer and no idea how to use tables. Their entire dive experience has been spent blindly following a divemaster.

Choose your instructor carefully! Time to put a bit more discipline into diving whilst still keeping it fun!

Started with commercial dive tables (Comex) which are based on USN tables as all commercial tables were at that time back in 1985 with minor modifications.

When I started recreational diving in 1986 I used BSAC tables, then moved over to PADI tables in 1991, which are much simpler.

At some point I bought a PADI wheel, and used that until I bought my first computer (Suunto Companion), however I still continued to use the wheel and recorded my dives and calculated pressure groups etc., after every dive. I was still a bit skeptical on using something that could fail whilst diving, and still use a watch and depth gauge to this day. Stopped all pressure group recording sometime in the late 90s.

After my NITROX training (with tables) I half expected PADI to produce a NITROX wheel, however since nearly everyone uses computers these days I guess it was not worth their while going down that road probably economically at any rate.

I have done dive and gas planning from Day 1 as I was told from Day 1 my life depended on it "Ye cannae break the laws of physics laddie" as my old instructor frequently reminded me.

I learned to dive using tables and do my planning with them. I still believe this is the way to teach and test divers with. Once new divers successfully complete and pass this section it would be good to give a good overview of DC’s, how they work and what you should be looking for in one.

We only had the RN tables when I was shown how to dive.

At elementary level (Ocean Diver) dive planning is done initially using tables, but the use of computors (in general) is also taught. On their final qualifying dive students have the choice of planning the dive by either method - what we are looking for is can the dive be planned safely the tool used isn't that important.

Today we teach the Rule of Thirds (for gas management) at elementary level, leaving the more complex calculations to the higher levels.

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom